Stimulus pitfalls

OSUGT

For those of you who are enjoying a little extra cash in your wallets this month because of the stimulus bill, be careful. This is NOT a tax cut. They adjusted the witholding tables. You may have to pay it back or if you are used to a certain refund, it could be taken out of your refund.

I've told my employer to keep my old tables. Married joint filers take special care.

Good Luck

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/31/pf/taxes/making_work_pay_credit/index.htm?postversion=2009033104

For those of you who are enjoying a little extra cash in your wallets this month because of the stimulus bill, be careful. This is NOT a tax cut. They adjusted the witholding tables. You may have to pay it back or if you are used to a certain refund, it could be taken out of your refund.

I've told my employer to keep my old tables. Married joint filers take special care.

Good Luck

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/31/pf/taxes/making_work_pay_credit/index.htm?postversion=2009033104

If I understand correctly, most people will not be affected negatively by this, as the tax tables will be changed along with the withholding tables... so you should get $400 more throughout the year, and owe $400 less at tax time. The only way you could owe more (or get less of a refund) is if you accidentally get to much throughout the year (aka, maybe you get $500 throughout the year, and owe $400 less). So, you are just paying back money you shouldn't have gotten.