Big particle collider repairs to cost $21 million

HAOLE

You are just sore that I was right... I said it would fail and it did. Now just admit i was right. :D

How did it fail, again? Seriously, explain to me how a busted part and a delay is failure? How will this prevent it from ever being used again? Do you know what failure means?

It's got many years and many experiments ahead of it. To Americans like us, Apollo 1 was a setback, not a failure of our lunar program. This accelerator repair is barely worth mentioning.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did it fail, again? Seriously, explain to me how a busted part and a delay is failure? How will this prevent it from ever being used again? Do you know what failure means?

It's got many years and many experiments ahead of it. To Americans like us, Apollo 1 was a setback, not a failure of our lunar program. This accelerator repair is barely worth mentioning.

Is it working ????????

NO=FAIL

The space shuttle challenger had a busted part too.

The parts that are causing the setback clearly failed.

I am not saying it will never work, I hope it does, that is neat stuff. Everyone was acting like the Big Bang will be proven this year, and I said it will fail to work within the first thirty days. I was right. Sol was not man enough to lay down dinner for two at outback, I would have loved to have a T-bone this weekend.

I am not saying it will never work, I hope it does, that is neat stuff. Everyone was acting like the Big Bang will be proven this year, and I said it will fail to work within the first thirty days. I was right. Sol was not man enough to lay down dinner for two at outback, I would have loved to have a T-bone this weekend.

Maybe, it's just nobody's impressed. Look at the complicated nature of the project. You'd be a fool to bet on something not going wrong. Besides, it's components have been tested and ran before this. So, technically (<facetious), you were wrong, anyway.

Maybe, it's just nobody's impressed. Look at the complicated nature of the project. You'd be a fool to bet on something not going wrong. Besides, it's components have been tested and ran before this. So, technically (<facetious), you were wrong, anyway.

Well if we're speaking in technicalities here, the Hadron's purpose is to collide protons in to each other; it has only been tested firing protons in opposite directions but not at the same time yet, thus never actually "working" in the intended manner. Just technically, of course.

That is like saying that every part on a top fuel dragster has been tested, and no matter if it gets to the line and puts a rod through the block, it was still a success.

Nice try!!

Did Thomas Edison get the light bulb right on the first try?

Did you completely miss the mark? The point was not that it will never work, the point was it will fail to work at start up. Go back an read the original thread, then put a toilet paper in your mouth to stop the diarrhea that is frothing.

Did you completely miss the mark? The point was not that it will never work, the point was it will fail to work at start up. Go back an read the original thread, then put a toilet paper in your mouth to stop the diarrhea that is frothing.

You can't seriously be this daft, can you?

I wonder if you'd post the same predictions of failure if, say, the project was the construction of some multi-million dollar mega-church where a bunch of fundamentalist Christian bigots go to praise each other for being so pious.

Just wondering.

I wonder if you'd post the same predictions of failure if, say, the project was the construction of some multi-million dollar mega-church where a bunch of fundamentalist Christian bigots go to praise each other for being so pious.

Just wondering.

Wow, more words of wisdom from John. Everyone bow... the messiah has spoken. :lol:

ICD Code 297.1

That is like saying that every part on a top fuel dragster has been tested, and no matter if it gets to the line and puts a rod through the block, it was still a success.

Nice try!!

No, its not like that. What you're trying to compare this to is catastrophic failures like the Challenger and Columbia which had minimally broken parts but ended in loss of life and catastrophic failure that has forced the entire space program to scrap the idea of the shuttle.

What would be a more accurate allegory is if said top fuel car launches off the line and puts a rod through the block halfway down the track. Lets just say it was a qualifying run against nobody (since the Hadron Collider has no competiton). If the engine fails but the rest of the car stays intact and the driver rolls across the finish alive and well, should his team just pack up and go home because they broke one engine? No, they fix it and get ready for the next run.

Not sure, you should check the bible and see what it says. All fact in there, you know.

You guys are funny! :lol: The only lines Spacefag attacks me with is the bible or chiropractic, even if the thread has nothing to do with either.

BTW... for the 20thtime the bible does not say the earth is flat.

Isaiah 40:21-22 (King James Version)

21Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?

22It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Circle=Hebrew "chuwg",meaning "sphere

BWAHHAHAHAHAHHHAH The King James Bible is bullshit. Proven time and again to have had sections deliberately mistranslated or outright made-up for political reasons. I guarantee the old original Genesis called the earth flat, because I translated it (for a grade). King James had this section rewritten for a post-Magellan world.

You don't want to know what the real genesis says, you'll laugh.