99 Dodge Dakota Help.

Main3s

My G/F drives a 99 Dodge Dakota (3.9l V6). It has 197K mile on it. She drove it home from work today but when she went to start it up this evening it won't turn over. It cranks and gets power it just won't turn over and start. I can hear the fule pump for a sec when the key is in the on position like normal, it just won't turn over. I have a feeling I know what it is...but... I don't want to think about that. So any input from you guys? Thanks!

Guest Removed

wait. you said it cranks, but won't turn over?

is the engine turning over at all? like say no spark?

edit

it cranks but won't turn over? Does not compute.

yeah--

it cranks but won't turn over? Does not compute.

wait. you said it cranks, but won't turn over?

is the engine turning over at all? like say no spark?

Yeah sorry for the poor explanation... It acts like it want's to start but it won't. Not like a bad starter where it just clicks, it sounds like it's about to start up, but just (insert noise you hear about .05 seconds before your car starts) doesn't. I though timing chain?

Guest Removed
I haven't checked for spark, just happened tonight. There is a ticking/tapping noise...sounds like it's coming from the top part of the motor. What's the best/safest way to check for the spark?

the funniest way for you to do it is, pull a plug wire off a spark plug and hold it while she cranks the engine over, but i dont recommend doing it that way :D

that or stick a spark plug in the wire while its off and lay it on something for it to ground and have her crank it over and watch and see if it sparks.

Guest Removed
OK, LOL. That's what I was afraid of. Assuming there is spark, what is your thought?

if you have some gas or starting fluid drop some down the TB and crank it up and see it trys to start..if not it may just be the chain flapping around. the old 302s where bad about that shit. and the dodge motor have a tension on them that like to fail.

before you go thinking the motor is all wasted check spark on every cylinder those magnum motors are really bad about getting all corroded inside the distributor cap randomly and not starting... pull the cap off and check for corrosion and rotor burn through

Well wouldn't you know it. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor yesterday and shazam, damn thing starts right up!

Thanks guys! :thumbup: + rep!