High Speed Internet

Akula

Have all the ISPs in Columbus ceased build out?

I live in a pretty affluent area, with the average cost per home about double what it is in the burbs. I can see a High School from my house. Why cant I get High Speed Internet?

Time Warner is the service provider for Cable out here, no Road Runner.

ATT is the phone company, no DSL.

I am currently running off of EVDO but I cannot stand the upload speed.

I guess I don't understand why TWC or ATT hasn't provisioned high speed out here when my dad (who lives in a town of 85 people) can get it at his house.

I tried for a T1, was only going to be $400/month. ATT refused to install it because they didn't have the facilities.

Hughes has way too much latency so CIFS, VPN etc will not work.

As I said, I cannot get DSL where I live so Uverse is impossible as well as Verizon DSL.

No investment, no return. They didn't build out here when it was during the boom so I guess I am just screwed. Sucks because I know the high school has fiber, and it is less than a mile away.

I'm really surprised the other homeowners haven't raised enough of a fuss to get High Speed. Nowadays, lack of High Speed availability will bring a home's value down. I know I wouldn't consider a house that can't get High Speed Internet. Maybe you can talk to the other homeowners near you and get a larger group to start raising a fuss.

I guess EVDO is what I get. Still it is fun calling the ATT and TWC sales people and telling them I want the biggest most expensive internet pipe I can get. They get all excited and then tell me they cannot install it.

I'm really surprised the other homeowners haven't raised enough of a fuss to get High Speed.

What are they going to do - force a private company to spend millions to provide them a service?

I am SURE TW or ATT would be happy to run the lines, if the home-owners all banded together to foot the bill.

I was the Outside Plant engineer for ATT up to 2003 for the Hilliard area. Back then we were pushing DSL just about everywhere. When building out an area, I would have to work the figures around to show that the investment would be paid back in a certain time frame. Of course the denser the area was populated, the easier this was to justify.

Which high school are you near? I still have contacts inside I can poke around at for info. You never know....

As far as a T-1 goes, they will gladly put one in your home. I never refused one in my career at ATT. That is their bread and butter. Sometimes customers would incur costs from some of the construction of facilities when there are no repeaters or doublers along the route that feeds you, but to refuse a T-1.....hmmmph.

When I moved to Florida there was no high speed options. A T-1 with that provider was around $700 a month, so I had an ISDN put in. Better than dial up and faster than my air card at the time. It is only 128k though.

The best option out there is something you cannot get...Verizon FiOS. I worked for those guys in Florida and wow is all I can say. 20 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up with a ton of tv over a fiber to your home is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I live near the new high school.

ATT refused to install the T1 siting no facilities and they refused to build out to accommodate it, something about having to dig or something and it wasn't worth it for them.