Nelson Ledges?

theweiser1

We all thought that our "Fundays" were going away with rumors of a sale of the track, but apparently that deal fell through so we'll still have "cheap" lapping days for next season.

I'll be making the trip up for one of the first days in Mar / April next season

Andy

Nice... I want to go to a road course this year so maybe i will head up there... what car are you taking?

We all thought that our "Fundays" were going away with rumors of a sale of the track, but apparently that deal fell through so we'll still have "cheap" lapping days for next season.

I'll be making the trip up for one of the first days in Mar / April next season

Andy

that mean the track won't be redone? kinda sucks if not.

Andy

^ Good news then.

Who need showers anyway :) doesnt make you go faster who cares.

I'm there I've always wanted to take my car around a course!

I'm a newb anyone know if u need some sort of track suit of anykind...obviousily a helmet but more? any odd things tech doesn't like?

you need a $400 helmet and a $5200 racing suit with a pee can and body cooler, you also need racing shoes that are made of carbon fiber. but the only thing you really need is a helmet.

paul, your car won't like the dips in the track. good by pipeing lol.

Nice... I want to go to a road course this year so maybe i will head up there... what car are you taking?

Depends. I mostly took the 996 last year but need to get the M3 out a little more next season to enjoy it.

As AJ stated they're all done till March/April of next year. We're also fortunate enough to have the new Bluegrass facility that will be down south of Cinci which may be about the same distance as Nelson. I'm doubting they have many cheap lapping days but I'm keeping my eyes open for possible events there too. Just can't beat the $120 open lapping that Nelson offers even with the 3 hour drive.

Mid Ohio is always a great option as well but the only good way to get out there is during club events which can be pretty spendy.

Andy

that mean the track won't be redone? kinda sucks if not.

That would ruin the character of the track we lovingly refer to as the "armpit of Ohio".

And yes, I walked the track at the 24 hour race this past summer - it is looking pretty bad - they were patching the patches they had put in 20 years ago!!!

http://www.greatlakes-scca.org/system/files/2009+Club+Racing+Schedule+Rev+C_0.pdf

"OTHER EVENTS" column and look for PDX. Open track days with the SCCA at Mid-Ohio and Bluegrass. Great way to get on a race track with your street car. Instructor provided and a safe environment to learn in. Not cheap, but worth it.

http://www.greatlakes-scca.org/

Agreed,

BUT I hope they're limiting the number of entrants to events this year. Last year there were like 5+ organizations selling spots to SCCA PDX events and most of them ended up being way too heavily attended.

http://www.greatlakes-scca.org/system/files/2009+Club+Racing+Schedule+Rev+C_0.pdf

"OTHER EVENTS" column and look for PDX. Open track days with the SCCA at Mid-Ohio and Bluegrass. Great way to get on a race track with your street car. Instructor provided and a safe environment to learn in. Not cheap, but worth it.

http://www.greatlakes-scca.org/

I was at a few at Mid-Ohio and they all were what I'd call well attended. Is 30-35 cars on a 2.4 mile track too many per session? I know for racing, 50+ can get a bit 'fun' with traffic at race-pace. But the 30-35 per session seemed OK to me. For the most part, everyone took it easy and had a blast. I had a friend there (twice) doing it in his GTO and he had a great time.

Since it is a track day, no one should be pushing hard at all, so the amount of cars on track shouldn't be too big of an issue. If you get stuck behind someone too slow - pull thru the pits and 're-set' yourself a bit behind them. If you catch them again - repeat. :)

I was at a few at Mid-Ohio and they all were what I'd call well attended. Is 30-35 cars on a 2.4 mile track too many per session? I know for racing, 50+ can get a bit 'fun' with traffic at race-pace. But the 30-35 per session seemed OK to me. For the most part, everyone took it easy and had a blast. I had a friend there (twice) doing it in his GTO and he had a great time.

Since it is a track day, no one should be pushing hard at all, so the amount of cars on track shouldn't be too big of an issue. If you get stuck behind someone too slow - pull thru the pits and 're-set' yourself a bit behind them. If you catch them again - repeat. :)

I went to watch the Aug. 8 (I think) at Mid Ohio which I should have attended and walked away happy that I didn't participate. I counted 39-40 cars in every run group. There were soo many instructors they had to split instructors into 2 groups making 5 groups and to get everyone they're guarantee'd 4th session of the day those sessions were all of 10 minutes each.

What was nice to see was the Instructor group and the Beginners groups all seemed to go off without a hitch. However the intermediate group, which is surely where I'd be placed, was a mess of fast and slow people that looked pretty much impossible to avoid for more than about a half lap at a time.

ANY track day is better than none though. I've surely attended my fair share of crappy ones that were still better than a day at work or watching from the stands.

p.s. How did I not know you were on this board? (I'm Yasmin's husband.)

Andy

I thought that was you. :) I'm not really 'on this board'. Just lurk here and try to contribute to the real racing threads. I'm trying to get more involved if I can here. Never hurts to contribute to another local community. I don't see eye to eye with some of the comments/members, but will bring what I can to the conversation.

BTW - I like the website! Didn't know that is what you did... It will come in handy knowing that! :)

I thought that was you. :) I'm not really 'on this board'. Just lurk here and try to contribute to the real racing threads. I'm trying to get more involved if I can here. Never hurts to contribute to another local community. I don't see eye to eye with some of the comments/members, but will bring what I can to the conversation.

BTW - I like the website! Didn't know that is what you did... It will come in handy knowing that! :)

Ha...I still work my "real" job too. That stuff pays for the track time!