Turbo Volvo's?

T Rex

I was reading in the GTP thread about how decent these cars were for the price. I started looking at some GTP's thinking about what other cars would be fun to own on the semi-cheap.

It seems like you can find lots of Turbo Volvo's for less than 4000, they have an average of 150k miles though. Anyone with decent experince with these know if thats worth it?

I actually like the way these cars look. If I could buy one right now it would be a 95 850 Turbo Wagon.

More expensive to fix than the GTP, not as fast and (from what I've seen) tend to be a problem nightmare above 100k...

Which ones are you refering to? every Volvo that i have ever heard about has been dead reliable. Nick has one (albeit a newer one) im sure he will chime in as soon as he's done with his latest B&E.

It really depends on what you want it for. If you want something easy to fix and can make some decent power, than you want an older 850. Most people just expect these things to go to 300k... they are very under built engines, meaning they are way stronger than they need to be for their factory output.

If you want to jump into the S40/60/80 go with the 2002-2004 Phase 2 styles. Tey had twin scroll turbos as opposed to single scroll and upgraded MAF's. The downside to these cars are that parts are hard to find... and when you do find them, you WILL pay for them. But they are "Full Race" quality, and make HUGE differences. My perticular car, is really quite amazing to me. I still cant get over my trip out here, and how after driving uphill almost the whole way, against the wind, and towing that trailer, that the motor didn't just explode from being in boost nearly all the time. But it STILL got 20mpg doing it.

Volvos are similar to M3's in that they aren't the absolute best at anything, they just do everything extremely well respectively. Mine is working its way to the 90k mark, and it still runs great... still gets 32-34mpg on the interstate and will shit and get from the traffic lights if i want it to.

From what i understand, this car had about 120k on the clock when it was put together, and makes more than 500hp without much problem. Its also using a V70R turbocharger, the TD04-19T... not a very big compressor to be honest.

Case and Point:

For my car, in order to replace both ignition coils, (two cyl are direct fire, the other have leads) and both plug leads, its going to cost roughly... $150... and that's CHEAP.

Just for the 2 wires, is $50... for TWO! Thats what i mean, for these "newer" ones, as in 6-10yrs old, the parts do cost, but when you buy, you get GREAT parts.

i had my volvo 2001 s40 SE ("sport version from euope" or something like that")... for over two years , i replaced the turbo with a 14T, full exhaust, ecu tune to euro spec 14t upgrade, and for shits put on a intake which really wasnt needed but made the recurcultive boost valve sound really nice..

wish i had the car still.. i would estimate around 230 whp.. and it would scoot and still AVG 29 mpg city/highway... it was in the shop twice... once for brake's and rotors and one for the turbo/ecu upgrade.. other then that i had it for 60K (48K-108K) and never had a problem... and i beat the hell out of it alot and it just kept on going... im in the market now for a s60r as soon as the denali is paid for... You get alot of shit driving a volvo really its a great car for the money.

i had my volvo 2001 s40 SE ("sport version from euope" or something like that")... for over two years , i replaced the turbo with a 14T, full exhaust, ecu tune to euro spec 14t upgrade, and for shits put on a intake which really wasnt needed but made the recurcultive boost valve sound really nice..

wish i had the car still.. i would estimate around 230 whp.. and it would scoot and still AVG 29 mpg city/highway... it was in the shop twice... once for brake's and rotors and one for the turbo/ecu upgrade.. other then that i had it for 60K (48K-108K) and never had a problem... and i beat the hell out of it alot and it just kept on going... im in the market now for a s60r as soon as the denali is paid for... You get alot of shit driving a volvo really its a great car for the money.

This is true... you can beat the bajeebus out of these engines and they just keep right on going... hence the reason i asked about the 24hr race last week ;)