Obama after the Assualt Weapons Ban Already.

flounder1647545522

What I want to know is why you or I would NEED (not want) to own an AR-15 or an AK-47. I want a real, justifible answer to why someone would own a gun of that magnitude when a handgun will suffice.

The AR platform is customizable in countless ways, and can be built to perform one specific purpose very well. For example, and AR with a 24" barrel and decent scope can be an ideal coyote or varmint rifle. Accurate, low recoil, and readily available follow-up shots. A handgun will not suffice.

Its a hobby like anything else, much the same you put wheels on your car you can customize your rifle. The manufacturers whom make parts for the AR/M-16 are plentiful, offering a variety of personalization you can add to the rifle.

Then there is the "what-if" conspiracy theorist extreme survivalist type. If mayhem is unleashed and you need to defend the life yourself and your family and protect your food and belongings a handgun will not suffice. This could be of a civil magnitude, or an invasion from another country where militia is needed.

Once could also argue the civilian market generates revenue to fund R&D of better equipment used in the military.

The second amendment helps prevent corruption and maintains semi-honest government.

Do I personally feel I NEED to own one? Not really.

Do I have the RIGHT and WANT to own one? Absolutely.

Do some people NEED a so-called "assault rifle?" Probably.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but if you have to preface something with saying "this may sound ignorant".........I'll leave that alone.

Look, I'm not saying ban guns or particular guns, I'm no expert on assault weapons or guns and don't need to be nor care to be. What I am saying is that these more advanced guns do not belong in the hands of just anyone. The weak, ignorant, poor, uneducated, irresponsible do not "need" these guns and I think we'll all agree, the complete opposite of them aren't necessarily the ones our public officials are concerned with.

These guns are getting into the hands of the wrong people by some means and that's not typically a responsible, educated person who is simply using it to hunt or participate in sports. Or maybe it is and they are simply skirting the laws or perhaps working within the guidelines of them as they stand today. I don't know. But something is going on that needs to stop in order to save lives and keep these guns from falling into the wrong hands. Change is needed.

That said, I agree with the previous quotes that it's the behavior of the people that is under scrutiny and yet the powers that be are going after the hardware. That's because it's easier to stop a static object in distribution vs changing behavior of the people.

Now, if the responsible gun owners have concerns with what's happening, let's here what they suggest. I asked this on page one and have yet to hear anything other than CR's constitutional experts spout off about what they have the right to do. Instead, let's hear your solutions to the problem that all this is stemming from.

You're 100% correct. I mean really, why do inbred hicks need "assault weapons"? Jesus, you can kill just as many things with a simple Wal-Mart Savage Arms rifle chambered in .308 or 8mm. Come on guys, use your heads, .223 assault rifles are bad mmmkay. Only people who are NRA qual'd instructors should be able to harness the awesome power of the assault rifle.

I could kill just as many people with a shotgun, Remington 700, pistol, etc... as I could with an AR15. Stop posting ignorant things.

I suggest we follow the constitution and allow weapons to those can can afford them. Obviously this would not include felons or the mentally handicapped.

Look, I'm not saying ban guns or particular guns, I'm no expert on assault weapons or guns and don't need to be nor care to be. What I am saying is that these more advanced guns do not belong in the hands of just anyone. The weak, ignorant, poor, uneducated, irresponsible do not "need" these guns and I think we'll all agree, the complete opposite of them aren't necessarily the ones our public officials are concerned with.

I'm definitely more open to the suggestion of putting better background checks into place, or more strict rules more than just all together banning these sorts of weapons. It's hard to deny they end up in undeserving hands sometimes. That said, my opinion barely matters on capitol hill.

I'm definitely more open to the suggestion of putting better background checks into place, or more strict rules more than just all together banning these sorts of weapons. It's hard to deny they end up in undeserving hands sometimes. That said, my opinion barely matters on capitol hill.

Strict rules infringe upon our rights.

How many gun crimes were committed using a legally purchased "high powered" rifle? I can think of only one off the top of my head, if that was even legally acquired.

How many gun crimes were committed using a legally purchased "high powered" rifle? I can think of only one off the top of my head, if that was even legally acquired.

Agreed but I'm willing to bend a little bit if the proposed regulations still make it possible for the worthy people to obtain the firearms and it drastically reduces the amount which end up in the wrong hands.

If you're thinking of VA Tech, I believe they skipped the background check, not positive.

I'm sorry but if you have to preface something with saying "this may sound ignorant".........I'll leave that alone.

These guns are getting into the hands of the wrong people by some means and that's not typically a responsible, educated person who is simply using it to hunt or participate in sports. Or maybe it is and they are simply skirting the laws or perhaps working within the guidelines of them as they stand today. I don't know. But something is going on that needs to stop in order to save lives and keep these guns from falling into the wrong hands. Change is needed.

That said, I agree with the previous quotes that it's the behavior of the people that is under scrutiny and yet the powers that be are going after the hardware. That's because it's easier to stop a static object in distribution vs changing behavior of the people.

Now, if the responsible gun owners have concerns with what's happening, let's here what they suggest. I asked this on page one and have yet to hear anything other than CR's constitutional experts spout off about what they have the right to do. Instead, let's hear your solutions to the problem that all this is stemming from.

Look, I said it may sound ignorant but, that doesnt mean that it is. A weapon is a weapon. A more "advanced" weapon will kill just as well as any other weapon. I think that most gun crimes that I have heard of were performed with pistols more often than any other type of gun I can think of.

Now here's the solution that you are asking for, do not ban any weapons. Allow people to own whatever they want. Wow, that was easy. Now here is where the real problem is, how can regular people like us ever stop this from happening? We cant, the politicians will vote however they think will make them look better. You can try to contact your local representatives but, you know as well as I do that nothing will come from it. So new plan, buy all the guns you have ever wanted while you still can.

And the there is no better explanation for why people would "need" assault weapons than because they WANT to. Whats so hard to understand about that. I dont understand why thats not a good valid explanation for the situation. And if shit ever hits the fan and we do have to defend ourselves from the government, everybody in this thread will rise to the occasion and will be prepared to do so except for you and that fiji fella.

Agreed but I'm willing to bend a little bit if the proposed regulations still make it possible for the worthy people to obtain the firearms and it drastically reduces the amount which end up in the wrong hands.

If you're thinking of VA Tech, I believe they skipped the background check, not positive.

He used pistols in 9mm and .22. I'm thinking of a different high profile incident.

Only people who are NRA qual'd instructors should be able to harness the awesome power of the assault rifle.

Yes, only people who meet specific qualifications should use certain guns. I wouldn't put my wife behind the wheel of a semi nor would I consider myself having a good reason to own/use an AK. Given proper training and meeting of qualifications and sure, both could be a go. Just anyone though.....not a smart move.

You're 100% correct. I mean really, why do inbred hicks need "assault weapons"? Jesus, you can kill just as many things with a simple Wal-Mart Savage Arms rifle chambered in .308 or 8mm. Come on guys, use your heads, .223 assault rifles are bad mmmkay. I could kill just as many people with a shotgun, Remington 700, pistol, etc... as I could with an AR15. Stop posting ignorant things.

Congrats to you for your skills and abilities. However, if what you say is true then there's no advantage or real reason for anyone to have an AR15 or whatever in terms of self protection should the world come to an end or the gov't come in and take over Worthington. So the whole right to fend off our own military in some hypothetical implosion of our society is a non-issue.

Now if someone meets specific qualification that are in place and truly use it for hunting or sport, then I vote okay. Go get trained and pass the certifications and graduate from a typical firearm to a more specific one for those uses. However, just to have one in the house because they feel it's a right to own any type of firearm....I vote no. Not a wise move as then you and everyone who wishes will want one and not everyone will be responsible and there is too much of a risk for the guns to get sold, stolen or end up in the wrong hands. Hence the situation we're in.

The current system that's been in place hasn't evolved with everything else around it that has changed in the past 208 years, thus now it's time to fix things. Again, share your thoughts on how to fix it.

So then perhaps the high powered rifles and all the other guns that never get reported, yet are in circulation :rolleyes: should stay and it's the handguns and other weapons should be what they go after.

So then perhaps the high powered rifles and all the other guns that never get reported, yet are in circulation :rolleyes: should stay and it's the handguns and other weapons should be what they go after.

Are you seriously that fucking stupid? I'm not sure why I'm even recognizing the things you say.

Yes, only people who meet specific qualifications should use certain guns. I wouldn't put my wife behind the wheel of a semi nor would I consider myself having a good reason to own/use an AK. Given proper training and meeting of qualifications and sure, both could be a go. Just anyone though.....not a smart move.

Congrats to you for your skills and abilities. However, if what you say is true then there's no advantage or real reason for anyone to have an AR15 or whatever in terms of self protection should the world come to an end or the gov't come in and take over Worthington. So the whole right to fend off our own military in some hypothetical implosion of our society is a non-issue.

Now if someone meets specific qualification that are in place and truly use it for hunting or sport, then I vote okay. Go get trained and pass the certifications and graduate from a typical firearm to a more specific one for those uses. However, just to have one in the house because they feel it's a right to own any type of firearm....I vote no. Not a wise move as then you and everyone who wishes will want one and not everyone will be responsible and there is too much of a risk for the guns to get sold, stolen or end up in the wrong hands. Hence the situation we're in.

The current system that's been in place hasn't evolved with everything else around it that has changed in the past 208 years, thus now it's time to fix things. Again, share your thoughts on how to fix it.

There is no need to evolve anything. There is nothing to fix. We have been and always will be a gun toting nation, and thats how it should stay.

I take it you're not too good with history are you? Maybe you're just too dumb to even realize the irony of your first paragraph there. The AK-47 was designed for a conscript army. I'm going to let you use dictionary.com to figure out what that means.

The rest of your argument is again, retarded. Yes, weapons have evolved, I guess our founders were too dumb to have thought that weapons might evolve.

There is no need to evolve anything. There is nothing to fix. We have been and always will be a gun toting nation, and thats how it should stay.

Shut the fuck up, I'm sick of us agreeing.

Also think about this. Its easier to conceal and infiltrate an area armed with a handgun than an "assault" rifle. I could buy a 33 round mag for a glock which is more than what a standard AR or AK magazine holds. I think the biggest issue with your logic is that there is no real threat level difference between "assault" weapons and standard weapons.

Look, I said it may sound ignorant but, that doesnt mean that it is. A weapon is a weapon. A more "advanced" weapon will kill just as well as any other weapon. I think that most gun crimes that I have heard of were performed with pistols more often than any other type of gun I can think of.

I don't think the 22yr old punk with a 9mm popping a liquor store that hits channel 4 is driving the issue. What you're trying to say is basically there's not an issue out there in terms of AK's and other related guns period. I highly doubt that is the case. Hell, I don't care how many Pistol toting thugs are out there, it's the real criminals that move the guns we're talking about that we don't hear about that the powers that need to be stopped. And it's how they are getting the guns that is the real target and that needs corrected.

Politicians will vote however they think will make them look better. You can try to contact your local representatives but, you know as well as I do that nothing will come from it.

Wow...so you feel you actually have zero power and that your voice is not being heard? You're the second person in this thread to basically say that. Guess what....you're probably right. Your voice isn't being heard because you aren't trying. You've already given up and that gov't upheaval has already happened and you've already lost. Pretty sad way of thinking/living if you ask me. I completely disagree.

And the there is no better explanation for why people would "need" assault weapons than because they WANT to. Whats so hard to understand about that. I dont understand why thats not a good valid explanation for the situation.

It's the same reason as the housing crisis we're in. Everyone clamored that they had a right to own a house and guess what, the greed within others delivered that. Wow, how about that. What harm could come from that. It is after all their right to own a house, why not give it to them? Guess what....because there are repercussions to everything. One has to think them through though. Hell, that worked so well, why not give everyone a chance to have any gun they want. Sounds great to me :rolleyes: I'm sure no harm will come from it.

And if shit ever hits the fan and we do have to defend ourselves from the government, everybody in this thread will rise to the occasion and will be prepared to do so except for you and that fiji fella.

Oh come the fuck on....I said it before, if you REALLY think that's going to happen, then worrying about your right to own a fucking gun to use against our military is the least of your worries.

I would bet that that maybe 1% of the people here with such a gun, outside those that were in the military, would even think of drawing down on a military patrol trying to lock down the city in an national emergency. Their balls would fall off.....because after all, we're a country of pussies. I must have missed all those constitutional hero's during Katrina. Seems all I remember seeing were a bunch of criminals looting and firing on the police.

You're onto something here.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/publicfiles/GunFacts_BFA.pdf

Read it, get informed, then send obama an email. I'm sure he'll care.

Statistically a handgun is more dangerous, but "assault rifles" will be banned first. :o

I take it you're not too good with history are you? Maybe you're just too dumb to even realize the irony of your first paragraph there. The AK-47 was designed for a conscript army. I'm going to let you use dictionary.com to figure out what that means.

The rest of your argument is again, retarded. Yes, weapons have evolved, I guess our founders were too dumb to have thought that weapons might evolve.

I'm still waiting for you to share your 21 years of wisdom on how to combat the gun issue in this country that the politicians are trying to combat and solve. So far you've contributed zero useful information. You've whined about it a lot and you have several others that have pretty much admitted defeat and say they can't be heard, so I feel for your cause because there's no one here stepping up to it.

I'm not sure either since you obviously don't recognize sarcasm.

I recognize a feeble attempt to get your point across through sarcasm. Would you like to continue failing, or are you done?

Your statement shows your ignorance.. Not trying to be a dick but you contradict yourself and show you know nothing about it yet you continue to speak as though you do.

A gun is a gun.. you pull the trigger and it goes off. Your lack of knowledge and ignorance on the situation amazes me. You really shouldnt even be arguing here because you dont have any actual knowledge to base your opinion on. You seem to me as another unknowing victim of the media.

And by the way, your profile says a 155 mph hatchback so not only are you ignorant but you are a hypocrite and the weakest link in this thread.. Thanks for playing but really.. Good bye.

I'm still waiting for you to share your 21 years of wisdom on how to combat the gun issue in this country that the politicians are trying to combat and solve. So far you've contributed zero useful information. You've whined about it a lot and you have several others that have pretty much admitted defeat and say they can't be heard, so I feel for your cause because there's no one here stepping up to it.

I'm still waiting for you to take your wife's skirt off and shut the fuck up.

The politicians are not fighting to solve the problem we have. They are fighting to keep guns like that out of the hands of people who would legally purchase them.

I have yet to whine, i said my solution to your original question. You ignored it. I simply point out where your complete ignorance blows your arguments out of the water. Every time someone older starts getting pushed into a corner, they point out someone's age. Well guess what, I bet I have more experience with guns than you do.

There is no real solution for taking the illegal weapons off the street. Depriving me the right to arm myself as I see fit, does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Your argument doesn't even make sense. You're drawing parallels where there aren't any. People like you are part of the problem. How can you possibly think that gun control will take illegal guns off the street?

DC gun ban- Gun crime rose

England's gun ban- Gun crime rose

Georgia was ranked number 1 in car jackings, they adopted open carry for everyone inside their POV and are now ranked 50.

Continue spinning your tires, you're gaining no ground here.

A gun is a gun.. you pull the trigger and it goes off. Your lack of knowledge and ignorance on the situation amazes me. You really shouldnt even be arguing here because you dont have any actual knowledge to base your opinion on. You seem to me as another unknowing victim of the media.

so you saying that getting into a gun fight with simple Pistol in your hand up gainst someone with an UZI or a MAC-11 would be cool with you?

And by the way, your profile says a 155 mph hatchback so not only are you ignorant but you are a hypocrite and the weakest link in this thread.. Thanks for playing but really.. Good bye.

How is putting a the top speed of my car in my profile being hypocritical? How about your sig "Push your limits until you crash, then back off just a bit" Is that how you drive?

Seems all I remember seeing were a bunch of criminals looting and firing on the police.

Bingo! You just answered the question of why anyone would want an assault rifle. Most people are not buying guns to shoot at the military or overthrow the govt. You certainly have some good points but you just aren't educated enough on the subject, admittedly.