CNC, Tool & Die, Entry

Ef8sirJunkie

Ok i have been working as an Auto tech since i have got out of high school. I have been with my company for 4years now. I really wont to go to college for CNC machinist and was wondering if anyone on here new of any entry level positions available right now as a CNC Apprentice or work in the Tool & Die department, etc. it would really help me out in finding my career. Thanks.

I would not suggest that as a career right now. The US does not have much manufacturing anymore. I was a machine tool rebuilder before becoming a Chiropractor, it was a family business. My father still works in that industry, and business is not good right now.

I understand but i think its also the company you work for. my brother works for smith medical and medical supplies and equipment will never hurt in this market. i cant work there because they dont wont family working together. I know alot of places have laid off i was just wondering if any place was doing well and still looking for work. maybe i should look into another type of career.

I understand but i think its also the company you work for. my brother works for smith medical and medical supplies and equipment will never hurt in this market. i cant work there because they dont wont family working together. I know alot of places have laid off i was just wondering if any place was doing well and still looking for work. maybe i should look into another type of career.

Most of the Jobs as CNC machinist are really more of a parts changer position. The programmers will make a bit more money. I would not go into that field right now. I keep good tabs on the machine industry because my father is still in it and I was too. This is not a good time to go down that road.

I dont know guy--- I too love this field and have always been afraid to pursue as everyone has always deterred me as well because of the overseas competition but for the very same reason noone else is going to the field either right now and the people that are currently doing it are just getting older. I think there will be a big demand for young skilled workers in the next 5-10 years. The union effect will hit china and india sooner or later just as it hit the US and they wont be nearly as competitive- people are people- hell they are already getting fat from mcdonalds exposure.

Welder is another field I love and would enjoy as a career in combination with machinist so I guess I would be a fabricator/protoyper if I could do anything in the world and didn't care about money. They say if you love it enough the money will come.

Chasing money and not listening to myself is what won me a top 20 bachelors degree and masters degree in a field I didn't even like so it was a colossal waste of time and guess what money. I am currently in a holding pattern trying to pick a path- we put my wife through law school and I have a family business so that helps but do I just bite my lip and go to med school, become a science teacher, keep trying start-up business ventures, or commit to the world of metal. You are not alone in your quest and you are very young- dont worry

thank you for the encouragement im started to feel like i wanst doing anything in a job im not happy in. I love to build things with my hands i have a welder and when i get a chance to use it i do. i solder all the ecus i chip and tune, im just a hands on guy i would love to find a career where im building something great.

• 2 weeks later...