Couple of Strut replacment questions for front wheel drive cars..

CJINOHIO03

I have a 96 Toyota Avalon that has the oem suspension with about 162,000 miles on it. Anyway it rides rough and your creaking/noises going over bumps etc. How can you tell if the struts are bad or the mounts? Or how can you tell when there both bad? Or is just normal to replace the mounts when you replace the struts? Also, one other question if just the rear struts are done will that affect the alignment..Thanks CJ

Guest 614Streets
What you do is push down on the front of the car and if it bounces back up more than once the stuts are suspect. Popping noises are atributed to bad strut plates.

Guest Removed

or if you push down on it and it down move at all the struts are locked up. the noise could be the strut bearings failing, or ball joint or something of that nature.

toyota are a pita with there insert type cartridge setup. and i would not attemp it without a proper strut spring compressor.

and yes it will need aligned

Ok thanks for the responses so far. Well I am pretty certain there all shot because of the mileage. But I guess what I am trying to figure out if you replace the struts will you be able to tell if the mounts are bad too? Or is that something you normally just do also? Gearhead are you saying if the rears only were replaced you need a alignment?

Sorry for all the questions not trying to be difficult just trying to maximize my dollar. I kinda inherited this car but now all the suspension stuff is going bad. The rack and pinion leaks badly and was told by tire shop it needs a new passenger side wheel bearing/hub, one outer tire rod and struts/mounts. Also, the ABS engages for no reason. Was told that was prolly a bad/dirty wheel sensor. I am trying to get all this fixed for the least amount of money. I dont want to do a few things and keep paying for alignments and or more repairs.

Anyway, anybody with a shop feel free to pm a price for this stuff. If you can list parts, labor and supplies. So in case I cant afford everything I can figure out what the most dire repairs will cost me. Let me know if the prices include alignments and what forms of payment you take and if you have a business license. Thanks CJ

Best bet would be take it in to one of the guys on here and have them check it over. It's really hard to diagnois bumps and squeaks over the internet lol. that way they can find out exactly whats up and give you a list of what needs fixed exactly, then you can figure out from there what the wallet will allow.

Guest Removed

quick strut comes complete, all you have to do is bolt it in..and they get pricey.

but would be your best bet if doing it yourself. that way you dont have to fuck with the springs or a compressor