Para Ordnance...

Wonderboy

So I dont know much about 1911's but, I have heard the name Para Ordnance quite a bit. So my question is, is the Model GI Expert a good weapon? I noticed that it is priced significantly cheaper than the other Para Ordnances. Is it cheaper because of the less fancy finish or is it a lesser quality firearm? Also, if you have any recommendations on a cheap and reliable 1911 to look into I would appreciate it. I dont really care if its just a matter of a stiffer trigger pull as that can be remedied fairly easily, Im just looking for something reliable. Thanks.

*Oh yeah, what are your thoughts on Taurus 1911, and the Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, and Auto Ordnance? Thanks.*

I've shot both a Springfield GI, MilSpec, and a Para GI expert, and IMO the Para felt nicer. Granted, I only put about 7 rounds through each, so trigger time is lacking to get a true comparison. I avoid Taurus autoloaders in general. I'm sure they're ok, but it's just personal preference. Copperhead has a RIA that he loves, and they're fairly cheap, though reliable. You might check into one of those.

My Dad's got a Springfield Milspec which, I believe, is just a parked GI. Shoots great for the price. One thing I did notice is that the Para had a better trigger pull than the low end Springers.

/random thoughts

A 1911 labeled a GI is typically going to be Mil Spec, in that it has looser tolerances and more closely adheres to the original specs handed from God himself to Saint John Moses Browning. Looser tolerances means that it will run more reliably, but may have a heavier trigger pull, slightly decreased accuracy and less pretty shit hanging from it than your typical off the shelf "semi-custom" model 1911.

Para's are good shit, some of the best competition shooters out there use them. One of the first 1911's I've ever shot was also a Para. Like Austin said, I own a Rock Island Armory. If you can find one, they are some of the best GI's out there for the money, but have been coming up enough in price that it's no longer worth ordering one instead of grabbing a Springer GI off the shelf from anywhere.

One day I'd like to own a full out custom 1911, but for a gun to actually beat on and rely on I'll take a GI any day.

I bought a taurus 1911 a while back for a great price and was suprised how well it shot since then ive put probley 5k rounds through it and its worked great. The only thing i dont like about it is the quality of the finish on the gunit is extremely worn and looks old as shit. I only paid around half price from a guy that knew nothing about guns so it works for me. If you can get past a shitty finish its not a bad gun

Well thanks for all the input guys. I found the para for $499 and I believe the Springfield Milspec is roughly the same price, maybe just a little more. Im thinking its gonna be a choice between those two and Im leaning towards the Para. Im pretty sure that there are slim pickings in that price range for a decent 1911 so the para seems to be the best deal.

I have 2 of the Para GI Experts, and also own a Springfield GI. All of them perform flawlessly, but I prefer the trigger pull of the Para's, and the finish seems a little nicer. They are a cheap reliable 1911. I have shot Austin's DW and it is really nice. I have around 400 rounds through one of my Para's and it has been pretty good. Only a few hiccups, but could have been due to cheap ammo.