Mustang over heating

blue98ls1

I found an 89 Mustang that has had the water pump and thermostat replaced recently. The car is now having an over heating issue when driving. Guy said if it sits idle for an hour or so its perfectly fine and doesn't over heat so he does not believe it is a head gasket issue. But if you drive the car like 3 miles down the road it will over heat. He said he believes one of the gaskets for either the water pump or thermostat that he just replaced might have gotten pinched causing air to get in. Does this seem like a possibility or could it still be a head gasket issue or another issue?

Guy said if it sits idle for an hour or so its perfectly fine

lol, who does that sort of shit?

Maybe the radiator has a lot of corrosion and circulates poorly under a load? Could be a bad thermostat.

He said he believes one of the gaskets for either the water pump or thermostat that he just replaced might have gotten pinched causing air to get in.

Negative

Make sure you look it over real good. And be cautious to buying things that have overheating issues right now, there are a lot of people trying to get rid of shit that got fucked up during the freezing temps over the winter.

Maybe he put the wrong pump on? There are 2 styles, 1 for the old style 302's and reverse rotation for the 5.0's. Not sure how you tell the difference looking at them, and i can't remember what year exactly they switched over, but i think it was around 87? someone else can chime in on this idea.

Other then that, Check for water in the crankcase, oil in the radiator or overflow, and bubbles in the radiator, quick signs of head gasket or a crack in a block or head. or it may be something as easy as a sticking thermostat.

good luck.

Guest Removed
Maybe he put the wrong pump on? There are 2 styles, 1 for the old style 302's and reverse rotation for the 5.0's. Not sure how you tell the difference looking at them, and i can't remember what year exactly they switched over, but i think it was around 87? someone else can chime in on this idea.

Other then that, Check for water in the crankcase, oil in the radiator or overflow, and bubbles in the radiator, quick signs of head gasket or a crack in a block or head. or it may be something as easy as a sticking thermostat.

good luck.

from talking to her, sounds like he either put the wrong pump on, or put the belt on wrong(guy seemed to have a issue getting it on:confused:) or just flat out but the t-stat in backwards...

from talking to her, sounds like he either put the wrong pump on, or put the belt on wrong(guy seemed to have a issue getting it on:confused:) or just flat out but the t-stat in backwards...

What this man said... I put money on the belt being on wrong...

I am on my way out to get this car. I did check for oil in the coolant, there isn't any. I'm guessing it can be fixed fairly easily and its going to be something stupid. Hoping just the belt. I'm going to take a chance.

YAY! i'm about to own my first mustang! ;):D

Guest Removed
AOD = Yuck

yes and it does suck...need to get her a 5 speed swap...it was at one time , but some dumb fuck put a auto in it :confused::o

theres a 5 speed swap here for 500 some where..

ruinm(larry at jegs) has it, tell him 250 and you wont ban him :D

Why didn't you get a t/a I thought you loved the blue one?

This is gonna be resold for a profit soon.

I have all the 5 speed stuff too and enough parts to put it in the 10's if you wanna whoop your boyfriend all summer :)

Not a chance, and I still doubt your car, if still as it was, would give me a run for my money.

cause she already sucks his cock, so she can drive what ever she wants :p

Sometimes, she's getting better.

Why didn't you get a t/a I thought you loved the blue one?

I do love the blue one. Enough to eventually sell the 928 for a white version with blue wheels. :D

Until then i'll kiss anthony's ass for the keys. :lol:

I have all the 5 speed stuff too and enough parts to put it in the 10's if you wanna whoop your boyfriend all summer :)

Someday I plan on giving him a run for his money, not this year. Too much stuff going on. But if I end up liking it enough to keep it for any extended period of time, it is going to end up being a 5spd.