xbox live help

Big A

I can get online and play but when i try to join someones party it will not let me. it says that i have a strict NAT and to go to my router setup and enable my upnp. Did that and it is still saying the same thing. Anyone had this happen to them or know what might be wrong. I thinking my router is too slow/old or that it is going through a long kinda beat up ethernet cord?

Here is the link to the router

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v6.asp

Any ideas?

You need to forward the correct ports first. Or you could set the Xbox to DMZ. I have experienced multiple issues with friends routers being strict NAT on Xbox live even after port forwarding though. All were Netgear. Updating the firmware worked for one, and setting the Xbox to a static IP that was DMZ fixed the other. If you don't have a DMZ yet, that might be the easiest way.

You need to forward the correct ports first. Or you could set the Xbox to DMZ. I have experienced multiple issues with friends routers being strict NAT on Xbox live even after port forwarding though. All were Netgear. Updating the firmware worked for one, and setting the Xbox to a static IP that was DMZ fixed the other. If you don't have a DMZ yet, that might be the easiest way.

Not too good routers so what is it i should do? and how might i go about doing it. I can get the main options page for it and what not but what do i need to change in there for the port forwarding and such?

I remember having to do all that.. what a pita.

Yea your telling me.

Ok here is where im at. I

step 3-Default DMZ Server is the one for my xbox. this was the only DMZ thing i could find. sept 4- Went to port forwarding and started to put in the xbox but mine will not let me UPD, TCP, and UDP. i can only pick one of them and apply it not all? and i go to UPnp and i cant add or do anything in there. i enabled it but that is all and it doesnt say for what port. did the hard restart and of course it didnt fix it.

Is there any good cheap wireless router that i dont have to fuck with all this on? I hate doing this shit because i have no idea what im doing just changing stuff around hoping it works.

If your Xbox is the DMZ you shouldn't have to port forward anything. Just make sure you set a static IP for the Xbox so it doesn't get a different IP address later.

Yes there are many Xbox approved routers and most are listed on the Xbox website.