Rear Sway bar install....need some help - have some pics

spankis

So I bought a rear sway bar to replace the factory one on the stealth. It's supposed to get rid of a whole bunch of understeer and generally neutralize the handling a lot.

I had read through a step-by-step guide on installing the damn thing before starting, and it looked like cake. I just got the car in the air, and had the stock bar out in 15 minutes. I loosely installed the endlinks on the new one, but the mounts in the middle of the bar, on the subframe are waaaaaaay too far off, not close enough at all. For what it's worth, this is the guide I'm following: http://www.3sx.com/installs/swaybar-na-rear/index.html .

If you look at these pictures:

http://www.3sx.com/installs/swaybar-na-rear/install-swaybar-rear-na-49-new-bracket.jpg

http://www.3sx.com/installs/swaybar-na-rear/install-swaybar-rear-na-59-new-bracket.jpg

you'll see that the base of the red bushing sits easily on the mount in the picture, flush against it obviously. The flat side of the bushing on mine is a good inch and a half away from the mount, and no amount of crowbarring, ratchet-strapping or anything is getting it even close enough to throw the nuts on and and pull it into it. My car is lowered, but the geometry to the sway bar endlinks shouldn't have changed really, so that shouldn't affect it. Plenty of other guys with lowered cars seem to have had no issues installing these either.

I've been playing with it for 2 or 3 hours now, and I just don't see how I can make it fit. I understand that the basis of it's function is tension, but it shouldn't have so much tension on it that you can't install it, right? I've tried with the weight on the tires, and the car in the air, and neither helped....

Anybody have any advice? I'm completely lost...

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I know it's not on backwards/upside down or anything, because the endlinks line up perfect, and everything is in alignment otherwise. As far as verifying the part, the box it came in had the correct part label on it, but there's obviously no tag on the bar itself...

Rob I could come by and see if you could figure it out for me, I'm seriously lost at this point. You mean this afternoon or this week some time?

Just out of curiosity, someone point out the problem to me. I dont see anything different between the 2.

Neither of the pics are of my car, they're from the install guide. Both are of the "expected" mounting fit.

Mine doesn't lay against the mount.

Neither of the pics are of my car, they're from the install guide. Both are of the "expected" mounting fit.

Mine doesn't lay against the mount.

Mount the bar to the frame first, then try the end links?

or load up the tire i.e. get the car at ride height by jacking under the control arms on both sides. this loads up the suspension and should bring the bar closer.. but like he said take it off the endlinks and mount to the frame first.

Just got back to campus from Rob's, we jacked it up and re-tried everything I did over at his place. In the end he agreed that it really just wouldn't work without modification, which lets me know that at least I'm not retarded. I'll have to call the place I bought it from monday, but I may keep playing with it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys, and thanks again Rob!

Guest Removed

no. this has ball socket type links

+1000 always mount the bar to the frame and then install the links

yes there is

or load up the tire i.e. get the car at ride height by jacking under the control arms on both sides. this loads up the suspension and should bring the bar closer.. but like he said take it off the endlinks and mount to the frame first.

i dont think this bar is made for his car. that or he has already changed so much stuff, it will not allow a install.

the thing about his car , its on a complete coil over setup. when you jack it up or let it down, there is not much travel in it at all.

and this sway bar doesnt match up to the stock one very well . if you bolt it to the links, its sits 1 1/2 away from the mounts in the front. if you bolt it to the frame, its not even close to the end links.

he says he dont even feel a difference in the ride the the stock one off the car.

Guest Removed
Just got back to campus from Rob's, we jacked it up and re-tried everything I did over at his place. In the end he agreed that it really just wouldn't work without modification, which lets me know that at least I'm not retarded. I'll have to call the place I bought it from monday, but I may keep playing with it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys, and thanks again Rob!

no problem...only way i see it working is like i said, longer bolts and spacers.

i dont see it making much change with every thing else you got in the back of the car.

Just a comment on sway bars. I noticed a couple of people mentione "ride" differences (noticed or not). Keep in mind, in a straight line you should not notice much if any difference in sway bars (size). The real affectiveness doesn't really kick in until you are cornering where the bar transfers load to the opposite side of the car. Yes, a larger rear bar will help reduce understeer.

Herb Adams (did a lot of work in the 70's on Trans Ams) was well known for realtively softly sprung cars with BIG sway bars to get the handling without as harsh a ride.

Good luck with the install - be sure to check for side to side "preload" on the end links - that can cause some peculiar handling!!!