Figure this one out - TH350

nurkvinny

Vehicle - 85 S10

Engine/trans - V8, 3500 conv, TH350

Rear - 9" maybe 200 miles on brand new build.

Issue - start truck, truck goes into any and all gears, trans feels perfect forward and reverse. You can drive back and forth 400' long driveway 20 times, going from drive to reverse to N to park, to whatever, and no issues. No slipping. Hard launches feel great.

Pull out onto the road, and truck stops moving. Truck acts like it is in N, little throttle or full throttle, truck won't move. But here is the kicker - the speedo registers 35-50mph while sitting still so the speedo gear is spinning. Put in reverse, and speedo goes counter clockwise back around to about 75mph.

Spent 30 minutes pushing truck back to garage. Fired truck up and all gears feel perfect again.

So, what could be broken / not meshing / not adjusted to cause this? The truck sits so fucking low I could not see if the driveshaft was spinning. No odd rear end noises at all.

This is Kenny's old TH350 I got from Marc, and I do not know the history of it's guts.

Yes, the trans is "shifting". The speedo reads like 20 in 1st, 40 in 2nd, 50+ in 3rd.

Rear was built end-to-end, front to back by Mike Fouts at Slip-Tech (forget his name on here).

Not that this pic helps, but it's pretty. :) - http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Trucks/1985_S10/NewHousing4.JPG

If anything, the shaft is too long. It actually slips in further than most all others I have seen. Again, a pic not that it helps - http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Trucks/1985_S10/ShaftMED.jpg

I should mention this has happened the last 2 times I have tried to go for a drive. I chocked the one late last year up to a freak occurrence.

Edited by nurkvinny

Guest Removed

no those pics dont help...it would almost have to be something to do with the shaft or rearend .cause the output is turning, and the drive line isnt , theres your sign..

now on a leaf sprung car, the springs wrap up and can cause all kinds of issues, and those spacer blocks dont help any

Latest thing I'm wondering is if one axle or another is loose in the outer bearing and sliding out of the center section, so the posi is shooting all the load to the "free" spinning side when I turn left out onto the road, and once I push it back to the garage, it's slid back into the pumpkin? I don't know.

From what I understand the speedo gear / tail shaft to look like inside a trans, isn't it a complete given that if the speedo is turning, the power is making it to the ass end of the trans?

Guest Removed
Latest thing I'm wondering is if one axle or another is loose in the outer bearing and sliding out of the center section, so the posi is shooting all the load to the "free" spinning side when I turn left out onto the road, and once I push it back to the garage, it's slid back into the pumpkin? I don't know.

From what I understand the speedo gear / tail shaft to look like inside a trans, isn't it a complete given that if the speedo is turning, the power is making it to the ass end of the trans?

yes thats what im saying. if the speedo is working then the trans is fine. its either the yoke is sliding off the spline on the trans, or the whole rearend could be sliding back and forth on the leaf springs, causing the shaft not to engage..understand what im saying now?

try turning right out of the driveway? lol

Why didn't I think of that? :)

yes thats what im saying. if the speedo is working then the trans is fine. its either the yoke is sliding off the spline on the trans, or the whole rearend could be sliding back and forth on the leaf springs, causing the shaft not to engage..understand what im saying now?

Yep. But... the shaft goes pretty far into the trans. The idiot as Zanesville joint and clutch actually made it like 3/4" too long, and I was worried it was actually too long.

I will check all the u-bolt nuts on the leafs tomorrow. I can't imagine it is moving, but the list of possible causes is pretty short, sounds like.

Can you think of any way something internal in the 9" center could cause this? I can't.

and i dont think it could be the axles, cause the bearings are pressed to them, and they shouldnt be moving at all!

Funny you say that. On the original build, Mike actually put on too large of bearings, and one axle slipped out. He did however repair it for free with correct sized bearings and tacked them on.

Guest Removed
Funny you say that. On the original build, Mike actually put on too large of bearings, and one axle slipped out. He did however repair it for free with correct sized bearings and tacked them on.

theres a big difference in the bearing sizes for that, and they should have a collar on the outside of the bearing anyway, that press's on after the bearings do

Guest Removed
Why didn't I think of that? :)

Yep. But... the shaft goes pretty far into the trans. The idiot as Zanesville joint and clutch actually made it like 3/4" too long, and I was worried it was actually too long.

I will check all the u-bolt nuts on the leafs tomorrow. I can't imagine it is moving, but the list of possible causes is pretty short, sounds like.

Can you think of any way something internal in the 9" center could cause this? I can't.

well same thing with too long, the splines may not be grabbing the splines on the output shaft if they are just to long.

and yes, the crush sleeve could cause it or the axles not being long enough for the posi .

im still thinking the blocks on the springs may be part of it. the u bolts can be tight, but if they are not located on the pin, they will move!

They're Strange brand axles and call for a "minus something" thousands press fit (can't remember the number of thousandths. Anyways, he fucked up and added a "plus" whatever number of thousandths bearing the first go round. He made it right and fixed it and apologized, stand up guy.

I only hope it was done right the 2nd time. He came VERY highly recommended by more than one person.

What kind of locker/spool/posi is it? I had a locker do something similar to me, but it was a power-trax unit that replaces spider gears in a 10 bolt. I had to reinstall it because the teeth weren't meshing.

I'm sure you aren't running the same thing, but the locker could screw up. Just a thought.

Edited by Cordell

Guest Removed
The blocks have holes in them to seat around the pins. The pins are through the holes. I really don't think the rear end is moving on the springs.

Here's a pic - http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Trucks/1985_S10/NewHousing3.JPG

im wondering if the springs are just moving to much and the slip yoke at the trans is disengaging. do you have traction bars on this?