Going to Vegas this weekend, what car to rent/where to see Hoover Dam

Nitrousbird

I have been to Vegas before, my wife hasn't. We booked a trip tonight for this weekend (last minute trips = good deals). Direct flights both ways, staying at Mandalay Bay for 3 nights, + 2 free tickets to Cirque De Sole for $490/each after taxes.

I really want to see the Hoover Dam (and Grand Canyon). We are leaving ass crack of damn Saturday, and flying back late Tuesday, so we have the time.

I'd like to rent a Ferrari 348, but the prices I've seen have been a bit much for a worn out Ferrari. I was thinking a Lotus Elise; I saw a day rental for one @ $250...seems reasonable enough to me.

Suggestions, info, etc. No interest in renting a Viper (Wease did it, as did our buddy Adam when they went together, and weren't impressed). No Vette either, as my best friend's Vette is far faster than anything I can rent, and I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel. No interest in a ghetto roller either.

Any info would be appreciated.

The only caution i have for you on renting a car and driving all the way to hoover or the canyon is that they have a 100 mile limit, then they start charging you per mile. Watch out.

Bingo. Any exotic you rent will have that cap on it.

Vespa Baby.

Wow, that is some crazy airfare. Pays to book in advance. We're going March 1st and for both of us, it was $325 (non-stop flights) and $210 for the stay at the Golden Nugget for 3 nights = $535.

Take a helicopter ride to Hoover. They have some "decent" deals online, but it's still going to be over $150 per person.

Edited by TimTaylor75

Wow, that is some crazy airfare. Pays to book in advance. We're going March 1st and for both of us, it was $325 (non-stop flights) and $210 for the stay at the Golden Nugget for 3 nights = $535.

Take a helicopter ride to Hoover. They have some "decent" deals online, but it's still going to be over $150 per person.

Leaving on Sunday, no Cirqe tickets, and Golden Nugget @ Fremont = if it wasn't cheaper than what we paid, you got ripped off!

Joe, you will not fit in a Lotus.

According to stuff I read online, I would. I'm only 6'3", 220lbs. Will be a PITA getting in/out, but can't be worse than cars with cages I've driven.

I found a place that rents it for 24 hours, delivers it to your hotel, for $230. 100 miles free. .50/mile after that. The dam is 32 miles from our hotel, round trip that leaves us 36 miles. And even going 50 miles over isn't a big deal, it's only $25.

I'm only 6'3", 220lbs. Will be a PITA getting in/out, but can't be worse than cars with cages I've driven.

since it's in vegas and a normal elise, you're correct that you'll be able to get in and out without the roof on....however I doubt it would be very enjoyable. I'd probably look for something a little bigger so that you can actually enjoy the trip.

since it's in vegas and a normal elise, you're correct that you'll be able to get in and out without the roof on....however I doubt it would be very enjoyable. I'd probably look for something a little bigger so that you can actually enjoy the trip.

I would have to agree with this comment. Although it is possible, in theory, for someone your height to drive an Elise with the top off, I don't think this would make for an enjoyable experience for you on a long drive. Consider also that there is virtually no storage in an Elise, it will likely be too cold for you and wife to be comfortable with the top off on the open road, and the trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon is not exactly prime curvy driving. For example, you'll be on highways to Boulder City, then the twisties to the Dam are mostly pretty slow because of the traffic. I just drove it a few weeks ago. Note in the photo that the twisties have a good deal of traffic, and it's mostly moving 25-35 mph. These are about the only twisties you'll have on the trip to Hoover.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/PICT0048.jpg

The Grand Canyon will have more opportunity for curves at select points, but the vast majority of your driving will be pretty straight unless you map out special trips.

If you want to test fit a new Lotus, contact me before you leave and come up to Delaware to sit in one to see if it will work for you.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/July%20cars/Lotusrightfront.jpg

If you find yourself spending more time having fun in the city and have less time to go driving, another consideration is heading west to Red Rock Canyon. I consider it a much more fun drive and so much more fun taking photos and climbing around. Only about 40 minutes from the Strip. Note the cars at the base of the mountains.... you can get out and climb on these rocks, although parts require scaling:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/RedRockRidge.jpg

Valley of Fire is also about 90 minutes from the strip and has some good driving and a very dramatic landscape.

I've done the Grand Canyon helicopter flight and it was great. I'd much rather fly the Canyon than drive it. Just my 2 cents' worth.

I bet you'll have a blast in Vegas regardless what you decide to rent. :D

My $535 figure was for both of us, not each.

The days of the week don't really matter to me too much. My g/f has never been there and we're going with a group of 10+, so that wasn't much of a factor when choosing our schedule.

For one thing, the Golden Nugget is one of the nicest spots off strip, period. Pool is the SHIT/service/game play and TANG is outstanding.

As for airfair- if you paid more than $300, your usually paying too much. Southwest flies there for $260 round trip most of the year as long as your 6 weeks advanced notice.

Also, if you don't mind a 2-3 hour drive depending on traiffic-you can visit literally THE BEST public road I have ever driven on, ever. 1000+ turns and a 3000ft+ and - elevation change in around 12 miles, and a FULL offroad site! Its my dirty little secret. And if you can find a bike to ride, you will ether have the ride of your life, or die! (sheer cliffs at times-no guard rail-angled 180 hairpins...ect.-PM me for details

My $535 figure was for both of us, not each.

The days of the week don't really matter to me too much. My g/f has never been there and we're going with a group of 10+, so that wasn't much of a factor when choosing our schedule.

I know it is for both of you. But you can't compare the rates of the Golden Nugget to Mandalay Bay. Plus the $200 in tickets we got also sweetens the deal.

As for the car, I already put a reservation in on an Elise online. I just watched a Top Gear of Jermey Clarkson driving one, and he is 6'5". I'm sure I will be fine.

i was looking for tickets last night. my brother in law flew out to vegas last night...i was gonna try and fly out today...couldnt get anything less than 800 rd trip(just for flight) on such short notice...fuck

and unfortunately golden nugget is worn out. nitrousbird is right, mandalay is not even comparable to it.

I know it is for both of you. But you can't compare the rates of the Golden Nugget to Mandalay Bay. Plus the $200 in tickets we got also sweetens the deal.

Why not? Because the GN isn't in the newest area of the strip? There was a $170 Million renovation in 2007 at the GN. Honestly, I'd rather spend $35 a night and stay at the Lady Luck, then overpay to be on the strip. You're only in your room to sleep anyways, so it doesn't matter to me too much.

Have a good trip though.

Why not? Because the GN isn't in the newest area of the strip? There was a $170 Million renovation in 2007 at the GN. Honestly, I'd rather spend $35 a night and stay at the Lady Luck, then overpay to be on the strip. You're only in your room to sleep anyways, so it doesn't matter to me too much.

Have a good trip though.

You aren't even on the strip. You are on Fremont street; of course it is cheaper there, because it is more desireable to be on the strip. I wouldn't stay at a place that wasn't on the strip (maybe Hard Rock, because it is so close). You are trying to compare your deal to mine, when you aren't staying at the strip. There is a BIG difference, and a good reason to pay more...I could have paid what you paid for a shitty place on the strip, but chose not to.

Joe the Grand Canyon is a day trip in itself its almost 300 or over from Vegas there so that would be 600 miles there and back plus time to tour. I recommend seeing it but it would take away some time in Vegas and you would lose a night in the hotel in Vegas and have to stay in a hotel out in the Canyon for that evening. You'd basically lose two days. I'm going out there for my 30th in July and taking my g/f with me and we are going to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon as well. I'm also going to be renting a sweet car but for driving to the canyon and back I'm renting some POS unless I score a deal.

Take a lot of pics its amazing out there!