1986 5.0 Electrical Issue

BlackC50

Well the time has come and I am FINALLY going to start digging into getting my car back in running order. The only thing that is really keeping it from "running" right now is the fact the car will not hold a charge what so ever. Anyone have any tips of where I could start to look on trying to find what could possibly be draining my battery. The alternator has been replaced, so has the starter and starter solenoid. Please any info, suggestions, or tips are more than appreciated.

Guest Removed

a ground is not going to cause a draw.

so keep that stupid shit out of here.

battery in good shape?

sounds like a draw IMO

now you need to find out how much of a draw. using a old school test light, unhook either battery cable and hook the test light between them. good size draw, the light will light up bright. now go start unhooking things you think it might be. easy thing to do here is to start pulling fuse's till the light goes out. then once you find the fuse, i can look it up and see what all is on the circuit and go from there.

do you have a volt meter? is so, get it running and see what the voltage is at the battery. should be 13.2 volts or higher.

do you have battery voltage at the alternator?

please explain your issue a little better so i can narrow it down

a ground is not going to cause a draw.

so keep that stupid shit out of here.

now you need to find out how much of a draw. using a old school test light, unhook either battery cable and hook the test light between them. good size draw, the light will light up bright. now go start unhooking things you think it might be. easy thing to do here is to start pulling fuse's till the light goes out. then once you find the fuse, i can look it up and see what all is on the circuit and go from there.

i didnt see him say it was drawing power when off... he said its not charging to keep running

my bad... i had a 90 for 4 years.. redid most of the stuff, with similar problems

Guest Removed
The only thing that is really keeping it from "running" right now is the fact the car will not hold a charge what so ever

i didnt see him say it was drawing power when off... he said its not charging to keep running :confused:

right in the first post.

im starting to wonder if the car is charging, but i dont know if he has a junk battery, or whats going on just yet. but im going off what his posts say.

im starting to wonder if the car is charging, but i dont know if he has a junk battery, or whats going on just yet. but im going off what his posts say.

thats what i asked him in the post you deleted :confused: not going to junk up his thread anymore.. sorry FastBlackStang

The battery was brand new. I had it run for probably a couple of days. Then went out to start it and it was dead. I can hook it up to a jump box or my truck and it will crank over and fire on the first try. Will run fine, as soon as I turn it off and try to turn it back on it won't crank or anything.

Guest Removed
The battery was brand new. I had it run for probably a couple of days. Then went out to start it and it was dead. I can hook it up to a jump box or my truck and it will crank over and fire on the first try. Will run fine, as soon as I turn it off and try to turn it back on it won't crank or anything.

as soon as you shut it off. check the charging system first. sounds like it not charging. check that easy if you have a volt meter, or autozone close to you.

if it not turning over right after you shut it off, that would be the first thing i check.

Guest Removed
I was gonna say the same thing the factory alternator plug is shitty on these cars

but being a 86, i dont think it has the later model harness that the efi cars had. my 85 had a regulator on the fender well just like all the older ones with 3 small wires and 1 big one.