Not a good day...

Snowflake

My g/f drove my TA to work today and a little while ago she calls to tell me that it is sitting with a flat tire in the parking lot. This is not that big of a deal.

No spare in the car so her Mother drove her by the house to pick up one of my stock tires to throw on for now to get it home. My bro-in-law met them back at her work to change the tire and the key for the locking lug was not in the glovebox where I was certain it was.

So now its getting towed home. Will it be ok to just sit there on the rim for a couple months till I get home to find the key?

Is there any way to simply get it off without the key so I can at least get a spare on it while it sits till I can get home?

This sux...

You're joking, right? 12 point socket + hammer = "locking" lug off in two seconds Or, if you want to spend $40 at a parts store, they make a removal kit that is essentially the same thing.

Five minute problem, at most.

Wow that blows! They do make a removal kit or you could just have your bro hammer a socket on a impact it off if you have that stuff at home. Or i would have em jack it up and put a jackstand under it till u got there, but thats me im sure someone will have a better idea lol

Well I've never had this problem before...I called Autozone and they told me they didnt have anything to help.

Since it seems like an easy thing to do I'm sure the bro could have gotten it off if it hadn't been sitting in a parking lot. I'll let him know that he can just have at it to get it off.

Guest Removed
+1

he'll have it off in 10 minutes

less then that... may take 10 minute's to take them all off.

not sure if i could get off my lazy ass at the moment, but how quick you need it done

less then that... may take 10 minute's to take them all off.

not sure if i could get off my lazy ass at the moment, but how quick you need it done

Meh, it's all good. If for some reason my bro cant get it took care of by Tuesday I might try to take you up on that offer. He's having surgery for a hernia on Wednesday so after that he's out of commision.

Thanks

hey, i might still have my tool to get it off, ill let ya know.

Thanks Gary. Its been towed to the house and it's sitting in the driveway unable to be put in the garage :(

Just so happens that the tow truck driver is a good friend of your dad.

Small world...

Guest Removed
they make some twist sockets to remove lug nuts now, I have a Matco one, but you can buy them at sears too

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/cwash77/ts600.jpg

those are nice too, i have a large set that does a bunch of different sizes, plus the lock removing tools etc. shit comes in handy :D

those are nice too, i have a large set that does a bunch of different sizes, plus the lock removing tools etc. shit comes in handy :D

So buying the locking lugs basically gives you a false sense of security if you can just go pick up a tool at the local Sears...

So buying the locking lugs basically gives you a false sense of security if you can just go pick up a tool at the local Sears...

BINGO! some aftermarket wheel company's have center caps with a locking bolt, you can turn the bolt with a regular size flat head screwdriver :cool:

10 bucks ill go remove the lock...

Wish I'd known that about a month ago.My Dad broke the one on his LS400 and I had to drive up to Dublin to get another key.I'd paid $25 not to have to mess with it.

Thanks Gary. Its been towed to the house and it's sitting in the driveway unable to be put in the garage :(

Just so happens that the tow truck driver is a good friend of your dad.

Small world...

yep, he came over to our house right after he dropped it off lol.

ive looked every where for the damn thing man but cant find it. ill talk to my dad and see if he has any spares around his shop.