wtb wrangler engine

xTHExBOSSx46

i have a 95 wrangler and the engine sounds like its going to take a dump on me. i dont want it to nickle and dime me to death by fixing whats wrong cause it has 160k on it. would rather just buy a new engine. currently it is a 4 cyl. wouldnt mind throwing in a 4.0L in it if possible or sticking with the same. anyone know of one, have one, or know who would wanna install for me?

You can normally pick up a 4.0L at Pick N pull for $200. With the right tools and knowledge, replacement should only take a few hours. Of course that is 4.0L to 4.0L. Not sure what extra you have to do for the convert from the 2.5.

sort of. its ticking a lot. A LOT. lol

Is it like a lifter tick or more of a "diesel" tapping noise? Is it more obvious on start-up or constantly? If it sounds like a diesel then I would almost put money on it being the timing chain. Mine has the same problem. I thought something was really wrong until I discovered that. I have a buddy with a 94 Ford 7.3 Turbo who once said he heard my Jeep's engine over his diesel when I was sitting behind him at a light.

A 2.5 to 4.0 conversion is more work than you may think or I would have already done it. However, it can be done in a weekend if you have the right tools and all required supplies. There was a good write-up on JeepForums about it last time I looked.

its more of a lifter tick. i havent even had it eight months and it was running fine when i got it and had a oil change right before i bought it ....supposedly.....i went out and decided to take a look at some obv things this morning and i checked the oil and there is litteraly almost nothing in it so i think that is part of the problem. so i definitly learned to day that it has to be burning through that oil or it hasnt had a change in forever and the guy lied to me but whatever im gunna add a few quarts then drive it to get a change. and i will see where it goes from there. un doubtably i will be swapping engines reguardless by spring time cause of the milage and its my DD.

this whole situation seems kinda pin headed as far as the oil thing goes. but i really hope that is it and i didnt do too much damage but i really didnt think it would burn oil that fast even for its age.

i will have to check the forums cause that is somthing i would like to do is switch to a 4.0L. gas doesnt bother me cause i drove the stang forever at over $4 a gallon for 93 octain at 14mpg. lol