Rented a Lotus Elise on Monday - My Impressions

Nitrousbird

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1287

I was out in Vegas with my wife Janet, and we wanted see Hoover Dam. Figured I might as well rent something fun while I was out there. Sadly, it was delivered @ noon on Monday...and it rained all day. Did get to take it out for a short while on Tuesday before turning it in.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1288

Interior:

- CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. It makes my 15 year old F-body interior with 3x the mileage feel like a Lexus. The dash was made of a variety of textured plastics, with all the quality you'd expect in a Geo Metro. The gauge cluster plastics were super flimsy, and fit poorly. The side sill plastics were hard unattractive. Even the floor mats were cheap. You'd think the unfinished parts on the car, metal floors and such, would be the cheapest parts, but they were honestly the nicest.

- Center Console - if you can call it that. It looks like metal. It is not. It sure flexes like it is not.

- Car is a rattle trap. Vegas has the raised reflectors on the highway, and I swear it sounded like the car was going to fall apart changing lanes.

- Radio was some cheapy Blaupunkt with a couple Infinity speakers just slapped onto the dash, in the same way you would slap some speakers in an 87 Civic you don't give two shits about.

- Rear-view mirror was about twice the size it needed to be. You could see everything behind you, the roof trim, the rear trim, and both the driver and passenger's heads. Because of this, it just helps obstruct more useful views out the windshield.

- I have never been in a car so hard to get into. My Formula has a 6-point rollbar, and is WAY easier. I've driven cars with full cages, and still easier. I understand I'm 6'3", 215lbs, but my small 5'2" wife had a lot of problems. The wide door sills were the main problem, but the clearance was so bad I literally had to physically pull my right leg into the car.

- Foot well room was cramped, and canted inward. Needed about another 1" between the center divider and the brake pedal; with the shoes I wore on Monday, I could only use the bottom of the gas pedal, as my shoe was too wide to hit the gas anywhere else without hitting the brakes. Of course leg room was limited, but still fully driveable. My right leg did rest against the shifter.

- Seats were hard, and could have easily been a bit more padded, but otherwise comfortable. Head room was fine.

- Factory security system was a PITA. Just because you unlocked it, doesn't mean it decided to disarm, so when you pushed the start button (I liked that), it didn't do anything. LAME.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1295

Exterior:

The car just looks good. I love the styling, and it got a lot of looks. Ground clearance was good for a car of this class. The side mirrors did not adjust very well, though. It was harder to judge the front end...more so then you would imagine (everything looked closer than it was). B-pillars caused a bit of a blind spot on the driver's side. The soft top leaked (nice) on the driver's side, but was a simple and clever design otherwise.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1292

Braking and Handling:

Sadly, the best part of the car I couldn't evaluate well. The car handles like shit in the rain, I can tell you that much. Brakes wise, I never hammered into them, but I can say the pedal feel was good, and not too touchy. Steering was crisp and unassisted...I loved the feeling of it. It did track the pavement more than I would have expected for the size of tires up front. Handling was a bit of understeer on a couple of on-ramps I took, but generally netural. I'm sure the worn fronts and lower performance rear replacement tires didn't nothing for the handling. Had I more time/mileage with the car, I would have romped around Red Rock, where most of the pictures were taken. BEAUTIFUL area.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1290

Drivetrain:

Loud and slower than expected. The car was hard to gauge how fast you were going; usually felt faster than you were. Acceleration felt on par, at best, with a stock LT1 F-body, and that's when it was ran HARD. It had nothing to offer under 4k, and really nothing to talk about until Toyota's version of VTEC kicked in...and I use the term kick loosley. They put these motors in Celicas...I can only imagine how much of a dog a Celica is, lol. It was loud without sounding ricey, but honestly didn't need to be that loud...it's not like a Japanese 4-banger makes a pleasant noise. 6-speed tranny shifted decently, but would benefit from an aftermarket shifter.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1291

Would I own one? Overall...no. The getting in/out part sucked, but I can deal with that. The cost of the car vs. the general build of it, I just couldn't justify it. The first US ones (05's) go for 25-30k used. Maybe at 15k for an 05, but that's about it. The interior is way to cheap to ignore (and the outside build quality wasn't stellar either), and needs some significant power upgrades to match the rest of the car for it to be truely a well rounded, modern sports car. If this was a 35k car new, it would be a far price for what you get. But a price starting in the upper 40's...no way, too much $$ for too little in return.

Too bad you didn't enjoy it. I got to go on a long test drive in Doc's Lotus, while it is hard to get in and out of, I just loved the handling of the car. It's not really fast until you push it throught the twisties. I'd own one, but I wouldn't give up my Camaro to get it either as I'm more of a muscle car guy. Although for the "sports car" purist it would have to be right up there.

It was built to be light and for handling, what did you expect? I took Doc's out earlier this year on some back roads that were curvey and I could not be more impressed with the car. It was impossible to break the rear loose on corners, it sticks to the road, but that's just my 2 cents. I'd get one.

I seriously suggest picking up a used Toyota MR-s if you want something Lotus like. My best friend had one (until this bitch hit him and totaled it). All the problems you mentioned in the lotus just were not a problem in the MR-s. He swapped the mr-s motor (140hp found in regular Celica) for the Celica GT-s motor (180hp found in Lotus) along with the tranny, custom exhaust, and a standalone, was able to put on par with the lotus performance wise. Even my bigass sat comfortably in both the driver and passenger side. Getting in and out was not a problem, either. THe thing was a blast to freakin drive. With the standalone (I cant remember what he used) he was aslo able to have the vvtli kick in much sooner. Oh, and his rev limit was raised, too. The guy who did the swap and the all the work is reknowned in the lotus/mr-s community and drive a street legal and driven, swapped mr-s with a turbo making well north of 700hp. :eek:

I didn't miss the point in the car at all. I miss the point of paying nearly 50k for the car. There is no excuse for the interior on that car. Light does not mean it has to be junk. I fully get the purpose of the car, but it could be better built, a hair more comfortable, less expensive, and still perform the same way it does now.

Power wise, I'm sure the SC version is far better to drive. But that doesn't correct the other issues.

Your evaluation is so biased towards comfort its ridiculous. That car is made to be a big go kart. Those cars will run nose to nose through the 1/4 with the C5 Z06's... Car and Driver proved that when they put it up against the Cobra R in its $55k challenge. to say its on par with a LT1 is blasphemy. Its not designed to be easy to get in and out of... its not designed to ride like a 70's Cadillac... and its surely not designed to be quiet and comfortable... its designed to blast around a track or up a mountain road faster than just about anything short of bike. If you wanted to cruise around in the desert then you should have saved some money and rented a fuckin mustang... thats about the only thing they DO well...strait lines.

Your evaluation is so biased towards comfort its ridiculous. That car is made to be a big go kart. Those cars will run nose to nose through the 1/4 with the C5 Z06's... Car and Driver proved that when they put it up against the Cobra R in its $55k challenge. to say its on par with a LT1 is blasphemy. Its not designed to be easy to get in and out of... its not designed to ride like a 70's Cadillac... and its surely not designed to be quiet and comfortable... its designed to blast around a track or up a mountain road faster than just about anything short of bike. If you wanted to cruise around in the desert then you should have saved some money and rented a fuckin mustang... thats about the only thing they DO well...strait lines.

Bah, he should have just rented a vette. Then he could have been all happy with an LSX.

ahh, c'mon, can't be that bad. someone around here drives one daily! besides, if you drove a geo tracker daily, i doubt you would notice the difference between the 2 when it comes to creature comforts, lol. hey, mah tracker even weighs about the same as the elise!!!

sport compact car built up a toyota MR-s to run with a lotus elise, and, although it could lay down better numbers, they said it was absoloutley scary to drive and not enjoyable at all while the elise was the complete opposite.

I think you missed the entire point of the car.

You are FAR from the target audience.

+1 Toyota's are rev happy, they like to be up in the 4000-9000 range depending on the motor and they can stay there all day and be reliable. I bet if you drove one with a TRD supercharger, or a K20 swap your impressions would be a little different. Plus the interior is supposed to be like that it's a track car, it's not for everyone OMG! there is a car that is biased towards peoples taste.

I personally have never driven one, I would love to sometime along with the Toyota MR-S that Christian was talking about. I feel most at home in a gutted car with no exhaust, hard suspension, and five point harnesses. Hence why my daily driver has 5 point harnesses, not only for autocross, but because I find them comfortable.

I'd have no debate over rocking one as a[nother] weekend car, with the track or AutoX being its main home. Having driven a '00 Celica GT-S many times (father's DD), I can attest to the motor being rev happy. I think it would be a great time in that little featherweight. I agree with everyone else though - it's made to be a track car that's livable on the street, no vice versa.

You are on freaking CRACK. Checking online, they run trap speeds similar to a stock LT1. They don't have a prayer in hell keeping up with a Z06 in a straight line...PERIOD.

Look, I could have rented a Viper. Or a Boxter. Or a Vette. Or a number of other cars. I wanted to try out the Lotus.

The car was a bitch to get into and out of...how the hell does that make it a better track car? But I can easily dismiss that. I knew the ride would be stiff, and have no problem with that. I figured it would track uneven pavement a bit.

But why in the hell does everyone excuse the interior on this 50k car? I knew it would be Spartan, as it should...but why does it have to be so cheap? Why does the car have to be a rattle trap? Excusable at a lesser degree, or at a lower price, but not at this price point.

Why does the dash have to have 2 speakers just slapped in, instead of intergrating them into the dash? Why does the rearview mirror have to be 1/4 the side of the windshield...that sure doesn't make the car lighter.

Yes, the car handles well, and is a "go kart for the street." But that's a lot of money to make that many excuses for a car.

That said, for the right money, I would own one. But since I doubt that right money will ever come, I'd have to consider something else.

youd think theyd clean the damn thing...

It was clean when I got it. A lot of rain driving.

probably because its the hands down cheapest completely carbon fiber car you can buy. the entire body is carbon fiber and the chassis is a bonded aluminum and carbon fiber, your not gonna get the car to cost any cheaper than that(unless you want to sell for a loss). anyone who wants one or owns one isn't making excuses, they dont have to justify why the want or have the car. dont want it? dont like the price? dont buy it.

LOL, this is about the worst review possible. It would be like me going out to rent a Bentley limo, then getting upset that it didn't perform well on a road course. And to complain about getting in and out as a design flaw? It's a SMALL CAR! There's no way around that. No gimmicks or hiding anything; it's a purpose-built nimble car, built to please your driving senses, not your comfort and luxuries.

THIS is the point of an Elise:

probably because its the hands down cheapest completely carbon fiber car you can buy. the entire body is carbon fiber and the chassis is a bonded aluminum and carbon fiber, your not gonna get the car to cost any cheaper than that(unless you want to sell for a loss). anyone who wants one or owns one isn't making excuses, they dont have to justify why the want or have the car. dont want it? dont like the price? dont buy it.

It's fiberglass, NOT carbon fiber.