english bulldog???????

ruinms

does anyone have a english bulldog? im looking at buying my fiance one for valentines day. if you do have a english bulldog how are they around kids? do the dogs get mean with age? has anyone gotten a dog from a pet store? i just want a little more info on them on how they are as pets. thanks in advance any info is good info.

My neighbors used to have one and she was AWESOME! My absolute favorite dog.

Great around teens and kids just before teen years. I've had no experience with them around toddlers.

They are very active, and fun to play with, but very obedient.

I say go for it. They are great great dogs, and they get along with other dogs very well.

My wife wanted one, but we read that they had a lot of health problems, so we got a st. bernard....which had a lot of health problems. So i'm pretty sure its totally dependent on the dog.

I wouldnt get from a pet sotre, get from a reputable breeder, then tend to be healthier and actually cost a lot less. Petland was charging $4000 for bulldogs! a breeder you can get one for around 2k

EBD's are expensive to purchase. Also, they are expensive to maintain (vet bills). They have MANY health issues that you should look into before purchase. And then, ONLY buy from a reputible breeder, NOT PETLAND (or the like).

:thumbup:

KillJoy

EBD's are expensive to purchase. Also, they are expensive to maintain (vet bills). They have MANY health issues that you should look into before purchase. And then, ONLY buy from a reputible breeder, NOT PETLAND (or the like).

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Cool dogs, but he's absolutely right. I've been involved with dogs (not just owning a few) and have also known many who've owned the breed. Reproduction, breeding, and health problems are prevalent. Along with breathing issues, as well. (I hope insane snoring is not a problem for you.;)) They're very succeptible to heat stroke and sensitive to cold. As someone else said above, they have very 'active' digestive systems. They're also succeptible to skin infections and hip problems. Of course, it will vary from dog to dog, but you can almost guarantee at least a couple of these problems. Diet is important, especially during growth so as not to undernourish or overnourish (can cause growth and hip issues, etc.)

If you really want one, I suggest you do alot of research, not only on the breed, but on where you plan on purchasing one from. A reputable seller with an excellent, well-thought out breeding program and a good history, will go a long way towards a healthy English with less problems. I'd suggest even speaking to some of their (<--whoever you choose) customers and seeing how their Bulldogs have faired health wise and temperment.

It may seem like I'm talking you out of it, but I'm not. I'm all for someone purchasing a healthy, well bred example of a breed. With some, it just take more work. Good luck.

Things are built like a fucking tank. My cousin had one that HATED dirtbikes and fourwheelers. Stupid thing would chase them around everywhere. I was racing a guy on a banshee one day on my old KX100 and managed to hit this dog 6th gear pinned. I went flipping. Dog went flipping. Bike went flipping. Bike landed on me. I looked up, and this fucking dog went walking off like nothing happened.

Dumb dog.

I like my boxer too, and they cost nothing near the price.

There is a boxer rescue out by me where we got my boxer from. The only thing about them is bark bark bark bark bark bark. AND BARK!

English Bull Dogs have trouble breathing too because of their faces, so you can't let them play for an extreme amount of time or they will have an "Asthma Attack".

Olde English Bulldogge's are AWESOME. They don't have the health problems of a english bulldogge.

You can get them in a BUlly Fashion (Low slung) or in a Atheltic Fashion which is what my big joe is. They are awesome with kids and people.

I have a an english bulldog, its a sweetdog and trainable, but that thing is the dumbest dog ive ever seen. It chases everything, and there are health problems, my dog threw out her hips chasing me on a four wheeler, and they have alot of breathing problems. Besides the health issues there a good dog to own, and are lazy so they make a good house/apartment dog.

I'm partial to American things.. Sooo with that said.. American Bulldogs are the way to go..

English bulldogs are cool if you don't get them from the breeders that sell them as lap dogs.. Plus they are really really expensive.

If you want a dog that has very few worries about health or behavior, get a Border Collie.

They're easily in the top three smartest dog breeds, have tons of energy, are incredible with kids, can be trained to do damn near anything, and have amazing patience.

The only drawback to BCs is that you HAVE to exercise them. They have BOUNDLESS energy, and if they don't get regular exercise, they can become destructive.

I've been debating getting a dog for the past few months, but the breed was never in question, it'll be a BC.

idk why its a good dog but i can buy some shit for my car with that money lol

thats what im saying a dog shouldnt cost thousands just to have companionship i bought my boxer for $150 and my moms golden retreiver for $200. Plus im a supporter of looking at shelters first.

ok so now im kinda scared about this english bulldog thing. i was all for it but, i wasnt thinking about how they have problems. i have a english mastiff that my parents wont let me take when i buy a house. i really would like a pit bull but im gonna look into english and american bulldog.

I wouldn't get a pit if its going to be around any kids. I have taken care of 3 for around 6 months, they were pretty good dogs but they are strong and don't know their strength. They like to play a lot and bite some as they do so. I also had one that usually would sit on my lap and chill turn on me and started attacking my legs. I don't mind them but you have to be able to train them and have a lot of patience with them. I think there might be special insurance you have to have to own them too, but I'm not entirely sure.

You are required by law to have at least $100,000 liability coverage on your homeowner's insurance if you own a "bull breed" according to the dog warden's jacked-up subjection of what a bull breed actually is. Since the American Pit Bull Terrier isn't recognized by the AKC, the authorities can call anything with a stocky body and short coat a Pit Bull, and give you all kinds of grief.

I have a pair of English Bull Terriers that are, luckily, always excluded from the subjective "bull breed" legislation.

You are required by law to have at least $100,000 liability coverage on your homeowner's insurance if you own a "bull breed" according to the dog warden's jacked-up subjection of what a bull breed actually is. Since the American Pit Bull Terrier isn't recognized by the AKC, the authorities can call anything with a stocky body and short coat a Pit Bull, and give you all kinds of grief.

I have a pair of English Bull Terriers that are, luckily, always excluded from the subjective "bull breed" legislation.

Not on an English Bulldog though. Pit, Rot, Dober and I believe Chow Chow are "suppose" to have insurance. At least Licking county is. That's what I read somewhere when I was getting my pit-terrier.

If you want a dog that has very few worries about health or behavior, get a Border Collie.

They're easily in the top three smartest dog breeds, have tons of energy, are incredible with kids, can be trained to do damn near anything, and have amazing patience.

The only drawback to BCs is that you HAVE to exercise them. They have BOUNDLESS energy, and if they don't get regular exercise, they can become destructive.

I've been debating getting a dog for the past few months, but the breed was never in question, it'll be a BC.

I've owned two. A short coat male and a rough coat female. Some of the best fucking dogs I've ever owned and smartest, bar none. I will own another Border Collie.

I wouldn't get a pit if its going to be around any kids. I have taken care of 3 for around 6 months, they were pretty good dogs but they are strong and don't know their strength. They like to play a lot and bite some as they do so. I also had one that usually would sit on my lap and chill turn on me and started attacking my legs. I don't mind them but you have to be able to train them and have a lot of patience with them. I think there might be special insurance you have to have to own them too, but I'm not entirely sure.

I've owned pits and the like w/kids and have known many others with them and have kids. They wouldn't trust their kids to anyone or anything else. As with any animal, it must be properly trained, of course. Small dogs have a much increased chance of harming your children.

Excluded? Really? Hmm, every list I've seen always included them. Guess you got lucky here. BTW, I love BullTerriers. Cool; tons of personality.

In addition with my english bulldog, i have a pit bull as well. The pit is better than english bulldog. I also have a 1 year old son, and he can pull the pits ears, poke her eyes, and try to ride her like a horse and she just lays there and takes it. Dont believe most things they say about pits. Ive always believed its how you train your dog, not the breed.