Running project car for 3k.....

Aaron

I am trying to get a project car for my birthday in April. I want to spend about 3k on the car. The only rules are that it has to be drivable (have good brakes, tires, engine, trans etc), 0 rust with good paint, and only dents that can be taken care of at a paintless removal place.

The 3 on my list are (flame suit on):

1. 1992-1995 Taurus SHO 5 speed

2. MKII/MKIII Jetta VR6 5 speed

3. Fox body 5.0 5 speed

Anyone have any other suggestions, opinions?

Thanks guys.

I am trying to get a project car for my birthday in April. I want to spend about 3k on the car. The only rules are that it has to be drivable (have good brakes, tires, engine, trans etc), 0 rust with good paint, and only dents that can be taken care of at a paintless removal place.

The 3 on my list are (flame suit on):

1. 1992-1995 Taurus SHO 5 speed

2. MKII/MKIII Jetta VR6 5 speed

3. Fox body 5.0 5 speed

Anyone have any other suggestions, opinions?

Thanks guys.

#2 just because I love the exhaust note.

But, where's the "project" in a car that's effectively mechanically sound and physically in good condition as well?

I used to have a 91 sho. They are fun cars but to modify them is expensive, and the brakes on them tend to warp because rotors are to small for the car, still a fun car to dick around with.

I have had 2 gen 2 SHO's. I am very familiar with all parts of the car and their expense. They have remained one of my all time favorite cars though.

you can get into a late 90s gtp for about that. Its going to be hard to find a clean taurus or fox for that much. What will your project car be used for?

The SHO prices are well within my range.......and I will only buy a manual trans car.

Thanks

#2 just because I love the exhaust note.

But, where's the "project" in a car that's effectively mechanically sound and physically in good condition as well?

haha good point.

I want a car that I don't have to drive daily, that I can have down time with when I want to mod something, investigate a problem etc. However I would like it to be drivable so I can get some instant gratification.

The SHO and Jetta would be easy to get what I want for that price.

I am looking for a long project, big plans down the road, but something that I can take advantage of now with the small stuff for a while.

A project car for me is one that I can put my work into and don't have to drive it daily. The Jetta VR6 and SHO both have great V6's for turbo applications and both handle good for a FWD car.

I don't want to build a car from the ground up like "project" car implies, I am just looking for a cheaper car that will be fun to "mod"........you know, like a project. lol

what the hell would you guys call it then? I have a good daily, I am looking for a project car.

A project car for me is one that I can put my work into and don't have to drive it daily. The Jetta VR6 and SHO both have great V6's for turbo applications and both handle good for a FWD car.

I don't want to build a car from the ground up like "project" car implies, I am just looking for a cheaper car that will be fun to "mod"........you know, like a project. lol

what the hell would you guys call it then? I have a good daily, I am looking for a project car.

A garage queen or weekend car. :p

Guest fist302

I have a great condition SHO with 80k miles, and i just got a 87 mustang GT, jealous? hehe

How many threads are we going to have with people asking what kind of project car they can get for cheap. Must be that time of the year.

Obviously the 5.0 mustang is win, i had one for years that was by far the most fucked up car i have ever owned mechanically and body wise and it never had even one problem and i beat the shit out of it.

I bought it after it totaled a volvo, and fixed the brake lines.

Then procided to do burnouts race it and generally drive it like i stole it for 2 years and in the midst of that got rear ended on west broad. Then i sold it for almost exactly what i payed for.

The mustang is

Tough

reliable

powerful

cheap

has potential to go as fast as your wallet will allow

fun to drive

reasonable cool looking car

cheap parts

tons of aftermarket information and parts.

I would say the only problem with it for you is thats its a old school car and will likly have a few problems that you inherent from the previous asshole that either modded the shit out of it or didnt maintain it well enough. In that price range you will probobly find something that falls in one of those two categories but you could get lucky.

Only other problem is i know you have had alot of nice cars in the past and have been looking at stuff like a r32 and having the gti you have now, its not like those cars at all. Its more of a 20 year old muscle car. Not so comfy interior and kinda crude.

The SHO is the total opposite.

Breaks easy as fuck, although after i finished the 60k mine has had no problems in the past year and a half.

Has no potential at all speed wise, you are basically king of the road if you manage to get into the 13's. It could become a good cone car though.

Has heavy maintenance

But its pretty rare and interesting

Pretty damn fast for what it is

sounds amazing when the secondaries open : )

Has all the bells and whistles of a high end luxury car but for well under 5k

Great gas milage

Im a not a VW fan so il just leave that be.

I cant really say which one you should get, they are so different that you cant compare them you have to compare the type of car an what you want out of it instead of a head to head comparison of the vehicles.

If you want something thats still a nice comfy car like your previous cars and out of the norm get the SHO. Or if you just cant hold back from hearing that yamaha v6 rev up again. Also the sho is a much nicer daily driver.

If you wanna get something that drives like shit and its a old ass car but could actually be fast someday get the 5.0. Also RWD > failwheeldrive.

Maybe you should do what i did. Enjoy the SHO Taurus as a daily driver and get the 5.0 as your 1/4 mile project : )

The only thing i can say for sure is dont get the shitty VDUB.

Guest fist302

Also if you are interested in SHO's, i would probably let mine go for 3500, but i do enjoy the car as of now i just would rather have a jeep cherokee or something like that as a daily.

I have spoke with you before about the car.

95 Silver MTX 80k miles

Intake, ypipe, catback 80mm MAF and UDP

put down 212 WHP 206 WTQ

Has been garaged every winter and has no rust. Its probably the nicest SHO you will find in Columbus in that price range. Its in overall great condition.

No problems, i drive it every day.

Pm me if your interested.

I have a great condition SHO with 80k miles, and i just got a 87 mustang GT, jealous? hehe

The only thing i can say for sure is dont get the shitty VDUB.

My heart is telling me to go with the SHO, my brain is telling me to go with the fox.

I can get a much better SHO than I can a fox for the price. But because this car is NOT my DD, I am leaning towards the fox body.

Anyone have a lead on a solid mustang?

Guest fist302
My heart is telling me to go with the SHO, my brain is telling me to go with the fox.

I can get a much better SHO than I can a fox for the price. But because this car is NOT my DD, I am leaning towards the fox body.

Have fun sounds like a hard decision. Good luck on the foxbody hunt, i looked all over the place and even after waiting and hunting the 5.0 i got ended up needed alot more work that i bargained for. They are out there though.

Its over budget, but looks to be well built from a glance. Maybe you can talk him down, cash talks. Says it has a miss though......

http://forums.502underground.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1642

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/18/Complete_Race_Cars/post/1500609/92-LX-Mustang-Coupe-82K-original-miles-NICE-.html

89-91 gt and turbo that turd.

Im pretty sure those are the correct years for the forged pistons, Rob will correct me if I am wrong:cool:

Guest fist302
89-91 gt and turbo that turd.

Im pretty sure those are the correct years for the forged pistons, Rob will correct me if I am wrong:cool:

86-92 I think

Im positive that 87-92 was forged.

87-88 were speed density but thats not much of a setback until you do head/cam and then you can just convert it.

Stick with the 87-92, 93 had weaker pistons and a shitty intake.