What specs need to match in order to swap transmissions.......

Aaron

I am trying to get information on how to check the specs on transmissions to see if they will fit other cars than they were originally meant for.

The car I am considering making my project car has a weak ass transmission. Both the 5 speed manual and 4 speed automatics are blowing up right and left when F/I is added. The quest is on for a transmission that will hold high tq. I am mainly interested in a manual transmission for a FWD car, but could be swayed into an Auto.

I just need to learn what is needed to check other transmissions for fitment.

Thanks for the help.

I am really into the Taurus SHO. I had 2 of them in highschool and college and loved them. Once a turbo or supercharger is thrown on them, they rip the gears apart. The hp and tq on them can range from 300-600 for both figures depending on F/I type.

They run either a 3.0 V6 or a 3.2 V6 made by Yamaha.

Their are only a handful of F/I SHO's out there, and not a single person has a reliable transmission. They are all trying to find a good trans to swap it with, but have not had any success.

I have heard of a company that provides adapters to make any trans fit any engine.......but again I don't know enough about the specs that need to match up to do any further research.

Guest Removed
I would have an adapter plate made and run an auto from a series two or three supercharged gm

gm parts in a ford :gtfo:

i dont think it would fit..that is a large trans. and the only issue i had with my SHO the diff would explode on spray

Do you know if they are equal or unequal length shafts?

I was recommended that trans on another thread..........

I still would like to learn how to know if they will fit.....

Thanks for the help so far guys...........keep it coming haha.

gm parts in a ford :gtfo:

i dont think it would fit..that is a large trans. and the only issue i had with my SHO the diff would explode on spray

Well they have solved that with the lsd. Quiafe I believe.

With F/I it just rips every other part of the trans instead of the diff. The F/I guys have eaten all 5 gears in different cars.

They have tried it all. Shot peened(sp?), cryo, shimmed etc on the stock trans. It just doesn't hold.

There were 6 HD gearsets made about 4 years ago, and they were priced about 6k :eek: And no one as of yet has any proof that they will handle the large tq either.

Keep them coming guys. Thanks.

rwd conversion!like they do with the fuckus

Doesn't ford sell that conversion, or an aftermarket company?

I want to use the SHO engine, and a little research shows that it would be mega expensive.

Looks like finding a trans swap is the thing to do.

The SHO uses a front subframe to house all of the front suspension, trans, engine etc. To make it RWD, you would have to reposition all components front to back, fab up the mounts, find a transmission that would work, get a custom driveshaft, find a rear axle/diff, figure out a way to mount that, along with a new rear suspension setup........

lol, doesn't sound too bad. :eek:

Search is on for a FWD trans that can be made to mate with the SHO V6.

The SHO uses a front subframe to house all of the front suspension, trans, engine etc. To make it RWD, you would have to reposition all components front to back, fab up the mounts, find a transmission that would work, get a custom driveshaft, find a rear axle/diff, figure out a way to mount that, along with a new rear suspension setup........

lol, doesn't sound too bad.

If your gonna do all that, you might as well just get a mustang. lol. Don't give up yet. Id like to see this get done too, I secretly have a little crush on SHO's.

If your gonna do all that, you might as well just get a mustang. lol. Don't give up yet. Id like to see this get done too, I secretly have a little crush on SHO's.

I just did some googling and found that almost every fwd car has had a post asking for a rwd conversion lol. And every answer is that it would cost way too much money, but is doable. Buy a RWD car if you want RWD.

I really just want to find a trans that will fit and hold a lot of power. FWD is fine with me.

Or I could do a Fusion AWD with a Turbo 3.2 SHO engine lol.

Guest Removed
Doesn't ford sell that conversion, or an aftermarket company?

I want to use the SHO engine, and a little research shows that it would be mega expensive.

Looks like finding a trans swap is the thing to do.

might be for you, but bye the time you have some one make a adapter, find out what went wrong with said set-up go back and try again, you would be out just as much time. if you can weld, know how to use a tape measure, you can make anything rwd!

no ford didnt make the kits for the focus.krugel or something like that does. and after seeing the 92 up civic on here with a sbc in it and rwd with some junk yard parts! im sure it can be done on budget. all you need to tell me is if the normal 3.0 or 3.8 bell housing was the same or not? if so you could use a ranger 5 speed,a stang 8.8 and get to welding. only thing that worries me about this is the steering rack, i cant remember how they fixed it on the focus tho....

push come to shove you could aways cut the floor pan out of one rwd car, and fab the fwd body onto the car!

Sounds like too many headaches for a SHO?????

I don't remember all the details but I had the opp to buy a SHO cheap. I looked into all the forums I could find and concluded they aren't worth it, even on the cheap... The drive train was the main issue that deterred me from buying.

There are too many other options for builds rather than a SHO...

Sounds like too many headaches for a SHO?????

I don't remember all the details but I had the opp to buy a SHO cheap. I looked into all the forums I could find and concluded they aren't worth it, even on the cheap... The drive train was the main issue that deterred me from buying.

There are too many other options for builds rather than a SHO...

Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking about a black F-150 with racing stripes.......... :rolleyes:

The Transmission is the only weak part of the SHO.

Guest Removed
Can I mention the TH-425 again?

3 speed auto, you wont break it, typically has a BOP bellhousing.

I have one laying around somewhere....

What are the DSM guys doing that actually arent breaking transmisons (other than leaving everything stock)

well that douche bag dsm614 had some guy in cleveland make up some adapters for rwd... they use standard chevy bell. with a gm mini type starter(aka jegs cheapy) and gm flywheel...guy made a spacer that bold to the stock dsm crank and the chevy flywheel bolt to it. there are some other ones other there for them, but i guess they dont hold up long(some stupid converter that like to explode or something)