Monitoring Home Electric

Sully

I am planning on finishing my basement, hopefully this year. Before I start, I will be putting a new sump pump in as well as a battery backup sump pump. From what I've read, most sump pump batteries will only last a couple hours.

As we all know, there are times when the power goes out and it's out for several hours, maybe even days. I'm away from home quite a bit. I would like to be notified somehow, phone call or e-mail, that my power is out and would also like to be notified when the power is restored.

Anybody know of a way this can be done?

Thanks,

Mike

I am planning on finishing my basement, hopefully this year. Before I start, I will be putting a new sump pump in as well as a battery backup sump pump. From what I've read, most sump pump batteries will only last a couple hours.

As we all know, there are times when the power goes out and it's out for several hours, maybe even days. I'm away from home quite a bit. I would like to be notified somehow, phone call or e-mail, that my power is out and would also like to be notified when the power is restored.

Anybody know of a way this can be done?

Thanks,

Mike

I think most alarm companies can do this (ADT, etc..)

I know with battery backup systems used for computers they have an option to run a line to your PC. When it goes off you can have it trigger an e-mail to be sent. I doubt one of these UPS would run a pump for more then a few hours... but it is an option. On top of that you need a dedicated computer running connected to the battery plus your internet hookup running off the battery.

You might just want to get ADT.

not sure on the notification thing....but depending on the unit you get they could actually last quite a while.

ours is a sears that when teamed with the proper marine battery will run upwards of 12.5hrs continuously. that would be well 10,000 gals of water pumped out too.

that's pretty strong considering that it normally only kicks on a couple times per hour. completely unplugged it will last upwards of 5 days at 10%

depending on your basement layout, it may be worth replacing the hot water tank too. we finished 100% of our basement and created a nice finished laundry room and I didn't want the old one leaking or anything. it was about 15yrs old when we replaced it.

Just install a good Battery Backup (with monitoring) on your home PC. Have it configured to send an email to an account you check, or a sms to a phone. Have your Cable Modem / Router connected to the Battery Backup as well.

Sounds simple to me.... well, that, and the above Marine Battery recomendation.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

depending on your basement layout, it may be worth replacing the hot water tank too. we finished 100% of our basement and created a nice finished laundry room and I didn't want the old one leaking or anything. it was about 15yrs old when we replaced it.

Better yet, skip the tank and go for a tankless water heater. My parents went that way about ten years ago, and it seriously dropped their gas bill.

Better yet, skip the tank and go for a tankless water heater. My parents went that way about ten years ago, and it seriously dropped their gas bill.

Actually we did that too.....I was just too lazy to go into the details :o We still have a boiler tank though as we also have suplimental radiant heat baseboard heating system in our home keeping our master bedroom and another area of the house nice and toasty :D Heated floors in the bathroom and kitchen are next :cool:

not sure on the notification thing....but depending on the unit you get they could actually last quite a while.

ours is a sears that when teamed with the proper marine battery will run upwards of 12.5hrs continuously. that would be well 10,000 gals of water pumped out too.

+1

Mine is the smallest "Basement Watchdog" but I'm using the battery for the larger ones. It's very simple to install and works well. The small pump has nearly the output of my main pump (1/3 hp Zoeller?) and they claim it will run ~12 hours continuous on the large battery. I have less than $300 in all of it including plumbing stuff/check valves/acid.

I did this tight after I moved in to my house because the basement is finished. I no longer worry about weather and outages when I'm away and I also have the added benefit of not needing to pay the additional basement flooding insurance.

I also have the added benefit of not needing to pay the additional basement flooding insurance.

don't brush that off just yet though....it still could happen. I had a friend in Chicago who had over $30k in his finished basement, with a back up system and it still flooded. Cost him huge too. Damn shame as it happened within the first year of his basement being done. it didn't raise my premium much at all.

I haven't heard of the backup batteries that will run 12 hrs continuously. I will have to see if I can find one of those. Something else I just ran across which I could put in the sump pump pit and by the water heater is this:

http://www.comforthouse.com/polhearratmo.html

I think all of that together should cover me.

don't brush that off just yet though....it still could happen. I had a friend in Chicago who had over $30k in his finished basement, with a back up system and it still flooded. Cost him huge too. Damn shame as it happened within the first year of his basement being done. it didn't raise my premium much at all.

That's a good point. I never really asked how much it costs for the added protection, so it may not be saving me much anyway.

At least in my case it's a fairly basic setup. It would probably only cost me about $3K or less to duplicate since it's basically just framing lumber, drywall and cheap carpet.

I do feel much better knowing I have at least some backup while I'm away. An ounce of prevention > Pound of cure, but obviously having preventative measures and insurance would be best in case shit happens and you do need to replace it. The one I have also kicks in to help the primary pump if needed, which is nice. When we got hit with the storm the other day we damn near had a flash flood outside and the backup kicked on a few times because the primary was barely keeping up.

When we got hit with the storm the other day we damn near had a flash flood outside and the backup kicked on a few times because the primary was barely keeping up.

if the main system was being overwhelmed, check for low spots in your yard. The drainage pipe may have collapsed and is choking the system. Now if water was really, really flooding into the sump well, then it may just be a case of needing a bigger primary pump. Mine barely fits in the fucking hole...she's a beast. (keep it clean here guys ;) )

I haven't heard of the backup batteries that will run 12 hrs continuously. I will have to see if I can find one of those.

The system I'm referring to isn't a UPS (although I considered several), it's actually a small secondary pump with it's own battery and charger/control unit.

This is what I have:

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/basement_watchdog_emergency.htm

They offer larger ones also, but they obviously don't run quite as long on the same battery.

if the main system was being overwhelmed, check for low spots in your yard. The drainage pipe may have collapsed and is choking the system. Now if water was really, really flooding into the sump well, then it may just be a case of needing a bigger primary pump. Mine barely fits in the fucking hole...she's a beast. (keep it clean here guys ;) )

I think it was just such a sudden rush of water it was having a hard time keeping up. This is the first time the backup has needed to help out, and they both drain into the street which was completely flooded over the curb for the first time since I have lived here. Overall I think it will serve me well, but I'm sure if I had opted for the next bigger primary it would have been a non-issue. Fortunately between the two of them they kept the water from even getting 1/2 way up the sump wall.