I Hate Autozone.

3.1cutlass

I've gone in an asked for Felpro 1008 head gaskets and they asked me for what vehicle. when I told them, they told me that they wouldn't fit. that's happened with another part as well. stupid $#)*(^%&^.

when we needed a window motor for my buddies truck, we called an autozone and they told us that they had the part so we went down there. when we got there, they told us that they didn't carry it.

I called another autozone and confirmed that the store we were in had it.

OMG, I know exactly how he felt there at the end when they NEEDED to know what vehicle it came out of. I don't know how many times I've went in there to get a random part that doesn't necessarily belong to that vehicle and they can't help me because I HAVE to tell them what vehicle it's for.

I thought I was going to strangle someone when I was trying to just get a damn pilot bushing for my car.

OMG, I know exactly how he felt there at the end when they NEEDED to know what vehicle it came out of. I don't know how many times I've went in there to get a random part that doesn't necessarily belong to that vehicle and they can't help me because I HAVE to tell them what vehicle it's for.

I thought I was going to strangle someone when I was trying to just get a damn pilot bushing for my car.

This problem might be partially the fault of their computer system. It might not be able to give them a part number without a car.

you definately have to 'bypass' most of the dumber ones by having some type of vehicle that the part 'was' on...

They usually only know how to press the comp keys, though once I acutally find someone who knows thier shit, thats who ill always go back to

Those guys are full on retarded. I brought in a waverunner sparkplug to replace and they couldn't find the part because their system didn't do boats. It was a basic NGK plug.

Time before that, I went in for some 3.5mm hose. Of course, they don't sell in metric, or in half sizes, so she just cut one size larger (approx 4mm). Went all the way home before realizing this, and the tubing just popped off my bypass valve. Great.

Many more stories.... That was just the past month

There was one guy that used to work at the Clintonville Autozone that knew his stuff///knew when to let me match the part on my own. He left after about a year :(

Most of the catalog systems look up by catalog or part number, asking for a random part from a chevy 350 gets you nowhere unless it's a very knowledgeable person. They sell parts and aren't expert mechanics in 30 year old cars.

Funny story though.

i went to autozone looking for some body filler for plastic that was flexible and thought by some chance they might have it. I ask the guy he recommends bondo i was like no that wont flex and will crack. He then recommend i try Home depot. I asked him just what section automotive body filler would be in at home depot he says the paint dept. I laughed and walked out

Me and Doc had a little laugh at Advance earlier today..

Since the muffler tip on his Century was a little banged up we decided we would replace it with something comperable. Walk into Advance and this is pretty much how it panned out:

*picks up nice tip*

Me-"Looks like this one will work.."

Doc-"Okay, that works."

*walk over to counter to check out*

Guy-"What kind of car is this going on?"

*Doc looks at me and we laugh* we knew what was coming :doh:

Doc-"Oh, a Toyota Century"

*Guy looks blankly*

Guy-"Okay, what year?"

Doc-"'79"

*watching him pull up '79 Toyotas like he really thinks he's going to find it*

Guy-"What motor does it have?"

Doc-"4-liter v8 Hemi"

*guy finds '79 corolla*

Guy-"2TC 4-cylinder?"

Doc-"Nope, 4-liter v8"

By that time I just walked away because I was just like.. oh god. :lol:

Guy-"What size is the piping?"

*Doc looks at me*

Me-"Well, I know the O.D. was around 3 inches"

Guy-"Well this tip isn't going to fit because they usually run pretty small"

Me-"Well, let's just get this one Doc, it will be fine."

Wouldn't you know.. it looks good on his car :lol:

I have an 00 Cherokee. Inline 6.

Needed an oil filter, looked into prices for an air filter too.

"Alright, 05 Grand Cherokee, filter number blah."

"V6, right?"

Me: "Inline 6. It's a 2000."

*blank stare*

reads part number off again.

Looked it up myself in the books, grabbed it and checked out.

Last time I go to an different one than I normally do.

In all fairness, I am a pretty good tech. The last place I was at, I had to ask stupid fucking questions to the guys who thought they knew what they wanted. I had to do this to figure out what they actually needed.

Where I am now, I have to ask stupid basic questions to: A) Asses knowledge level. B) Correctly diagnose the issue. C) Sort through the BS of the know-it-alls.

In all fairness, I am a pretty good tech. The last place I was at, I had to ask stupid fucking questions to the guys who thought they knew what they wanted. I had to do this to figure out what they actually needed.

Where I am now, I have to ask stupid basic questions to: A) Asses knowledge level. B) Correctly diagnose the issue. C) Sort through the BS of the know-it-alls.

When I worked at Advance I was by no means a parts pro,but if you needed a part for a 350 i could pull up cars i knew had 350's in them and get the part that way.I guess you just need to find a store where the staff is not total douche canoe's. I also had to ask retard questions to figure out what the person actually needed.."That part that connects to the thing that makes the brakes work" isnt very helpful

It becomes difficult when you have different parts than your car came with. I had a hell of a time trying to find a flexplate for an early 350 to bolt to a 200. It doesn't help I don't know much about chevys, but after a week or so I got pissed and bought a 400 to put in place of the 200.....problem solved.

I've always seen this shit, which I don't understand because when I worked at advance I wasn't an idiot, so it can't possibly be the job. Operator error

The problem is they hire cheap labor but then don't want to train them. None of them get ASE training or proper inventory/computer system training. And even then they usually know nothing about cars.

That's the worst part is getting some 40 year old bald fat guy who thinks he know EVERYTHING about EVERY car becasue he just got done installing wiper blades in the parking lot.

That's the worst part is getting some 40 year old bald fat guy who thinks he know EVERYTHING about EVERY car becasue he just got done installing wiper blades in the parking lot.

A couple tweaks and these two statements could have been about Computer tech support. I don't miss that job.