Guns for n00bs..

Draco-REX

Ok, I'm not a complete newb. My father collected guns, and as soon as I was old enough to fire them, he taught me how to use them safely. I enjoy firing guns, but I've never got into them for various reasons.

Anyways, I'm curious about what someone new to guns has to do to legally purchase and fire a handgun, rifle, and/or shotgun. i.e. Any licenses needed and where to get them, and where and how it is legal to transport/store them.

Thanks

No license needed?? Wow. I'm not sure how I feel about that.....

I may need to drop by a shop in the near future.. I hear Blackwing talked about pretty often. Do they have a showroom?

Where's a good range to shoot at?

Any shooting range etiquette I should know?

Don't mention that you feel that licenses should maybe be needed for gun ownership

lol.

To be honest, I'm really surprised there isn't one needed. If for the simple reason that it's money the state/fed isn't getting. It could literally be like a driver's license, which is effectively meaningless.

Are there laws prohibiting transporting guns across state lines? Say, would I be able to bring a shotgun to MA for the yearly turkey-shoot? (Skeet shooting, not real turkeys)

You have to check the law of each state that you'll travel through BUT you will probably never have any issue unless you are doing 130mph through a 35 and when you get pulled over, you whip out the weapon to show the cops how shiny the barrel is.

As far as I know, transporting a firearm that is secured, isn't illegal in any state. Secured means closed up in a gun case, glovebox, or something out of reach.

Every state have their own laws about transporting firearms. The universal one is to have your ammo and gun is different cases. With one of them locked.

They do a back round check when you purchase a firearm.

Blackwing has one of the nicer indoor ranges and that's where I go. Even though it's a 45 minute drive for me, it's worth it.

You have to check the law of each state that you'll travel through BUT you will probably never have any issue unless you are doing 130mph through a 35 and when you get pulled over, you whip out the weapon to show the cops how shiny the barrel is.

As far as I know, transporting a firearm that is secured, isn't illegal in any state. Secured means closed up in a gun case, glovebox, or something out of reach.

You mean they don't want to see my cool gun? ;)

It'll likely be in the trunk with a trigger lock and in a bag/case.

This year I got to fire a couple real nice shotguns. One was my uncle's 20ga over/under with a single trigger. Nice solid feel. Beautiful too with some nice etching.

But the one I loved was a flat-black 12ga semi-auto. It just felt "right". Got 3 of 5 with it. :)

Depends on your budget. If you just want something to start out I would recommend two guns for beginners.

Rifle = Ruger 10/22 Simple easy to shoot and ammo is still pretty cheap

Shotgun = Remington 870 Pump

Both of these guns are cheap/reliable and pretty good accuracy wise.

Depends on your budget. If you just want something to start out I would recommend two guns for beginners.

Rifle = Ruger 10/22 Simple easy to shoot and ammo is still pretty cheap

Shotgun = Remington 870 Pump

Both of these guns are cheap/reliable and pretty good accuracy wise.

What makes a gun "easy to shoot"? Seems like the mechanics are going to be the same for most any gun.

What makes a gun "easy to shoot"? Seems like the mechanics are going to be the same for most any gun.

Mechanics are going to be almost same but location of certain items and ease of finding them in a hurry if needed. I am not smart enough to give you technical reasons. Just personal experience they are both easy to use weapons lol. My remington 870 has 10k-20k rounds thru it and still feels like new.

Ruger 10/22

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.midwaysverige.com/schematics/PICS/ruger_10_22.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.midwaysverige.com/schematics/ruger10-20.html&usg=__us2rkR2fwvUYqtW1pdhzW6YNWGk=&h=665&w=530&sz=33&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=ZGhqVirhR8xiEM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Druger%2B10/22%2Bpictures%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_10/22

Ruger 10/22 has a huge following in the aftermarket. Most everyone who has fired a rifle has probally shot one of these rifles.

Mechanics are going to be almost same but location of certain items and ease of finding them in a hurry if needed. I am not smart enough to give you technical reasons. Just personal experience they are both easy to use weapons lol. My remington 870 has 10k-20k rounds thru it and still feels like new.

Ruger 10/22

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.midwaysverige.com/schematics/PICS/ruger_10_22.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.midwaysverige.com/schematics/ruger10-20.html&usg=__us2rkR2fwvUYqtW1pdhzW6YNWGk=&h=665&w=530&sz=33&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=ZGhqVirhR8xiEM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Druger%2B10/22%2Bpictures%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_10/22

Ruger 10/22 has a huge following in the aftermarket. Most everyone who has fired a rifle has probally shot one of these rifles.

Ok, that's what I thought. :) Much like saying a car is easy to drive. Any car is easy to drive, but some are a bit more ergonomic inside.

I think I'd start right out with something a bit bigger for a rifle. I'm interested in long range target shooting, so I don't think a 22 long will work out. I'd be looking into a gun that can grow with me and eventually take full advantage of a range like the one at Briar Rabbit. So I'm thinking of something in a .223 or .338 caliber. More expensive, I know, but I like the thought of something that's functional as well as fun. :)

I'd really like to get a hold of a shotgun that felt like the 12ga I fired this year. I don't know what it was about it, but it just felt right. I should ask my uncle if he remembers what it was..

For a pistol, I'm not sure exactly what I want in one.. I love the FiveseveN, but I hear they're hard to get and very pricey.

For a pistol I suggest a revolver as a first gun.

You can also go to a shooting range and rent their guns. Do that and get a good feel of the gun before you decide to buy. I only have a membership to new albany shooting range so I can't speak for other ranges, but NASR lets you rent pistols, shotguns, and rifles.

For a pistol I suggest a revolver as a first gun.

You can also go to a shooting range and rent their guns. Do that and get a good feel of the gun before you decide to buy. I only have a membership to new albany shooting range so I can't speak for other ranges, but NASR lets you rent pistols, shotguns, and rifles.

Out of curiosity, why a revolver?

If you want a long range rifle, get a .308. You can shoot 1000 yards easily and the ammo is readily available. However, if you really want to get out there, you'll spend more on the optics than the rifle. If you want more than 1000 yards, you'll need a .338 Lapua...