Subaru pulls out of WRC

CRed05

Just like Suzuki did. Now the big 2 rally companies are Ford and Citroen.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/16/2448307.htm

Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subaru cars, says it will pull out of the World Rally Championship (WRC) citing the global economic crisis.

Subaru joins fellow Japanese automaker Suzuki Motor Corp, which announced its exit a day earlier, and leaves no other Japanese auto-maker left in the race.

Car-makers all over the world are under severe pressure to reduce spending as they bleed cash due to a sudden downturn in global car demand.

Honda Motor Co, Japan's number two automaker, this month quit Formula One racing for similar reasons.

WTF ?!?!

I have to say this actually saddens me a little.

They'll be back ... right ?

Who knows, maybe someday when the market gets better? But I mean their cars have gotten softer and softer, what's going to happen to the Impreza now?

The WRC is changing their rules to a spec that's closer to the S2000 class (NOT the honda), rather than the GroiupN class they've been using. Suzuki and Subaru are saying this is the reason they're leaving the WRC. However, this article is likely closer to the truth.

The good news is, this is just he Manufacturer pulling out. It doesn't mean there won't be Subarus in Rally. They'll still dominate RallyAmerica, and with the new S2000 style cars, it's more likely independant groups will race in the WRC and bring their own cars. So you may still see Subarus in the WRC.

Remember, it's not Subaru that modifies the cars for the WRC, it was Prodrive. As for Rally America, Cosworth builds those cars.

Damn :\

Subaru was always sort of how I defined the WRC. One of my pinewood derby cars from scouts was a 555 Impreza replica.

Very sad, indeed.

Thats probably the greatest thing i've ever heard in my life. I did the fred flintstone modile. This is very sad considering i'm a huge WRC fan and watch pretty much all the rallies. i am also a huge subaru fan. I think they have a contract with they're main driver Petter Solberg through 2009 so they probably still have to pay him.