LSX help

pontiacfreak142

Well as some of you may know, i picked up that 4.8L from scott and plan to build it up for the firebird. I have no idea where to start though. ive been looking at the new comp LS-R cams, but i have no idea what heads or anything else to go with. Id like to see 10's out of this build if possible.

The only thing im sure of so far is that the block is getting bored .030. What are some good things to go with that could possibly get me close to my goal. I saw in another thread some one recommended the texas speed 5.3L stage 2.5 heads for good power, but is there anything better? Also are their any stroker kits?

Make sure you get them in a package or at least have the heads and cam matched. The LS1 really comes alive when you match the correct heads to the correct cam. A good tuner can make a very nasty cam "streetable" but I advise at least checking out a few local cars before you decide. If you plan to drive it much on the street cam selection will be very important.

Streetable does not matter with this car, its going to be mostly a track car anyway, so i want it to be as nasty as possible. How can you tell if the heads/ cam will work well together?

Go with a ms3 or g5x-3 cam, IPS stage 2 or 3 heads and if I remember you have an auto, good convertor and it will go 10's. Maybe alil spray.

i was honestly looking at that cam lol. Do you think the guys at IPS could get me a set of heads that would go well with it?

Yes, talk to Brandon there and he will get you a set of their heads. I am going to eventually purchase that cam and hopefully make 500whp na with a FAST. The Stage 2 heads will net you about 25-30whp, not sure about the others but the Stage 2's are the most cost effective.

If you want to make power with that engine, .100 over is what you need and a 3.622 stroke crank (4 inch if you've got the money). No that's not a typo these small iron block can take it so you can use LS1 pistons. There are a number of rowdy cams out there but if you are going carbed backing off a little would make things alot easier. Patriot heads and TSP heads are by far the best bang for the buck, with most aftermarket heads being awesome and each having their own strongpoints.

Remeber how stripped down your car is and know that it isn't going to take more than 500 rwhp to run 10s with some good 60'. Don't get carried away because a carb isn't very forgiving to the big cams, might be better suited to run a plate kit under it with a medium cam to make it somewhat streetable. You can't tell me you won't want to drive it around. Now if you change your mind and go fuel injected go ahead and over cam it.

• Downvote 1

If you want to make power with that engine, .100 over is what you need and a 3.622 stroke crank (4 inch if you've got the money). No that's not a typo these small iron block can take it so you can use LS1 pistons. There are a number of rowdy cams out there but if you are going carbed backing off a little would make things alot easier. Patriot heads and TSP heads are by far the best bang for the buck, with most aftermarket heads being awesome and each having their own strongpoints.

Remeber how stripped down your car is and know that it isn't going to take more than 500 rwhp to run 10s with some good 60'. Don't get carried away because a carb isn't very forgiving to the big cams, might be better suited to run a plate kit under it with a medium cam to make it somewhat streetable. You can't tell me you won't want to drive it around. Now if you change your mind and go fuel injected go ahead and over cam it.

you can seriously bores these that big? money is no big deal for this build, it might take a little longer though. So i think im gonna go with some IPS heads though.

Yea, i do want to drive it around a little, but ill sacrifice streetability for more power. Hell it cant be much worse to drive than my dads mustang.

carbs do not fear large cams only the people not knowing how to adjust them properly fear them

• Downvote 1

Guest tbutera2112
if money isnt a big deal for this build, wouldnt it have been easier to just start off with an ls1? instead of boring and stroking the shit out of that one just to make it a 350?

if money isnt a big deal for this build, wouldnt it have been easier to just start off with an ls1? instead of boring and stroking the shit out of that one just to make it a 350?

Thats what I was thinking. Get a junk yard 6 litre block and a stock crank. Have IPS spec you a nice (read, this is were as much as you can afford comes into play) heads, cam, intake, header, exhaust package. You want something from the throttle body to the muffler that is designed to work together. Throw that 4.8 block away unless you want a turbo setup, then leave it stock bore and boost the shit out of it.

because trying to actually find an LS1 for as cheap as i did this, isnt gonna happen. i might have 700ish invested in the block after i get it bored and i dont think i could find an LS1 that cheap.

you can seriously bores these that big? money is no big deal for this build, it might take a little longer though. So i think im gonna go with some IPS heads though.

I have Stage 2's in stock right now but it sounds like the 3 or 3R will be better suited. I can typically have them done in like 2 or 3 days tops.

Give Brandon a call and he will take care of you :)

Jeff

Guest tbutera2112
because trying to actually find an LS1 for as cheap as i did this, isnt gonna happen. i might have 700ish invested in the block after i get it bored and i dont think i could find an LS1 that cheap.

ok add in a stroker kit and then everything else...bearings, rings, seals, gaskets.... i just went through this, trust me it all adds up

Guest tbutera2112
but id still do the same to the LS1, so technically im ahead money wise.

buy ls1, drop in car, run till it breaks? no need to rebuild it if its an assembled longblock with nothing wrong with it....either way goodluck on it man, anything you do is gonna be better than that vsux lol

You saying you will have 700$ invested in a finished short block?