To those who grind coffee

TTQ B4U

What's your favorite brand / blend?

I just got into grinding our own and am amazed at how much better and richer the taste is.

Haven't tried too many, but so far the Kroger Private Selection is pretty good.

They have a Breakfast Blend that is milder, all the way up to Fog-Lifter, which is pretty bold. Drinking that right now :)

Most people don't realize how moody coffee is (i did not either till I started my current job) anyway there are a few things most people don't know

1. Beans "die" (taste wise) after 12-24 hours after unsealed

2. temp of the water used in the brewing affect taste

3. Time it takes it to brew can make it bitter or weak depending

4. Espresso beans are the same as coffee beans but the ones rated espresso are better quality like say eggs the espresso's are A or A+

5. a good filtered water system will improve that taste as well

I know it is not what you ask about totaly but thought you might like to know

Ahh caffeine abuse questions. You are talking my language now!

I love starbucks breakfast blend whole beans even though they are more expensive. The taste is richer. I keep them in an airtight metal jar. I only pull out enough to grind up to make coffee for the day. Kroger private selection stuff I can't stand. It tastes too bitter and dry. I only use filtered cold water from my PUR tap filter. Make a half a pot of coffee at a time. Never make a full pot. Tastes better that way in my opinion.

Now you want to talk espresso makers? I use those illy ESE pods that have everything ready for you. I only make 1.5oz shot with one pod. If I don't have those pods I will use up my starbucks whole beans. The pods really make a difference. 18 come in a pack and they are expensive ($13-15) but worth it. Oh and use only filtered water in the espresso maker.

Ahh caffeine abuse questions. You are talking my language now!

I love starbucks breakfast blend whole beans even though they are more expensive. The taste is richer. I keep them in an airtight metal jar. I only pull out enough to grind up to make coffee for the day. Kroger private selection stuff I can't stand. It tastes too bitter and dry. I only use filtered cold water from my PUR tap filter. Make a half a pot of coffee at a time. Never make a full pot. Tastes better that way in my opinion.

Now you want to talk espresso makers? I use those illy ESE pods that have everything ready for you. I only make 1.5oz shot with one pod. If I don't have those pods I will use up my starbucks whole beans. The pods really make a difference. 18 come in a pack and they are expensive ($13-15) but worth it. Oh and use only filtered water in the espresso maker.

IMO, Starbucks has terrible coffee.. their beans are over cooked and too bitter to enjoy. This is in general though, I hadn't had much interest in Starbuck's beans to try their different blends and so forth.

I typically rock Verona or Italian Roast from Starbucks. There is a definite difference from getting coffee freshly ground vs buying it ground from Krogers. I don't grind my own, but I brew it. I've had Breakfast Blend, Pike Place, Verona, Italian and always willing to try more.

Love getting starbucks fresh, but that often costs more and adds more time to my day. Coffee bags from starbucks contain a valve that will allow air to escape, but will not allow the air to come back in, so if you wrap it tight enough it will help the coffee not go stale as fast.

I typically rock Verona or Italian Roast from Starbucks. There is a definite difference from getting coffee freshly ground vs buying it ground from Krogers. I don't grind my own, but I brew it. I've had Breakfast Blend, Pike Place, Verona, Italian and always willing to try more.

Love getting starbucks fresh, but that often costs more and adds more time to my day. Coffee bags from starbucks contain a valve that will allow air to escape, but will not allow the air to come back in, so if you wrap it tight enough it will help the coffee not go stale as fast.

They call it a belly-button valve that should be on every soft-packaged coffee bag that you purchase anywhere. The carbon that's released from the oils in the beans after roasting should be ventilated from whichever form of packaging the beans are in to preserve freshness. It's the presence of Oxygen that causes staleness and the one-way "belly-button" allows that carbon to escape and not let oxygen back in. They would removed the gasses from the coffee before packaging it in cans and even filling the cans with nitrogen IIRC.

Freshly grind every single cup I drink.

Work Beans : Crimson Cup Special Muirfield Blend (roasted and bagged locally for us)

Cappuchino Beans: Crimson Cup Armando's Blend

Home Beans: Starbucks Ethiopian Sun-dried & Godiva Hazelnut Chocolate (kept in the freezer, in tupperware)

ESE pods taste like the paper they are encased in. ACK!!! I have the Keurig (Uses the K cups) and just use the mesh basket to brew whatever coffee I want!

ESE pods taste like the paper they are encased in. ACK!!! I have the Keurig (Uses the K cups) and just use the mesh basket to brew whatever coffee I want!

Yeah I want to try the K cups but I am not sure they will work in my machine. I only take the shots and throw them in milk and ice so doesn't taste like paper to me.

How many of you guys make Mocha's? I've never been too heavy into coffee but I dig mocha's b/c with enough chocolate they taste delicious. I gave up Starbucks b/c 4 bucks for a Mocha is nuts. Is there an easy way to make these at home? I've done no research on the issue so don't flame me, just figured i'd ask given the topic.

How many of you guys make Mocha's? I've never been too heavy into coffee but I dig mocha's b/c with enough chocolate they taste delicious. I gave up Starbucks b/c 4 bucks for a Mocha is nuts. Is there an easy way to make these at home? I've done no research on the issue so don't flame me, just figured i'd ask given the topic.

Step1 Place chocolate syrup in bottom of a tall, thick glass or large mug.

Step2 Prepare 1 shot (1 to 1 1/2 oz.) of espresso.

Step3 Steam the milk.

Step4 Add 3/4 of the milk to the glass or mug and stir gently.

Step5 Add the espresso and stir again.

Step6 Add the rest of the steamed milk.

Step7 Place a dollop of whipped cream on top of mocha and sprinkle with chocolate shavings or cinnamon for decoration.

Rotarded is the one voice of reason in this thread. Get your beans from Crimson Cup. Or any fair trade place. But Crimson Cup is good. CHARbucks should be shoved out of the market for consistently burning their beans. I don't know about you guys but every cup of coffee I have ever had from there has tasted like pure carbon.

I'll give a shout out to an old friend, Erich Gellner. Any of you east side guys need to check out Java's Cyber Espresso Bar and help an independent small business out. He gets all Crimson Cup coffee and will order you any kind of bean you want. I used to work there so he hooks me up whenever I'm back in town.

@Rotarded, Java's uses Armando's Blend in every cup of coffee except the monthly selection.

Anyways back on point; I have three current favorite beans. I just brewed cups of the first two so I could drink as I ponder and write, the third I haven't gotten in a long time:

Kenya AA: AA denotes this is the largest bean exported from Kenya, but this bean is also very dark and very acidic. Very strong body, some prefer it black but I take mine with just a bit of half and half to smooth it out. This is considered to be one of the wine-y Kenyan beans.

New Guinea Plantation A: A bit lighter than the Kenya AA, this is what I usually drink. Its great black, with cream or skim (how I usually make mine...caffe au lait style), and I don't drink it with sugar but I'm told its excellent.

Kauai Estate: This is the hardcore shit. Very expensive. Like the last time I got it was when I worked at Java's so I got it at cost and it was $10 a pound. I think getting it online its around $15 a pound. Either way, if you ever come across this stuff you have to get it; I think it's better than Jamaican Blue Mountain and I'd give you a review of the taste but I haven't had it in something like 4 years so I don't really remember. Either way its fucking great coffee.

Ultimate Coffee Experience:

African Turkish blend? Delicious.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/ib.jpg

Ground SUPER fine.. goes right into the Ibrik with a little Cardemom and Brown Sugar.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/ib4.jpg

Ibrik waiting to boil.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/ib3.jpg

Crema forming... let rise and fall 3x.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/ib5.jpg

Beautiful, light Crema.. great aroma and most amazing taste of coffee.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/ib6.jpg

Just to show you the grounds.. don't drink the last sip :)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/ib7.jpg

Thanks Doc, what a terrible addiction. :)