Hdmi cables

SilverEvo8owner

I need some help. I have spent so time looking around trying to find out the deal on these things. I am planning on picking a Samsung LN52A850 52inch lcd HDTV and I am planning on placing it above my fireplace. The tv is a 120hz tv and in order to mount it cleanly, I am probably going to need at least a 25 foot cable. The only cable available at best buy is a rediculous 399 dollar cable thats 35 ft long. The guy said that if i have a 120hz cable I need a 120hz capable cable. It this correct or is he giving me the run around?

ANy gurus?

+1 for monoprice..the markup on cables in retail stores is outrageous, in some cases its over 1000% markup..

it doesn't matter, the signal is digital. either you have a signal or you don't, the cable is not going to change the outcome of the picture unless it is defective.

I know some HD junkies that would love to argue that.

I've got to call BS on the "120mhz rated" thing. That's procesing at the TV itself. If a cable meets HDMI spec you're good to go. No need to take it in the ass for hype.

Like anything else, car parts for example :D, you do a bit of research to get to the truth and save yourself some heartache and money.

I've got to call BS on the "120mhz rated" thing. That's procesing at the TV itself. If a cable meets HDMI spec you're good to go. No need to take it in the ass for hype.

Yes and no... when you're running at that high a frequency, wires are no longer just conductors, but also antennas. Gigabit over copper (1000BaseT) runs into problems because of this when turning corners: bend the wire too much, and instead of getting a nice clean signal out the other end, you get gibberish. You're right that if the cable's rated for HDMI, you should be in the clear, but trumpeting the 120MHz rating (which, admittedly, probably *is* the spec) makes for good marketing, sorta like how USB2 is sooooooo much faster than USB1, even though in practical application, you rarely see a difference (let's face it, people can only type so fast).