Sumitomo HTR Z, who's used them?

Science Abuse

I have not run the Z's. I Ran the HTR's and thought they were very good for the $. I wish I had stayed with them when it came time to replace tires. Only reason was a price hook up. Now i'm with a very soft side wall tire that feels sloppy and not as responsive while cornering.

As for Sumitomo HTR in general, I would buy them again. I know the Audi S4 guys like them a lot when I first put them on. They had good wear and were exactly what I was looking for at that time.

• Upvote 1

I have one of the HTR lines on my car. There are times when they feel like they are just starting to understeer, but then the feeling goes away so I dunno if its actually happening or just my imagination. They were certainly cheap though.

Ive got the HTZ R III's for summer. I didnt log all that many miles on them last year but I dont have anything to complain about yet (noise, ect) I did do 1 auto-x day on them and aftersome extra pressure I didnt have any problems with them.

htrz--cheap junk

htrz2-cheap decent but discontinued

htrz3- cheap beating bridgestone- yoko and other big names in tires rack testing

htr+-cheap h,v,w rated all season decent traction alot of people happy with them for the price

htrz--cheap junk

htrz2-cheap decent but discontinued

htrz3- cheap beating bridgestone- yoko and other big names in tires rack testing

htr+-cheap h,v,w rated all season decent traction alot of people happy with them for the price

Thank you for summing this up.

CHEAP! There is always a sacrifice to be made somewhere...

We carry sumitomo's at my work (NTB) and I put a set of the htrzIII's on my girls car for cheap and they have been great. We took a trip to the outer banks the week that we put them on and they rode great. I would suggest them for daily driving only. If you want a sticky performance tire then spend the extra money for something a little more high end.

We carry sumitomo's at my work (NTB) and I put a set of the htrzIII's on my girls car for cheap and they have been great. We took a trip to the outer banks the week that we put them on and they rode great. I would suggest them for daily driving only. If you want a sticky performance tire then spend the extra money for something a little more high end.

Yeah, I put them on a lot of stuff too. That was mainly because I made $6 per tire plus the mounting. Sometimes it's nice to be owned by a huge company like Sumitomo.

Tire rack's testing must be biased

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/su_htrzIII/chart6.gif

What it probably is; Cheap tire buyers are more vocal than people who buy decent ones.

I was ready to go for yours this weekend, but ya didn't return my call. My hoops aren't safe and I needed to be sure that I got a set for Mid Ohio, so I pulled the trigger on these. I got two of the Sumi's in 255/45 and two of the RE-01 Rs in 245/45.

Considering that these will also be my HPDE rain set, I probably should have gotten 4 of the Sumi's. I'm not sure how the RE-01 R will do on the front in the wet.

I bought some volks with them on them

even at 275 width, they were nothing compared to the nitto 555r on 275s I have now. I had 245 width Toyo T1R on stock wheels that hooked up better than the sumitomos. I would have never bought them but they came with my old wheels

I bought some volks with them on them

even at 275 width, they were nothing compared to the nitto 555r on 275s I have now. I had 245 width Toyo T1R on stock wheels that hooked up better than the sumitomos. I would have never bought them but they came with my old wheels

which model?

I bought some volks with them on them even at 275 width, they were nothing compared to the nitto 555r

Sorry, but though I thank you for your reveiw, it is utterly worthless because you just compared a budget street tire to an R compound drag radial. Even the TR1 is a ridiculous comparison, of course its going to be better. :p I’m assuming you’re version of “hook” pertains to launching?

sorry for the lame comparison, I was just being honest with what I've used

The biggest thing is that when I went from volk/sumis > stock wheels I put on new Toyo T1R - which is a good performance tire, but nothing outstanding - I felt like I had more traction in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears. This was with 30mm less width out back. I don't typically launch the car hard, but giving it lots of gas in 2nd or 3rd meant less slipping.

The sumis were HRT-Z I believe. This was several years ago and I think it was the first iteration.

Of course the Nitto 555rs grip a lot better....