1992 s10 won't start....

SRTurbo04

Ok so buddy an I are trying to dfix his poS10/sonoma is a 1992 has the 4.3l

His truck was running really crappy so he replaced the cap on the rotor. Well when it would start it would run like utter crap an brely ran.... well he noticed that the distributor was shit so put a new one on so now it won't start at alll it'll keep cranking but that's all any ideas on how tog et it started? . I know this is very vauge but were running out of things to try lol

What was "shit" about the distributor? Did you replace it with new? used? aftermarket? Does it backfire? Does it "think about" starting?

It was corroded rusted an cracked.went to uwrench it an got it off a truck thaty had brand new wires cap an looked to be a brand new distributor as well.

So new cap new rotor, an like new distributor.

It doesn't backfire

It cranks an acts like it wants to catch an start but just keeps cranking

An yes eric it has gas in it haha

you prolly got the distributor a tooth off when you put it in

did you mark the old one when you took it out?

set the motor on TDC cylinder 1 and see what the rotor is pointing at

I'm also assuming you've already checked for spark and fuel pressure couple pounds off on a vortec and it won't start

Guest 614Streets
It won't start because you dont have the timing right. Re drop the distributor in with number one cylinder tdc neither valves moving. Under the passenger dash is a brown wire in a connector. Disconnect it when setting timing with a timing light to eliminate advance.

Yea there's fuel an spark...

How does one get to top dead center....

Or better yet how much does someone want to get this thing back in check? Scott??

I'm got my daughter tonight, Where's it at? You need to pull #1 plug out, and find when it's at TDC. Put you finger over the hole and turn it over by hand feeling for compression, and then I usually stick a skinny screwdriver or something in the plug hole so you can tell when the piston is coming up to the top of the cylinder. Install dizzy with rotor button aimed at #1 terminal on cap. Adjust timing.

Guest 614Streets

There is a TDC mark on the harmonic balancer. Remove all six plugs from the engine , turn the harmonic balancer bolt with a breaker cheater bar clockwise until the line on the harmonic balancer lines up with 0 (zero) on the timing tab. Use white or yellow paint or white out on the line to make it more visable.

Now you must be at tdc compression stroke when lining up the mark at zero. The best way to verify this is to yank the 135 valve cover and verify neither valves are moving or opening on cylinder number one when the balancer mark is reaching tdc. If the valves are moving you are 180 degrees out and need to continue rotating the engine clockwise until you line up the mark on the balancer at zero on the tab again.

Another method some guys use is to listen for air escaping past your thumb or finger while pressed up against the number one cylinder spark plug hole , then line up marks.

After you get it to tdc compression stroke , then you drop your distributor in with the rotor facing to the number on wire location on the distributor cap.

Firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2

------------

from the front of the engine

2 4 6 on passenger side

1 3 5 on driver side

*sorry will, i had no idea what that was trying to say i hope this is what you ment. AJ

------------

Distributor rotates clockwise

A good way to get the timing close enough to start is to keep the #1 plug out of the motor, but in the spark plug wire boot. Leave it grounded on the block so you can see it spark, with the distributor loose and key on rotate it until you see it spark.

Since you already have the motor set at TDC that will be close enough on the timing to get it to run. Snug the distributor so you can still move it and adjust timing, then tighten it.

Also - as said above, verify you have fuel pressure (with a gauge) Vortechs need something silly like 60psi (going off memory, don't quote me) to start.

There is a TDC mark on the harmonic balancer. Remove all six plugs from the engine , turn the harmonic balancer bolt with a breaker cheater bar clockwise until the line on the harmonic balancer lines up with 0 (zero) on the timing tab. Use white or yellow paint or white out on the line to make it more visable.

Now you must be at tdc compression stroke when lining up the mark at zero. The best way to verify this is to yank the 135 valve cover and verify neither valves are moving or opening on cylinder number one when the balancer mark is reaching tdc. If the valves are moving you are 180 degrees out and need to continue rotating the engine clockwise until you line up the mark on the balancer at zero on the tab again.

Another method some guys use is to listen for air escaping past your thumb or finger while pressed up against the number one cylinder spark plug hole , then line up marks.

After you get it to tdc compression stroke , then you drop your distributor in with the rotor facing to the number on wire location on the distributor cap.

Firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2

------------

from the front of the engine

2 4 6 on passenger side

1 3 5 on driver side

*sorry will, i had no idea what that was trying to say i hope this is what you ment. AJ

------------

Yeah what he said.

Guest 614Streets

Firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2

passenger side

| 2 4 6 |

front

............6 5

of .....1.........4 <----THIS IS THE DISTRIBUTOR

............2 3

vehicle

| 1 3 5 |

drivers side

Firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2

passenger side

| 2 4 6 |

front

............6 5

............2 3

vehicle

| 1 3 5 |

drivers side

thats way better then the last one.

Firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2

passenger side

| 2 4 6 |

front

............6 5

............2 3

vehicle

| 1 3 5 |

drivers side

Thanks Will you just saved me from looking it up. I'm going to go help them out.