salvage title q's

Dave1647545494

ok I just picked up a 95t-bird with a salvage title not rebuilt salvage just salvage. when I got the title put in my name I also purchased a salvage inspection reciept. the directions on the reciept say I have to show receipts for purchases of major parts.I have not put any parts on the car and just want to use it for a snow beater for a couple months. the car has a decent sized dent in the rr quarter panel is that enough to total one out? the car runs and drives if anybody has had one of these inspected before chime in so I don't waste my time/money taking this thing to get inspected 20 times. If they are just going to match the vin and make sure the lights work like they do on out of state inspection I'm covered

thanks in advance

You call the number to set up an appointment to have the car inspected. They tell you when to bring it in, and send you a letter that authorizes you to drive the car directly to the inspection station from wherever you have it (*and you have to tell them a street address*), and then directly back after the inspection. You don't have to have a license plate on it for that one trip, in fact make darn sure that you don't have an old one on there, it could get you in trouble. I guess you could tow it if you want, but they will make you unload it and drive it into the inspection station.

Basically, what they do is check the engine and tranny VIN against the chassis VIN, and do a search to make sure that none of those parts are stolen.

Guest Removed
last time i did one they made sure all the lights worked horn etc and check some numbers and i was gone in 20 minutes. waited a 1 1/2 weeks for the inspection Edited by Removed

As long as the lights work you should be good to go, I don't think they check any safety items. As said before make sure you don't have any tags on it when you drive there, thats a big no no. The inspection reciept is all you need to legally drive it to the inspection. If you didn't replace anything then you shouldn't need any other reciepts. They just check and make sure the parts aren't stolen on the car. They check a couple vins and make sure they match and send you on your way. If you are going to Columbus it should go smooth those guys there are pretty easy going. I usually take between 2-4 cars a month there so if you have any questions just ask.

my dad had plates and tags on his bike...its a salvage... how does that work? the title even says salvage all over it.. not rebuilt

same thing with this car it was the guys daily I think they used to just overlook it when the economy was better and now they are trying to get every dime they can

• 3 months later...
You have to go to the BMV and purchase the receipt. Once you have bought the receipt, you can call the OSP and schedule an appointment to do the inspection at the area inspection site. Make sure you take the receipt you bought at the BMV with you, they'll ask for it. Having the reciept allows you to operate the vehicle on the road to and from the inspection site without a valid registration.

Guest tbutera2112
You have to go to the BMV and purchase the receipt. Once you have bought the receipt, you can call the OSP and schedule an appointment to do the inspection at the area inspection site. Make sure you take the receipt you bought at the BMV with you, they'll ask for it. Having the reciept allows you to operate the vehicle on the road to and from the inspection site without a valid registration.

do i have to buy the receipt and then also pay for the inspection? or is the receipt thing $50 and i just show up for inspection?

Guest tbutera2112

the bike was totalled in 1998...its been a salvage ever since then... so i dont have any receipts for anything at all...will this be a problem?

bike has had like 17k miles put on it since it was salvaged...they let me dad register and insure it without ever getting inspected

Guest tbutera2112
i talked to the BMV and ill post what they said incase anyone else stumbles across this... the bmv redirected me to franklin country sheriff salvage place and they said since it was supposed to be salvaged 11 years ago, they will write it as previous salvage or something because i have no receipts