GM Eaton Locking Differential - G80

zeitgeist57

My '82 2WD Silverado is understandably having a heck of a time in the snow and ice, with an open-diff 14-bolt rear end. I was looking at locker/posi units, and I came across an Eaton "G80" automatic locker for less than $200. Looks like a good unit that offers open-diff driving for normal conditions (99% of my driving) and then a locker that kicks in when you need it.

Any weak spots with these? Anyone know of someone that has a 14-bolt (9.5" ring gear) locally with a G80 they want to sell?

I had another GM fullsize 2WD truck, and I put a TrueTrac rear on it and it handled great in slippery conditions.

G80 is just the RPO code for a limited slip. It isn't a locker, unless it's different in that setup anyway...

G80 is a locker, i have one in my half ton. my dad has one in his avalanche and my old 2500 had one. they make loud noise when they lock if one wheel is spinning too fast. other than that i have never had to do any work on one for any issues.

G80 is a locker, i have one in my half ton. my dad has one in his avalanche and my old 2500 had one. they make loud noise when they lock if one wheel is spinning too fast. other than that i have never had to do any work on one for any issues.

You are correct. The G80 is the RPO code for GM's "Gov Lock"

these seem to be the first pieces replaced on GM trucks when they are being built for a little off-road use. should be fine for road use though.

There is a solid reason for this. The G80 Locker only operates after one wheels spins a couple revolutions more than the other. This is not good in hard core off road but great for adverse conditions.

they are known for breaking too, with something like 35s and a little throttle.

very true, because of how they work, which i have explained. Get that 35 spinning then lock it in... bang.