SC300 Turbo Build

Alex L.

Figured that I'd jump in here and start yammering about my SC300 build. Here's what I've got:

1992 Lexus SC300

2JZ-GE

5-spd

107k miles

Mods

Tein Super Street coilovers

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Aeromotive FPR

Kazera KZ-A wheels (18x8.5 F, 18x9.5 R)

The kit is an XS Power (yes, XS Power) 2JZ NA-T turbo kit. The kit is comprised of a divided T-4 exhaust manifold, 70mm turbo, 3" DP, FMIC kit & piping, and all the other essentials. I have a MAP ECU for a piggyback and an FJO wideband to make sure that shit isn't getting fried.

I am retaining the stock headgasket for now and running 10psi or less to ensure that I don't grenade anything just yet. When I decide it's time to replace the HG, I've got a Boostwerx FFIM and the fuel system will be getting even more of an upgrade.

Updates will be slow for the next week, but after that, pics will not be spared (spring break).

So, welcome to my garage.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/SC300WorkStarts.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally a build thread! make sure you get the 4 runner distributor cap because if you dont i believe the turbo intake piping will hit it.

Id also just do the TT HG now while your at it just to be safe.

More pics will be coming soon, I need to get some more.

Pak, I know, finally after all this time of me talking about it! I'm going to go pick up the cap soon. I can't decide whether or not to do the HG now. I think I'm going to keep the stock HG for now and, when the time comes that I need more boost, swap the HG out.

• 2 weeks later...
Uh oh Alex is boosting....guess I better get the Integra done pronto so we can tear up the mean streets of Licking County this summer together lol

We have to make a point to take gnome kid out. ;)

He's drunk remember. ;)

Nice build man, I always liked those cars! Got any HP goals in mind?

I'm keeping the stock head gasket on for right now which limits me from running too much boost. I'll be limited to 10psi or less for right now, and with that much boost I'll be looking at around 300whp est. Once I replace the head gasket, get some of my other parts on it, and up the boost, I could be in the realm of 500whp fairly easily. It depends on how crazy I want to get with it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

• 2 weeks later...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/SC300MAPECU.jpg

Check that shit. Tuning this mofo myself.

Anyone have any clue what the smaller, in focus connector is for here? If anyone is familiar with the MAP ECU plug layout, the black wires go into pins #4 and #6.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/SC300MAPECUConnector.jpg

The stock internals are as bulletproof as the GTE motors (I hope I didn't just jinx myself). It's the headgaskets that are the problems. They're not made for boost, so they will only hold 10psi or less.

I'm going to run 10psi for right now, which should get me to around 300whp. It will be a very fun DD for me. I've got some stuff to do to the head (you can see the FFIM up a few posts, would like to upgrade fuel, headgasket, ARP studs, etc.), and after that, I will be looking for mid-upper 400s out of it.

I may end up brushing the 500whp mark with it eventually, I don't know yet. I'm not really worried about that right now, I just want to get it back together so I can drive and enjoy it.

I wouldn't boost over 10 psi on GE internals at all. Look around SF. Most people just get the GTE rods/pistons and get them shot and peened / cleaned etc. Also, man, just do the damn headgasket. A cheap 2-300$ job could become a lot more down the road. Im not sure if 2jays have aluminum heads like the 7m's, but waiting for the HG to blow isnt worth the pita of having to get it machined, then getting a custom thickness MHG, then adjusting the lifters (if 2jays have them) etc. Trust me, i went through this.

I don't feel like popping the head off right now. I can boost 10psi or less safely and be happy with it, so why go through the extra trouble right now?

All over Club NA-T there are people boosting without ever lifting the head to change the gasket.

I don't want to be bothered doing it now. I need to get it together, get a base tune in, get it broken in, and then get it to the track rental to see if it will keep up with any of you fuckers.

I need to get new pics today. The FMIC is mounted and I'm going to work on the piping today after I get back from Trails.

I finished installing the ECU this morning; you can't tell anything's up besides the little serial cable coming out of the center console ;)