1928 Dodge ?

Turbotrio

My uncle is talking to me yesterday about a 1928 Dodge (Doesn't know the name) that was my great-grandfathers that he purchased brand new. I guess my uncle was given the car when he was 16 and it has been sitting ever since. The car has only been titled in my GGF's name (Funny saying its a 1-owner since 1928 lol) and just needs restored.

All my uncle remembers is that it is black, has suicide doors, came with like a 50-hp inline-6, and was the first year with steel wheels instead of wood.

If completely restored and perfect again is this car worth anything?

Jeff

If it were in my family's possession since 1928 it wouldn't matter to me how much it'd be worth if I flipped it. It'd be priceless to my family. I think that's all that should matter.

If it were in my family's possession since 1928 it wouldn't matter to me how much it'd be worth if I flipped it. It'd be priceless to my family. I think that's all that should matter.

+2.My Dad has a 1960 Impala 348 Tri-Power car that he's had since 1961.It will be mine and no amount of money could buy that.That's not a car anymore that's a part of the family.I would reatore it and drive it.

My uncle was thinking more along the lines of "If it takes $20 - $30 - $40k to make the car perfect would it be worth that?"

He isn't selling no matter what but he doesn't have the money that it would (Most likely) take to make it perfect again either.

I know some old cars are worth a fortune fully restored and others are almost worth-less. I just figured I would ask about the vehicle itself since I don't know the first thing about pre-1960 anything's :)

EDIT: I think he is wanting something like this:

http://streetrodder.automotive.com/88902/0808sr-1928-dodge-victory-six/index.html

I'd honestly have someone come out and appriase the car.

Does it look like this?

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/displaycar.php?stock=3125&location=STL

If so I saw in Hemmings, they were going for $15K+.

Yeah, he said it looks just like that but with different wheels.

Jeff

Keep in mind that "patina" is definitely hot right now. Family owned car since 1928? Minimal rust, all the trim-n-bits are in place, and the upholstery isn't too bad, you might be better off just spending time cleaning, getting it sorted mechanically, and then driving it as is.

Of course, this is assuming ALOT for an 80-year old car. Methinks it'll at least need new upholstery.... :)

My uncle is talking to me yesterday about a 1928 Dodge (Doesn't know the name) that was my great-grandfathers that he purchased brand new. I guess my uncle was given the car when he was 16 and it has been sitting ever since. The car has only been titled in my GGF's name (Funny saying its a 1-owner since 1928 lol) and just needs restored.

All my uncle remembers is that it is black, has suicide doors, came with like a 50-hp inline-6, and was the first year with steel wheels instead of wood.

Jeff

Those two contradict each other greatly. The car you pictured is a street rod not a restored car. As a street rod you would be looking at changing suspension, drivetrain and interior out completely and it would be worth money to someone who wanted the car that way. It most likely would not be something you made a profit off of. Restored it would be put back to all original. It also would not be likely to be a profit maker. I think everyone had it right when they said that it is more like an heirloom and only worth what it is worth to your family.

If it was somebody else's car, I'd say go nuts and rod it. But given that it has family history, restoring it back to factory is way to go. HOPEFULLY, it's been sitting in a barn or under a carport, and nobody ever tossed anything from it. Body parts probably can be found or fabbed, engine parts are probably not that hard to get ahold of, but the interior is going to be the tough part. Fabrics from that period aren't too easy to find, some patterns are simply unobtainable.