Incandescent bulbs gone by 2014?

Casper

CLFs do what they claim. I replace all the bulbs in my house with CLFs when i moved in 4 years ago. I got them at Sams Club when they first came out. ive only replaced 3 so far and they were all recent and in the kitchen where its usually on if someones home.

I counted i have 32 CLFs in my house right now.

As an EE, I really wish the industry would have pushed LED from the beginning instead of CFL bulbs for the last few years. CFL bulbs have some problems that may end up outweighing the advantages in years to come, depending on how many of them are improperly disposed of. By the time we all go to LED bulbs, we'll have tons and tons of CFL bulbs in landfills rocking staggering amounts of aggregate mercury into everything. They never really talk about it, but there's mercury in every CFL bulb, which has always turned me off from them. LEDs are the most energy efficient anyway, and they'll last damn near forever, even putting CFL lifespans to shame. Just my opinion, but a poor play on the part of the lighting industry to ever go with CFL before LED.

But I'm glad LED (and eventually OLED) will be entering the scene, those things are just awesome, and will help in lighting efficiency in everything from houses to cars. Cool stuff in those little guys.

We've had mostly CFL bulbs int he house for years and they've been great. Have also been search for LED based for as long but they hard to find and when you can find something it's expensive.

I agree that LED isn't up to speed yet, but like I said, I blame the industry for pushing the wrong tech first (just my opinion). Most people I talk to that have CFL bulbs have no idea that contain mercury and that you shouldn't just throw them out to be landfilled with the rest of the trash. Hell I've even seem people accidentally break them, then just go and start picking up the big pieces by hand like there's no problem. Mercury isn't a trivial thing that handle like that, especially by women, and I think they should at least do a better job informing people at large about what's in the bulbs.

Oh well, like I said, I'm glad LEDs will be coming into the mainstream soon, and I'll certainly be outfitting my entire house with them when I can. I'm glad people are getting together to phase out incandescents, that's all good news. Old tech, time to move on. :cool:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=389898

Just saw these at Sam's this past weekend.....maybe there's hope for the LED.....

that product contains 3 white LED, which bulk cost about $.05 cents each (individual cost is 0.10 cents each).

the idea of companies selling LED lights for more than CFL is completely insane, since the cost of making them is 1000 times less.

that product contains 3 white LED, which bulk cost about $.05 cents each (individual cost is 0.10 cents each).

the idea of companies selling LED lights for more than CFL is completely insane, since the cost of making them is 1000 times less.

I understand and agree with your assessment of the stupidity of the pricing of the LEDs, but, CFLs were more expensive when they first came out, so I am looking at the sale of the LEDs as a glimmer of hope, and maybe, just maybe, the cost will come down.