CA introduces marijuana legalization bill

Flyin Miata

I dont mind trying to trump federal law, but this bill would be stupid. It said it would legalize growth, transportation and selling of marijuana...but it would be tax evasion if you did.

Plus I read somewhere 15,500 metric tons of marijuana come in from mexico...I guarantee mexican pot would be cheaper and would be tax free, so why would californians buy taxed american pot?

Mexican pot is over handled brick stuff. If it becomes legal, prices will drop and people won't mind spending the extra money on quality "Medicinal Grade" product.

I know if they do make it legal, I will go no where because I hate of the smell of the stuff when people smoke it. And you can smell it on them for days.

Are you talking about tobacco or weed? The smells are very noticeable indeed but tobacco is a worse aroma. And tobacco is what lingers for days. Ever see nicotine stains on walls or when washing windows in a car? Nasty stuff. I can smell someone smoking a cig in their car with rolled down windows when I am in my car with rolled up windows. Makes me want to puke all over them.

Many cities in CA have legalized it, Prop 215, Medical. You can join any of like 50 clinics in the bay area. It legalized the sale and growth of weed in small quantities. You have to have a medical marijuana patient card. It costs $175 consultation with a doctor the clinic suggests. Then you get the card, and can go to the clinics. The feds don't do anything about it because the city cops don't see it as a federal crime so they don't arrest anyone.

Here is the list for just San Fran.

http://www.sanfranciscocannabisclubs.com/directory/

The guy proposing the state-wide legalization said that the states largest agricultural crop isn't regulated or taxed. I found that to be funny.

This is every true my friend who is a school teacher in california smokes, he was in a car were a guy had medical weed and had the card and the cop just let them go, he said it still felt illegal even tho by law its not. He stated its really easy to get the card if your a local and know the right doctors. But still its limited.

Many cities in CA have legalized it, Prop 215, Medical. You can join any of like 50 clinics in the bay area. It legalized the sale and growth of weed in small quantities. You have to have a medical marijuana patient card. It costs $175 consultation with a doctor the clinic suggests. Then you get the card, and can go to the clinics. The feds don't do anything about it because the city cops don't see it as a federal crime so they don't arrest anyone.

Here is the list for just San Fran.

http://www.sanfranciscocannabisclubs.com/directory/

The guy proposing the state-wide legalization said that the states largest agricultural crop isn't regulated or taxed. I found that to be funny.

And yet even with the card if a federal officer gets involved you can still be charged. Even the clinics have been raided.

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=5654

I guess you missed it when obama said once his DEA guy is in place the federal govt will not challenge any state law.

“The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind," White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

Bush made the same promises.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/pressroom/pressrelease/pr020409.cfm

As of February 5th the DEA was still raiding dispensaries. Local governments are also cracking down against the sale of Marijuana even in medical form. I do not see a way around this. If there are dry counties I would assume that there could be smokeless counties. I do not see how they could prevent the possession though. I can live or be in a dry county and leave the county to purchase alcohol and return to the dry county so I would assume it would be similar with weed.

You guys keep saying, you don't care if they make it legal. As I posted before, it already IS LEGAL out there.

Sure, but the point of the bill is to make it legal for every citizen of the state, not just those who go through the trouble of getting a card to use the medicinal dispensaries. And more to the point, just the introduction and consideration of this bill alone gives me a little hope that in the next 20 years it will be fully legal in more places than California.

Sure' date=' but the point of the bill is to make it legal for every citizen of the state, not just those who go through the trouble of getting a card to use the medicinal dispensaries. And more to the point, just the introduction and consideration of this bill alone gives me a little hope that in the next 20 years it will be fully legal in more places than California.[/quote']

Yeah I honestly do not support the medical cards. I feel a large percentage of people lie to get a card. They should just do what this bill wants and make it legal for anyone in the state. No medical cards no doctor visits. Should be just like any other drug, go to CVS or Walgreens and buy it.

The average amount of tax on a pack of cigarettes is 39 cents. If a tax was applied to the purchase of marijuana what kind of money could the government generate?

The same as from tobacco if not more. More people then you know would smoke it if it was legal. Legal as in no medical cards. Apply this to every state in the USA = HUGE TAX INCOME

Yeah I honestly do not support the medical cards. I feel a large percentage of people lie to get a card. They should just do what this bill wants and make it legal for anyone in the state. No medical cards no doctor visits. Should be just like any other drug, go to CVS or Walgreens and buy it.

For $175 you can get one for insomnia, anxiety, you name it.