Dave Sigman Sr.

evan9381

so even though i haven't gone with him yet, im gonna have to give thumbs up to Dave's dad, Dave Sr.

the house im looking at being sold as-is has some shingles missing on the roof...the bank is needing to get an estimate to replace the shingles, and needs to make sure it has 2 years of life left (FHA requirement).

i talked to dave sr. on thursday, and he said he'd get back to me with an estimate by friday or so. saturday i wasnt able to reach him, and needed to find someone to check it out. turns out my sisters friend is a general contractor...he came out this morning, said the roof is in bad shape (looks like it), and said it would need replacing this year...he said he would sign off on it, as long as i knew it would need to be replaced. i figured it might, so ok.

well tonight, dave sr. called me back, said he got a chance to go out there and look at it. said the roof looks good, aside from the few missing shingles from the wind storm. he said the reason it feels mushy/weak is because then the house was built, 3/8" plywood was acceptable to use for the decking (i think he said its required to use like 5/8" now), and the trusses are 24" apart, giving it that feel that the roof isnt solid...he said the shingles arent cracked/curled, and the roof probably has 5-10 years of life left after the shingles are fixed.

the estimate he gave me was slightly higher than what the other guy said, but he did say if it came out to be less, he would refund me the difference. even if it comes out to be a few bucks more than the other guy, i feel like since he came out, he saved me from dropping thousands of dollars into a new roof right off the bat that isnt needed.

plus, he found what looks to maybe be a .223 or 7.62x39 bullet stuck into the roof, which made me LOL. ill try to get a pic of it later.

so anyone looking for work, dave sr. definitely someone i would reccomend just off this. its obvious he does honest work, and not looking to make a quick buck like the guy who gave me the first estimate. not to mention ive seen threads here where he has been reccomended, so heres another for him.

• 3 weeks later...

just to update, albeit a few days late...

Dave came out over the weekend while we were moving in, got the roof patched up, and even hammered the nails back into the gutters (were loose) and cleaned them out for me! he said he figured it would be less than the estimate since he thought it would take 2 bundles of shingles, and it was a few shy of 1 full bundle, so i told him if it ended up being less, just to bill it for the amount he originally said for helping me out with the gutters. he said no! said he would just bill me for materials/labor. wow!

he also gave me a couple pointers on a couple small questions i had in the house, and said if i ever needed any other advice, he's willing to chat. awesome

thanks again Dave Sr!

I've tried to have Dave Sr. come out and give me an estimate on my garage about three times and he hasn't come out. I guess I just suck.

It doesn't matter much though. It's a big job. I've been quoted around 2,000 to do it. It's probably something that he doesn't want to tackle (I don't blame him either) :).

yeah, he did tell me he was really busy. i have a guy at work that needed some roof work done and i told dave i gave him his number, and he said "if he doesnt need it done right now, thats fine. ive got so much work its not funny"

I've tried to have Dave Sr. come out and give me an estimate on my garage about three times and he hasn't come out. I guess I just suck.

It doesn't matter much though. It's a big job. I've been quoted around 2,000 to do it. It's probably something that he doesn't want to tackle (I don't blame him either) :).

he didn't call you back yet?

I'll remind him this weekend. he may really just not have had time to do the estimate properly he's on a deadline on some store in the north market