Kudos to Pickups Plus Cars

Doc1647545523

Last month when gas prices were still high and dealers were practically giving away pickups, I decided to update my hauler/tow vehicle. I've owned trucks from Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, and Toyota. For power, economy, reliability, towing capacity, and resale I think it's hard to beat the new Tundra. I got a great deal and bought a Double Cab with the 5.7 V8 and 4WD.

In my opinion the Tundra's weakness is in its styling. Compared to a Ford Super Duty the Tundra looks pretty cheap. So I wanted to beef up the looks without getting too fancy, and I wanted to keep the stock wheels--after all, this is a tow vehicle, not a fancy driver.

Scotty2Hotty, Brady@PPC and Kyle hooked me up with this 3-piece billet aluminum grill which really changed the "plastic" look the front of the truck had:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/July%20cars/tundra/Pict0037.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/July%20cars/tundra/Pict0038.jpg

I also needed a cap, and they gave me a great deal on this Leer cap which is insulated and has extra lighting and power outlets. The rear window latch is integrated with the remote locking system.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/July%20cars/tundra/Pict0041.jpg

They installed chrome handles to further remedy the plastic-y look, and they even had a chrome tailgate handle which accomodated the rear camera:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/July%20cars/tundra/Pict0042.jpg

Kyle did a great job recommending the right accessories (and saved me money over what I had picked out on my own) and they got the parts in quickly. The techs did a day's worth of installation in about 3 hours because I needed the truck right away. That's service! :)

I don't hesitate to recommend them for car & truck accessories and performance work. Thanks guys!

Last month when gas prices were still high and dealers were practically giving away pickups, I decided to update my hauler/tow vehicle. I've owned trucks from Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, and Toyota. For power, economy, reliability, towing capacity, and resale I think it's hard to beat the new Tundra. I got a great deal and bought a Double Cab with the 5.7 V8 and 4WD.

Dare I ask what you'll be towing? :ninja:

Looks good Doc. Guess you gave up the FJ.

The PIAA's I like will run about $600, and for the limited use I would have for fog lights on this truck, it's given me pause ......

I totally agree. I just don't like the look when there is a cutout for them, but aren't there. They are more for looks than anything eles.

Dare I ask what you'll be towing? :ninja:

Well, for starters, I could tow the cars that run against me at the strip and break because they need so much spray to keep up with me that their drivers burn holes in their pistons ...... :eek:

I'm also thinking of a larger trailer for my bike, maybe one that will accomodate more than one bike, possibly a small toy hauler that would also be a camper. I go south in the winter with the bike, and the FJ wasn't set up to haul a big trailer. It was rated for 5000 lbs, but over about 1200 lbs you really need stabilizer bars. This Tundra's rated for 10,300 lbs the way it's set up. The cap also gives me a lot more hauling options.

The FJ was a 2007 model delivered in March 2006, so it would be 3 years old this March and the warranty would be up. It was never a bit of trouble, but the dealer gave me close to an even trade for the Tundra, and I couldn't imagine a better deal than that.

Finally, I've got something a little unusual on my Christmas list, and if it breaks down on the road it isn't likely any mechanic's going to have ever seen one before, so it might be handy to have something to go pick it up with. ;)

Finally, I've got something a little unusual on my Christmas list, and if it breaks down on the road it isn't likely any mechanic's going to have ever seen one before, so it might be handy to have something to go pick it up with. ;)

Ahem. :)

Well, for starters, I could tow the cars that run against me at the strip and break because they need so much spray to keep up with me that their drivers burn holes in their pistons ...... :eek:

I'm also thinking of a larger trailer for my bike, maybe one that will accomodate more than one bike, possibly a small toy hauler that would also be a camper. I go south in the winter with the bike, and the FJ wasn't set up to haul a big trailer. It was rated for 5000 lbs, but over about 1200 lbs you really need stabilizer bars. This Tundra's rated for 10,300 lbs the way it's set up. The cap also gives me a lot more hauling options.

The FJ was a 2007 model delivered in March 2006, so it would be 3 years old this March and the warranty would be up. It was never a bit of trouble, but the dealer gave me close to an even trade for the Tundra, and I couldn't imagine a better deal than that.

Get your digs in now................or the next time I blow it up. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to what you have in store for everyone :D , anything you come up with I'm sure will be very interesting.

Very nice doc.

The only thing bad that ive heard about these trucks is that they used hollow cams in them and they like to shatter. Dont know if they have fixed that little problem yet or not.

I really doubt Doc would keep it after the warranty is up. Maybe I should take a lesson from Doc. Buy 11 sec car with factory warranty, win and win.

Very nice doc.

The only thing bad that ive heard about these trucks is that they used hollow cams in them and they like to shatter. Dont know if they have fixed that little problem yet or not.

I hadn't heard about the problem, but I'll ask around. Thanks for the tip.

ND2RACE is right, though..... I take care of them like I'm going to keep 'em forever, but then I usually turn 'em over before they're out of warranty. :(

Very nice doc.

I am pretty sure that they got that problem fixed very early on in the production of the trucks. If I remember right it was an isolated problem to the cam supplier and they switched suppliers or something like that but it was only on a relatively small amount of vehicles it effected.