School me on Torque Wrenchs

Ramsey

Definitely don't go cheap on a Torque Wrench.. they fail easy if you don't take care of them.

I forget the one I use, but it wasn't cheap.. I can tell you that much.

BTW, the digital ones lose calibration over time.. aka don't bother.

Definitely don't go cheap on a Torque Wrench.. they fail easy if you don't take care of them.

I forget the one I use, but it wasn't cheap.. I can tell you that much.

BTW, the digital ones lose calibration over time.. stay away.

Is 250 cheap?

Is 250 cheap?

You could get a nice snap-on wrench for that price.. maybe a little high, IMO. They always tax the shit out of their products, and a lot of time you can find Craftsman items to be just as satisfactory. IIRC I think I have the Craftsman Torque Wrench to be honest.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=55256&group_ID=953&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

That is the one that got me into trouble, well an older version, but still with the plastic bottom. I have heard of many of them breaking. What do you do about the stuff smaller than 20 ft lbs, i will also need a inch lbs i guess as well.

Guest Removed

i have several of them..quailty ones and have them checked and cali'd every year.

its like changing the oil in your car..would you keep driving with out doing it?

i have a low.in-lbs...another in-lb/newton..and a large 50-250ft-lb

i do them yearly now after i kept having issue with a BBC i was working on for a guy. it kept blowing head gaskets and im like wtf? well my one was 15ftlbs off...it dont tighten bolt to well like that. and IMO, i dont trust digitals just yet...

ill stick with my click sticks

Guest Removed
Hey is it possible to recalibrate a torque wrench? Some of my jackass roomates used mine to loosen bolts and shit and now i don't trust it.

yes...and you can even go to jegs on 11th and test it.;)

i think they still have that thing over in the corner by the restroom

i have several of them..quailty ones and have them checked and cali'd every year.

its like changing the oil in your car..would you keep driving with out doing it?

i have a low.in-lbs...another in-lb/newton..and a large 50-250ft-lb

i do them yearly now after i kept having issue with a BBC i was working on for a guy. it kept blowing head gaskets and im like wtf? well my one was 15ftlbs off...it dont tighten bolt to well like that. and IMO, i dont trust digitals just yet...

ill stick with my click sticks

So any you recomend?

Guest mitsumodder
I have a snap-on digital 3/8ths. It is guaranteed to never be out of calibration and they check it once a year. Its accurate the whole measuring range whereas mechanical wrenches are only accurate the center 50% of its range. The constant battery replacment is a little annoying though.

Go with Craftsman. KD Tools makes the torque wrenches for Mac, Matco, Cornwell, and Craftsman. They are pretty good quality and you can get parts fairly easily for the head.

Snap-on's are made by a company called CDI. They're good but not as popular as the KD style.