Protege vs Sonoma

Twistedrx7

Well, right now i have my 99 protege with 180,000 on the clock and running fine. I am thinking of getting rid of it and picking up a 99 Sonoma as my daily instead. It is a 4.3l V6 automatic and 202,000 miles.

It looks like it can haul 5000lbs at the most, so i would assume i could use it haul the Rx7 where i needed to.

anyone know of some downsides to the truck at all? so far i havent really come across anything. As i do not know very much about the vehicle.

Jake

Guest Removed

4.3 is bad about.. intake gasket leaking coolant, pricey tune up parts, injector failures, fuel pump failures, and i sure wouldn't haul 5000lbs with one, axle seals and axle bearings just cant take it!

never tow anything with a s-10, unless it a wheel dolly deal. and even then i wouldnt do it

Guest Removed
His car only weighs 2850-2900 lbs

plus a 1500-2000 lbs trailer? just because it says it will haul 5000 lbs, doesnt mean it will do it very well!

tongue weigh is a big factor too!

standard towing rating is 3500

max is 5500

and that for the v-6 sls trim 4wd model..it was the highest one!

Edited by Removed

I have a 97 gmc highrider (zr2 package) with the 4.3 in it and tow my camper which weighs 3k pounds. I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier than that...it doesn't really even tow that very well. The truck is just to light and the brakes leave something to be desired so unless you have a trailer with brakes I wouldn't even consider something that heavy. The intake gaskets on just about all those 4.3's leak at some point. Not a bad job to do really, just time consuming. The spider unit's leak on a fair amount of them. GM fuel pump...nuf said. I would pass on it. I have 120k on mine and it serves it's purpose. Not a bad truck....just has it's little quirks. Edited by xlr8tn

...and that maintenance will cost you dearly.

Just keep oil in it and be able to tell when to change the intake gasket and you're set. They are durable as fuck and thats a pretty well known declaration. I dunno what you guys are thinking...

Guest Removed
Just keep oil in it and be able to tell when to change the intake gasket and you're set. They are durable as fuck and thats a pretty well known declaration. I dunno what you guys are thinking...

put 100,000 miles on one while towing 3500 lbs a day with it then get back to me on durability .

Well if used for hauling maybe not, I understand that. But I'm sure it's more reliable than a Protege

No way. He either has a 1.8l or 2.0l (practically the same engine) that are derived from the Miata engines. Stock those things will go 200k w/ no serious problems.

I am thinking that I have worked in auto parts for 4 years now, and I get more calls daily on 4.3s than ANY other setup(no joke). It's never just intake gaskets and tune-ups, but rather anything imaginable to go wrong with them. S10 Blazers are the worst by far.

I am thinking that I have worked in auto parts for 4 years now, and I get more calls daily on 4.3s than ANY other setup(no joke). It's never just intake gaskets and tune-ups, but rather anything imaginable to go wrong with them. S10 Blazers are the worst by far.

Maybe because they are very common and theres a million of them out on the roads?

Its a 350 minus 2 cylinders. Friend of mine has 277k miles on his original never rebuilt 4.3 in his S10. My old '91 has 190k, untouched motor and trans never had any work done, original clutch even, sold it to my brother and it still runs like new. Body rust is another story lol

OK. You have both changed my mind. Thanks.

lol I'm not trying to get into a pissing match and be like "so and so has this with x miles and its badazz and indestructiblezz!!!!!!" I'm just sharing my opinion and I'm not used to hearing bad things about that motor.

And I do agree that the older (TBI) ones are probably better. I don't have much first-hand experience/knowledge with the Vortecs

It is actually a 1.6l engine pretty much the same setup as a honda. I have no idea on what has been done as far as maintance on the truck at all. The protege on the other hand was taken to a dealer at every service interval, all the receipts were in the car. I could do a compression check on the truck and see what is going on inside of it.

It is actually a 1.6l engine pretty much the same setup as a honda. I have no idea on what has been done as far as maintance on the truck at all. The protege on the other hand was taken to a dealer at every service interval, all the receipts were in the car. I could do a compression check on the truck and see what is going on inside of it.

just do yourself a favor and don't get it save for a fullsize truck

in defense of the good ole 4.3 trucks....mine has been put through hell for 11 years and still runs great. I just wouldn't recommend one to tow 5k lb trailers with. It's just not big enough for that. As far as the other stuff I don't think there's a vehicle made that doesn't have it's faults...they all do. My truck has 120k really hard miles on it and it's been a good truck.