I'm a COMPLETE NOOB. Point me in a good direction.

Radio Flyer1647545514

As far as used bikes go, need to take friend along with you to ride/inspect it and make sure its acceptable.

Main thing is make sure it cold starts with choke on and then will warm up and run smoothly with choke off. Most bikes will have carb problems if not started often enough/stored correctly.

Be careful with bald tires and dry-rotted ones. Dont ride bald!

Lewis

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah its pretty accurate. never had the electrical problem it talked about but the helmet lock thing is true lol. another common problem is the speedo cable comes loose on some bikes. some locktite fixes that up.

the only difference in bikes from 94 to today is the color. they havent really changed anything at all. the 88-93 bikes are very similar as well. minor changes really, its 95% still the same bike. parts are plentiful. they are pretty easy to work on too. im not really sure what to pay, as i havent been in the market for a while... ive seen them for around 3K or less... probably wouldnt pay much more than that.

if you have any more 500 questions, ask away... cant speak for the SV as i havent ridden one. ive heard good things though. they are pretty cool looking too. i really like the tail light on em.:)

check out www.ex-500.com and www.svrider.com for info :)

Suggestions between the sv650 and the sv650s. Which is recommended. From what I've read the 650s has a little bit more weight and it's a tighter fit on the bike too (with the higher foot pegs on the second gens?).

I'm only 5 8 so the tighter fit may be a better feel for me. I know I need to sit on both to find out which is more comfortable, but is there something about the different models that should point me to one or the other for learning to ride?

When you do the MSF, are the classes in the day time or night time? Are they through one entire week?

I don't recall seeing a schedule on their site.

I'm asking because I took some night classes at school this week along with day time classes and if I need to I'm going to schedule them for my spring break.

So basically get the naked version and make changes that I would prefer.

Yes. I have seen some very sexy SV650s before.

When you do the MSF, are the classes in the day time or night time? Are they through one entire week?

I don't recall seeing a schedule on their site.

I'm asking because I took some night classes at school this week along with day time classes and if I need to I'm going to schedule them for my spring break.

After 5pm, I want to say it was Thurs, Fri, Sat

Could be Fri, Sat, Sun

I don't remember which, it says on the site if you look hard enough.

So it's a 3 day class total? I don't have to worry about anything but work then for the week and I can just flip from night to day shift for a weekend.

Does registration begin at 12:01? I don't want to miss out on the close location, nor do I want to wait til the end of spring or summer to get in.

The MSF helps to drop insurance to correct?

Is it necessary to read the packet before taking the temp test for the bike? I did not for my temps for my car as it was all basic knowledge. I read over the Bike Operating stuff on the MSF site, and pretty much read through most of that packet online.

I'm thinking about going tomorrow to take my permit test.

Yes, read it. It is basic knowledge, but unless you've been riding for a while it probably isn't basic knowledge to you.

There is one question on there that doesn't make sense, it asks how to avoid something and the answers they list aren't the correct one.

Of course, they could have changed that one by now.

You have to create an account first. It's at the top of the screen. No email verification or anything is needed, so just type in a fake email. I used my spam email account just in case I needed a verification sent to me.

Then just DL it and it will be in your saved files.

Thanks for the link Kenny.

Thanks for the Twist of the Wrist link. Just read over half of it and I just realized what time it was. So far great read.

I read certain points in detail and certain points I skimmed each word but took in the main points of the topic.

Someone should see if those can be stickied.

I'm going to buy a helmet before I take the classes. Is there any brand I should look at specifically? I know I need a DOT approved.

depends on the cash you want to spend

arai, shoei , suomy = top end high quality helmets

scorpion, KBC, icon = medium

vega, zox = low end

choose what fits you and feels the best on your head, you gotta wear it alot.

i have an icon, and i love the interior of the helmet. i think it has a nicer feel than the shoei of the same price i looked at.