Delaware: Big boom wednesday night?

Science Abuse

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So thus far, we've got window-shaking booms observed here:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2830/boommapys7.png

That's not going to be Quarry blasting or a house blowing up. I'm leaning toward sonic boom, something moving fast in a north-south direction... or south-north.. would need specific times for that.

You can add Pickerington to that mapzor.

I remember hearing something sometime last week but dint think much of it, also thought that it was probably ice. But I heard it twice. This was sometime between 9-11pm, not sure what night and the two bangs were about 30-60mins apart.

a house blew completely up off of cheshire street in delaware. and i mean the whole damn house is gone. and part of it lying on the van in the driveway. i have never in my life seen anything like it. my best friend justin's (evil666stang) father lives across the street from the house and i guess it shattered some of his windows and did some other damage? i dont know much more on the story....but i thought it was a meth lab in the basement or something?lol

It was an underground propane tank. shit was crazy

I have no clue what the "big boom" was though. Maybe it was another universe being created?? Big Bang anyone?

Here's something that might be the cause http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/fireball_log2009.html

Seems there were lots of fireball reports for last Wednesday. Bright one too. Magnitude -10 is the brightest full moon equivalent.

That is thread-gold right there! Thanks for the link!

Time to call the dispatch and ask them WTF they aren't onto this?

Updated map:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4382/boommappt9.jpg

There has been a lot of military activity over the past 3 weeks, My dad told me that he just processsed a bill for 3 SR-71 Blackbirds?!?!?!?! I thought that was a dead project but all three leaving Wright Patterson and breaking mach 1 above 50,000 feet would create a wide spread boom like what everyone heard.

And just for the record,the govt will do what they want when they want to do it.They just tell us things so we relax.

This plane is baller,so i hope this is what it was. This was the only plane capable of outrunning SAM's.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/barrytrue/SR71-10.jpg

My brother and I saw one of the "fireballs" shoot across 161 Wed. night around 9-10PM (can't remember what time exactly).
Where abouts was he?

That fireball website lists a few sightings aroun 10:30 weds night. Draw a line from Charolette NC to Pinkeny MI and it not only goes right across Cbus, but it's heading toward/from the magnetic north pole. Did he say if it was moving south or north? (Most move away from the poles due to our badass magnetic field)

Where abouts was he?

That fireball website lists a few sightings aroun 10:30 weds night. Draw a line from Charolette NC to Pinkeny MI and it not only goes right across Cbus, but it's heading toward/from the magnetic north pole. Did he say if it was moving south or north? (Most move away from the poles due to our badass magnetic field)

But 10:30p is way to early to explain the sound we all heard at 11:30-12:00.

But 10:30p is way to early to explain the sound we all heard at 11:30-12:00.

Hmm, I'm going off the sighting time listed on the site. They list the times in "local time", could be it was buggered up.

I suppoze it would be good for posters to list (as accurately as possible) when they heard/saw what they heard/saw.

Where abouts was he?

My brother and I were on 161 Heading West twards 270. When we saw it I would say we were between the New Albany rd. exit and Hamilton Rd. The fireball came from the south and was headed north.

The one over on Section Line? You're right, it's been strangely quiet of late. Those blasts typically shake my office, and we haven't had so much as a rumble in the past few months.

same here it is 2 feilds behind my house and no shakes for awhile. I didn't hear any big booms on wed night but i was passed the hell out

same here it is 2 feilds behind my house and no shakes for awhile. I didn't hear any big booms on wed night but i was passed the hell out

If you hear anything too loud, you may want to peek back and make sure all of your buildings are still above ground. :p How the area looking with this thaw?

Just spoke with my brother (Delaware), and he said that he didn't hear his boom untill the wee hours of the morning, 2-3am. Wierd.

what about the new f22 raptor doin testing out of wright patt...those things hit the sound barrier...my dad designed the coating system on them and recently has been taking alot of trips to wright patt but cant tell me what for because of his security clearance...???

what about the new f22 raptor doin testing out of wright patt...those things hit the sound barrier...my dad designed the coating system on them and recently has been taking alot of trips to wright patt but cant tell me what for because of his security clearance...???

Indeed. The radar absorbing materials that coat those pricey bastards are "proprietary" to the US armed forces.

Special permission is needed to break the sound barrier, but that's not to say that it's terribly hard to get, especially for Wright Patt. Operations would explain the time dispursion of instances that night, but even afte the boom has passed, you still can hear something of a sound from the jet engiens.

Special permission is needed to break the sound barrier, but that's not to say that it's terribly hard to get, especially for Wright Patt. Operations would explain the time dispursion of instances that night, but even afte the boom has passed, you still can hear something of a sound from the jet engiens.

Military does testing all the time, they usually try to do it outside residential areas though. If they thought something was up, they'd scramble whatever planes were needed at whatever speed needed regardless of the consequenses.

My "adopted" dad was working on the F22 as well before he passed. (2 years ago).

The plane is cool as shit.