A diferent take on torture

Science Abuse

Good read. My opinion - that of someone who has never served, never been tortured, and has never tortured another - is that there should be many forms of interrigations performed, depending on the person, place, and situation.

If non-lethal 'torture' of one detainee can save hundreds of our troops, do it. Is it that cut and dry? No, probably not. How do you determine if that particular person has the knowledge to save others? I don't know. Would I be able to administer the same acts I condone? Probably not.

Good read. My opinion - that of someone who has never served, never been tortured, and has never tortured another - is that there should be many forms of interrigations performed, depending on the person, place, and situation.

If non-lethal 'torture' of one detainee can save hundreds of our troops, do it. Is it that cut and dry? No, probably not. How do you determine if that particular person has the knowledge to save others? I don't know. Would I be able to administer the same acts I condone? Probably not.

The it can save X lives is arbitrary because could claim that by listening to every phone call in america you could cut crime. At what point do we draw a line?:bangbang::bangbang::bangbang::bangbang:

The it can save X lives is arbitrary because could claim that by listening to every phone call in america you could cut crime. At what point do we draw a line?:bangbang::bangbang::bangbang::bangbang:

Hence:

How do you determine if that particular person has the knowledge to save others? I don't know.

And I would hope that the folks being held and questioned are more closely linked to the war than "everyone in America".

There is also the very stong argument that info from torture is not reliable. The tortured individual will tell you anything to make it stopm, "anything" doesn't always mean the truth.

Doubtful and dumb. It's not like they just go "Alright we got our info, let the prisoner free and let's go where he said the weapons are hidden without checking in to it first!!1"

Doubtful and dumb. It's not like they just go "Alright we got our info, let the prisoner free and let's go where he said the weapons are hidden without checking in to it first!!1"

i fail to see how that gets our eagents to the end goal. You're jsut saying that bad info is confirmed as bad by looking into it. That costs money and possibly lives, btw.

i fail to see how that gets our eagents to the end goal. You're jsut saying that bad info is confirmed as bad by looking into it. That costs money and possibly lives, btw.

No, your "argument" against torture is that the information they squeeze out may be incorrect. Hardly an argument.

I have to side with science, an individual being tortured will just tell you what they think you want to hear. Possibly sending you on some wild goose chase costing money and possibly lives, trying to verify the info.

The counter is that if the info is right 1 time out of 10, and it saves american lives, was it worth it ? That's not an easy question. Opening several other lines of questioning.

Intelligence Science Board, of the office of the Director Of National Intelligence. They filled 300+ pages of data on the topic, in which they concluded it was not effective and unreliable. Would you like to read them all, or should I try to find a Wiki entry? :)

Did you click'n'read the link in the first post?

Intelligence Science Board, of the office of the Director Of National Intelligence. They filled 300+ pages of data on the topic, in which they concluded it was not effective and unreliable. Would you like to read them all, or should I try to find a Wiki entry? :)

Did you click'n'read the link in the first post?

Yes I read it, but is that the only thing you read? Go read the actual report you're hugging; it essentially says "Be careful with interrogations because nobody has really researched if what you're doing has worked or not." Don't take this like I think the military should be reckless and and use any means to juice out information. There is a science to interrogation. Sure, it may cost money, but if you have little or no leads there really isn't much choice.