Dont laugh too much

93toNV

So recently i've been on this kick where I miss my old 92 Camaro and am looking for another 3rd gen. Does anyone know of any good places to look? Autotrader, Cars.com and craigslist all turned up with minimal results. Any other good places to check?

Guest tbutera2112

whatre you looking for? my dad always plays with the idea of getting rid of his... it needs the temp gauge fixed, and it needs tuned, and the brakes work but theyre not great, hes not sure why

89 iroc z, paint is oxidized on the rear hatch

idk what all is done to it...stock bottom end, everything else is built...paxton blower...never been to the track so no times on it...all the parts are brand new *well...theyre not new, they were purchased years ago and installed...the car hasnt been driven more than 200 miles in the last 3-4 years*...

if youre interested i could talk to him and see what he says

hes got a bunch of money into it though, so im not sure what he would get rid of it for... he always talk about selling it, but he never does...hes been like that for years with that car

and its got low miles, less than 70k i believe

Guest tbutera2112
lawl, god i hate you guys :p thanks for all the serious leads! Keep'em coming. Oh and yah if you get a chance let me know what your dad wants for his. Maybe snap a pic or 2 if you could!

i dont have pics...its at his friends shop getting a few things fixed up...ill talk to him about it though and see what he says...all i got is a really shit cell pic...or 3

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/287399456_974843015_0.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/287400037_974845078_0.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/0727071630.jpg

Also, I recently saw a '92 Heritage Z28 350 for sale on craigslist, it was black w/ red stripes and the red accents on the rims, looked NICE. I think it was all original and really low miles, so the price tag was a bit high. Not sure how much you're looking to spend but it was a beautiful car.

I frequently see third gens for sale locally on craigslist, so you might wanna keep your eye on there for some.

Is there a reason the gen 3's are not as popular as a fox body? Looks? mod potential? Can you fit a LSx in it? etc

Most people see them as a cheap hillbilly car. Some people think they're ugly but thats personal opinion. The TPI cars had great potential for their time. Yeah you can fit an LSx in it. Swaps are fairly easy and common on third gens, you just don't see them every day.

It's kinda rare to see a clean, well kept third gen driving around these days. I guess most people would rather have a 4th gen. I happen to love both

Is there a reason the gen 3's are not as popular as a fox body? Looks? mod potential? Can you fit a LSx in it? etc

This is likely to start a war but having a fourth-gen f-body and a fox body I will chime in on this..

302 is a mod hungry proven powerhouse with a great factory configuration, 3" short stroke, 4" bore, factory forged pistons before 93 so they love boost and nitrous, sounds incredible, and the engine bay is huge so its easy to work on- Many argue that it takes an LS1 to get a better more mod friendly powerplant. The 305 isn't really worth discussing in comparison but the 350 models are acceptable but by no means the monster of the ls1.

The mustang 8.8 rearend on full slicks and 5K rpm clutch dumps is near indestructible, if you do break something, after adding power, it will likely be the axle splines and they are cheaply upgraded (250.00). The 7 5/8" 10 bolt is so fragile a 2000 rpm launch on drag radials can shatter the ring gear with not much power beyond stock.

The t5 transmission in both is a nice shifting unit when new but does not take abuse well but the pro is they are cheap to repair/replace... really you need a t56 from a fourth-gen and the vettes/vipers which is an awesome transmission but MUCH heavier (75lbs versus 300 I think). There are kits to put them in mustangs and they might just bolt up to third-gens so that really isn't an issue for either.

The coupe body available on the fox mustang has much more structural rigidity than the f-bodies especially with a t-top version in comparison so they are quieter and stiffer- I have only been in a few hatch foxes and they are about equal to f-bodies.

The fox body is also lighter- especially coupe models.

I have never had the pleasure of working on a third-gen but it looks about equal to a fox- neither are anywhere near the !@%% it is to work on a fourth-gen.

So for drag racing the fox mustangs are easier to make fast. BUT because of that they are also a lot more expensive... you can get third-gens for next to nothing in comparison and a 12 bolt and ls1 is a proven upgrade but they aren't cheap at that point so back to the fox.

NOW for autox/road racing- the camaros are 5 lug for more wheel low profile tire options from the factory, have a nice 3 link rear suspension (torque arm, 2 lower control arms and a panhard is a cheap available upgrade, versus the POS 4 link the ford's have. They also have double wishbone (SLA) suspensions with true macphersons in the front (at least the 4-gens do and I bet all that stuff bolts on if not). I bet they also have more camber adjustment as well as a result which the foxes seriously lack. You can also fit 275s easily at all four corners in a f-body which is near impossible in the front of the fox with stock fenders and post 87 k-member.

AND even though I think the third gens also have drum brakes I think the fourth-gen brakes will bolt right on as well which are eons better than the mustang stuff which you have to convert spindles and hubs and axles all sorts of stuff to get the sn95 stuff on which isn't much better. The cobra stuff is better than stock fourth-gen stuff but I know of at least a few fourth-gens that put corvette and porsche brakes on.

That is my 10 cents on the pony cars. If I wanted to autox/road race cheaply third gen, cheap drag racing fox body.