house repairs FTL

evan9381

so today, i closed on my house...around 3pm...went over to the house right away where the g/fs parents (who live around the corner) were already inside changing locks, removing plug covers, etc. getting started.

list of stuff we got done today -

replaced doorbell button (easy)

all door handles/locks changed

fixed cracked front door (will need to be replaced eventually...temporary fix)

installed kitchen faucet, only to **** it up to the point i destroyed it by tightening the water line and not holding onto the bolt up top, thus twisting the copper line on the faucet. ended up having to get the g/f to drop ~$80 on a new faucet + a $25 gift card i had. (didnt realize i left my wallet in my nice pants i ditched for torn jeans)...havent changed this out yet

installed shutoff valves on kitchen faucet water lines

got the dishwasher removed and out of the house

g/fs sisters boyfriend who is a painter came over and did whole front room, into the upstairs hallway, and downstairs part way.

cut out rotted floor in upstairs bathroom, replaced w/ 3/4" plywood

removed toilet upstairs to strip linoleum and tile floor

we then started to tackle the wallpaper in the kitchen. horrible shit...ill post pic below...from what my mom said, there is something you're supposed to put down before you wallpaper, to make it come off easier, which apparently the last fucktard who was in there DIDNT do. after over an hour of scraping, we got over the sink, a little above where the oven goes, and a bit of behind the fridge space

there is SO much more to do, im not going to waste 2+ days fucking with wallpaper. tomorrow, we're going to pick up some 3/8" drywall, g/fs dad has some extension boxes for the outlets, and we're just going to pull baseboards, put up drywall, tape it, mud it, and hopefully call it a day. then, when i get new cabinets in a few months or so, we'll just fill in behind the cabinets where we're not drywalling

to top it off, im ready to fall over im so tired....it figures i couldnt get ANY sleep last night, been up since 430am, and got an hour nap in at about 11.

hoping tomorrow

1) the plumber comes to fix the gas leak so we can get the heat on and have hot water

2) the appliances should be coming as well tomorrow, which will be good, but suck at the same time since \/

3) we've got to redo the walls in the kitchen.

4) gotta run a water line from the sink to the fridge for the ice maker/water dispenser (god i cant wait to not have to fill ice trays anymore...w00t!)

5) hoping to move my fish tank since its the only day off my brother has, and he's the only one strong enough to help me (g/fs dad has a bum shoulder, cant lift shit)

6) guy that goes to the dr office my mom works at who does carpet is going to come give me an estimate

7) need to get paint for bedrooms, patch walls, remove anchors/nails/etc

8) tile bathroom? we'll see.

busy day tomorrow. probably be working 8am - 10pm or so...im hoping to get a good chunk of that list done, but in reality, id be happy to get 3-4 things done. hopefully my brother can give us a hand all day to move it along faster.

fuck.

and here's the hideous wallpaper that needs to be gone like panties on prom night

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMG_2509.jpg?t=1236388299

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They make a chemical you can put on the wall paper to make it soft enough to peel off easier.. check home depot or lowes.

Good luck on the project though!

+1

It's a spray on gel that works pretty well. Just make sure you score the wall first.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/prodpics/large/ZINPTS.jpg

yeah...we got the eagles claw (to score the wallpaper) and the chemical to make it easier to come off. its being a bitch because they didnt prep the wall correctly before hanging it. such a PITA

i wish i took a pic to show how much 3 of us got off before we quit for the night. my mom came over about 7:20, me and her worked on it until 10, with random help from my g/f and her mom and sister for some time

i think the area above the oven, about 2'x3' is 90% cleared, sink area, ~40"x36" is pretty clear, and about 30"x48" around the fridge is somewhat cleared... itll take so much time to strip it all it'll be crazy.

thanks for the good luck wishes though. im gonna need em!

Wallpaper comes off easiest with hot water and tide. No need to papertiger it. Soak the stuff with a good sponge. I mean soak it to the point where the carpet below is wet with stuff dripping. It wont damage anything. Wait a few minutes and scrape. Sizing or not, this works.

they're retarded. i know.

the dumbasses even painted over wallpaper in the bedrooms upstairs. im so pissed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdpLARNtKIA

think i can rent this at lowes? if so, i might try that before dropping close to $100 bucks or more on drywall and supplies

and BTW tim, my new house is semi-close to you. im back in that neighborhood you stopped by to pick up the yuengling a few months ago

Try stripping a whole house of paper, repainting(including white package) everything ripping out all carpet, installing laminate floors in bathrooms and kitchen, new countertops and cabinets, powerwashing outside, replacing patio door all in less than 24hrs by yourself because the house had a buyer the next day. I loved that shit years ago easy money. Keep us posted with pics.

Try stripping a whole house of paper, repainting(including white package) everything ripping out all carpet, installing laminate floors in bathrooms and kitchen, new countertops and cabinets, powerwashing outside, replacing patio door all in less than 24hrs by yourself because the house had a buyer the next day. I loved that shit years ago easy money. Keep us posted with pics.

uh, yeah, fuck all that. lol

any idea where i can rent that steamer? might as well give it a shot

think i can rent this at lowes? if so, i might try that before dropping close to $100 bucks or more on drywall and supplies

and BTW tim, my new house is semi-close to you. im back in that neighborhood you stopped by to pick up the yuengling a few months ago

I'm pretty sure you can rent those at HD or Lowe's. I'd def check before dropping that much coin on more products. The steamers are supposed to work really well (according to HGTV).

That's cool man. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Being so close, I'd drop by and give you a hand if you needed. It's nice that Lowe's is so close to you...you'll make frequent trips there...I do.

uh, yeah, fuck all that. lol

any idea where i can rent that steamer? might as well give it a shot

Dont waste your money. It usually only works when sizing is used. And in your case it hasnt been. Use my method, years of doing it with proven results. I am not saying the steamer wont work. It depends on the glue. Good paper has good glue. Cheap paper put up with water and no sizing is a pita.

I'm pretty sure you can rent those at HD or Lowe's. I'd def check before dropping that much coin on more products. The steamers are supposed to work really well (according to HGTV).

That's cool man. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Being so close, I'd drop by and give you a hand if you needed. It's nice that Lowe's is so close to you...you'll make frequent trips there...I do.

i appreciate the offer. im hoping we'll have enough help to get stuff done this week. im off all week, g/fs dad has been out on disability for 2 years, so he doesnt have shit to do...g/fs mom is off work (works at home too) by noon, so she can run to the store for us...tomorrow my brother said he's gonna come help, and thursday my mom said she was going to come over on her days off.

luckily the house isnt in horrible shape, it just has a lot of little projects to do that take time

but i may have to recruit you once i get some funds to redo my bath tub and tiles. the one you posted up was pretty smooth!

if youve got some white, i was actually going to stop by SW to get a 5g bucket...g/fs sister's b/f gave me his work account number to save some $, but still, 2 gallons and 3 quarts was $110.

let me know. i probably wont need a whole 5g, but if youve got a good amount you want to get rid of, ill probably take it from you

if youve got some white, i was actually going to stop by SW to get a 5g bucket...g/fs sister's b/f gave me his work account number to save some $, but still, 2 gallons and 3 quarts was $110.

let me know. i probably wont need a whole 5g, but if youve got a good amount you want to get rid of, ill probably take it from you

I have had an account at sherwin williams for 15years, back when I could get superpaint for $9 a gallon. What paint did you use? Promar 200 is contractors grade and is the exact same as the best sw sells. Dont let anyone lie to you. Dont use the dumb expensive stuff. Its used to convince soccer moms its "the best". Speedwall from home depot is good to plus cheaper, Use to be ici contractor grade. It wont be white. It will all be neutral if anything.

yeah, her sisters b/f looked at it and went "what a dick, he sold you the most expensive shit they sell, even with our account"

nothing i can do now though. ill just know if i ever have to go back

let me know what you find at your place, im just in blacklick, so i can stop over at some point to figure out what i can take off you

i dont know if its a company or what...i think the name on the account was henry phillip, or phillip henry...im not sure

i know he told us today, he was over working on cameron mitchell's house in UA (i believe thats where he said it was)

and it looks like sunbelt has the steamer, $14 for the 1/2 day. gonna get up early and pick that up by 8, if it doesnt work, ill get it back before times up. if its working and i just need some more time, im sure i could do something to extend it for the full day, plus, ill only be out $14 instead of a shitload more for our plan now

ill update later how it goes