coyote hunting tips

f4isvt

Headed down to southern ohio to go coyote hunting for the first time. Our plan as of the moment is to kill a few birds or something for bait, set up in tree stands with 22's most likely, and have an elctronic call going, sit back slam some brews and wait for them to come in. Anyone have better idea's for bait? I also heard turkey calls work great.

Headed down to southern ohio to go coyote hunting for the first time. Our plan as of the moment is to kill a few birds or something for bait, set up in tree stands with 22's most likely, and have an elctronic call going, sit back slam some brews and wait for them to come in. Anyone have better idea's for bait? I also heard turkey calls work great.

Get out early morning

Electronic calls. (hurt rabbit)

Turkey calls work as well.

22. arent going to get you a very far shot.

leave the beer at the house (Drinking and hunting/shooting is fucking stupid)

Edited by flounder

.22's are a bit low for that. We typically use a .22-250, .270 or .308 with a 12 gauge back up. Overkill maybe.....but you have the range to reach out and touch him or defend at close range.

Hurt rabbit calls, turkey maybe and some fresh blood on the ground for scent is good. Go out rabbit hunting and wack one before hand or a squirrel.

Do you have some optics? Good set of Bino's or a spotting scope. I have hunted at night with red miners lights and shotguns and I have hunted in the day with everything from 22-250, 223 or even a 17 ackley hornet. 22 long rifle is to light for a yote.

With the situation your describing your not going to see anything. You can't move or talk while calling or waiting between calls and you have to hunt into the wind.

I don't know about you, but I don't have decent white or a winter camo pattern.

If you're going with a group, a little more hands on way would be to drive them like poeple do for deer. Get a line of a few people spread out to just within sight of eachother to walk through the woods toward the hunter(s) sitting in wait. The only differnce is the people doing the driving use air horns to keep the coyotes moving away from them and toward the waiting hunter(s).

I've never done this but worked with a guy who did it almost every weekend and it worked very well for him.

If you're going with a group, a little more hands on way would be to drive them like poeple do for deer. Get a line of a few people spread out to just within sight of eachother to walk through the woods toward the hunter(s) sitting in wait. The only differnce is the people doing the driving use air horns to keep the coyotes moving away from them and toward the waiting hunter(s).

I've never done this but worked with a guy who did it almost every weekend and it worked very well for him.

Are you talking about the hunters who said they were going to be sitting in the stand slamming beer? yeah I really want to be apart of that. :missing:

tie a puppy to a tree..let him whine...or break a rabbits leg and do the same.

That's what i heard was the thing to do in the old days but that was when you had to kill the coyote to protect your stock.

My buddy has one of those electric calls that flounder mentioned...he says it works really well. I'm going to borrow it and decimate the coyote population around here....little fuckers killed 2 of our cats last year. :mad:

Where are you around columbus? anytime you want someone to come out and help you smack coyotes, let me know. I can reach out pretty far to get em. :)

Ok... Really far. :) Ive been wanted to get somewhere really bad to shoot some yotes

Where are you around columbus? anytime you want someone to come out and help you smack coyotes, let me know. I can reach out pretty far to get em. :)

Ok... Really far. :) Ive been wanted to get somewhere really bad to shoot some yotes

I'm in the Mount Vernon area. What are using? .22-250?

I'm in the Mount Vernon area. What are using? .22-250?

.308 -

I have been doing a bit of long range shooting lately 500-1000+ yards and love it.

Link from last shoot with pictures

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=19270

Link to the shoot this coming sunday.

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=19994

Get out early morning

Electronic calls. (hurt rabbit)

Turkey calls work as well.

22. arent going to get you a very far shot.

leave the beer at the house (Drinking and hunting/shooting is fucking stupid)

why would a 22 not work. I am not shooting them for more than 50 yards cause I am not that good past 50-60 yards. My choices are 9mm, 12ga, 20 ga, or one of my 2 .22's.

A 22 at 50 yards would potentially work assuming you hit them in the right spot. With a 22, your best bet is a head shot as the low velocity round doesnt cause much damage beyond the size of the actual bullet diameter.. Larger/faster rounds do most of the damage by the velocity of the round entering and exiting. 22's dont do that. You dont want the animal to suffer. I would suggest against the heart/lung shot with a 22 since ithe round doesnt do much damage. The head shot is your best bet (ear area)

once again. STAY AWAY FROM THE BOOZE WHEN HUNTING.

what'd u call them in with?

i shot a possum today...i sent the coon dog after it when it ran into the barn...she was crushing it's ribs but thought i'd be sure and put it out if it was pretending but it wasn't.

Edited by Gump

A 22 is not an ethical choice to hunt an animal of that size. It is every hunters responsibility to ensure a quick clean kill. A wounding is a bad deal. If you wound an animal you are responsible to track and finish the job.

You can kill a deer with a 22 but there is a reason they don't let you.