Mid-Ohio public open track times

Rob1647545496

The Mid-Ohio School is pleased to announce a new way to get on the track! Beginning April 24, 2009, we are opening Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course to the public for Open Track Time during the Open Test and Tune Twilight event.

Whether you have taken our Advanced Defensive Driving Program, Acura High Performance Course or Acura Advanced High Performance Course, or you have never been on track before, bring your own car and participate in our Open Track Time “Lead/Follow Lapping” with The Mid-Ohio School instructors.

If you have taken our Lapping Program, bring your car and drive in our Open Track Time “Open Lapping”.

These programs are a great, cost-effective way for you to get out on track in your vehicle and experience the thrill of the world-renowned Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

You are guaranteed three, 20-minute sessions during Open Track Time participating in either our “Lead/Follow Lapping” with The Mid-Ohio School instructors or the “Open Lapping” for only $195. This program runs from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Friday, April 24, 2009. More dates for 2009 will be announced soon on select Open Test and Tune Twilight dates.

To enroll in Open Track Time, please visit our website at http://www.midohioschool.com. Click the ENROLL NOW button and then select Open Testing & Tuning. Pick the April 24, 2009 “Lead/Follow Lapping” Session or the “Open Lapping” Session. You may also call us at 1-877-793-8667 to enroll in either of these great, new programs.

If you are a licensed racing competitor or Car Club competitor you would still enroll in our tradition Open Testing & Tuning event.

Patty Schwall

Customer Relations Coordinator

The Mid-Ohio School

1-877-793-8667

419-884-4502

interesting....almost like a Funday format it sounds like, except with the lead/follow stuff. Curious as to how they'll do groups and what the restrictions are. It's certainly closer than Nelson and everybody loves running at Mid-Ohio.

Color me a bit skeptical at this point though....you going Rob?

interesting....almost like a Funday format it sounds like, except with the lead/follow stuff. Curious as to how they'll do groups and what the restrictions are. It's certainly closer than Nelson and everybody loves running at Mid-Ohio.

i might have to check it out, it really depends on how crowded it is but if it's crowded then no cuz for a NASA event it is $350 for 2 days and thats with 4 20-minute sessions per day and when the sun is not setting in your eyes.

however i think this might be a good way for those who have never been to learn the track and spend some time with instructors.

yeah, i think the ultimate question will be what does it really take to get into the "open" group where you're not forced to follow the instructors. They mention providing proof of past experience and an instructor signoff. I'm fine with the signoff, but not sure what documentation they really want...like receipts or something?

If I were a club racer I'd be REALLY stoked about the test and tune they're offering there as I guarantee it's the cheapest track time you'll get at Mid-Ohio anytime soon. I do not have a competition license though and don't plan on getting one so it's not an option for me.

• Confused 1

I'd be interested if I could get the signoff as well to run some open lapping though like you mention Rob it's still pricey compared to NASA.

On a side note, anyone going to Putnam Park next month?? My buddy and I are signing up to work it with a friend coming from Chicago to race that event. Maybe bunk up to keep it cheap??

:eek:

hmmm.....I know I'm a bit skepitcal as well. What groups will they think of?

Gr.1 No experience

Gr. 2 Thinks they can drive

Gr. 3 I bought a fast car so I'm must be able to drive

The Mid-Ohio School is pleased to announce a new way to get on the track! Beginning April 24, 2009, we are opening Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course to the public for Open Track Time during the Open Test and Tune Twilight event.

Whether you have taken our Advanced Defensive Driving Program, Acura High Performance Course or Acura Advanced High Performance Course, or you have never been on track before, bring your own car and participate in our Open Track Time “Lead/Follow Lapping” with The Mid-Ohio School instructors.

If you have taken our Lapping Program, bring your car and drive in our Open Track Time “Open Lapping”.

These programs are a great, cost-effective way for you to get out on track in your vehicle and experience the thrill of the world-renowned Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

You are guaranteed three, 20-minute sessions during Open Track Time participating in either our “Lead/Follow Lapping” with The Mid-Ohio School instructors or the “Open Lapping” for only $195. This program runs from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Friday, April 24, 2009. More dates for 2009 will be announced soon on select Open Test and Tune Twilight dates.

To enroll in Open Track Time, please visit our website at http://www.midohioschool.com. Click the ENROLL NOW button and then select Open Testing & Tuning. Pick the April 24, 2009 “Lead/Follow Lapping” Session or the “Open Lapping” Session. You may also call us at 1-877-793-8667 to enroll in either of these great, new programs.

If you are a licensed racing competitor or Car Club competitor you would still enroll in our tradition Open Testing & Tuning event.

Patty Schwall

Customer Relations Coordinator

The Mid-Ohio School

1-877-793-8667

419-884-4502

so, did I read that if you are a Licensed Racer you can only run the 'normal test & tune lapping' weekends? I'm confused? What if I don't bring my 'racecar' but yet a street car...

so, did I read that if you are a Licensed Racer you can only run the 'normal test & tune lapping' weekends? I'm confused? What if I don't bring my 'racecar' but yet a street car...

the way I understand it is that if you have your race license you'll be in the different "test and tune" sessions. I'm imagining something similar to a NASA HPDE4 group for those. I'm sure you can take your street car as long as it passes tech.

You're probably correct on the groupings for the non-racers. When I went back and read it again, only the highest group will not be a follow-the-leader format with the instructors so I'm betting it'd be pretty boring unless you get signed off to do that high group.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, driving around the track in a follow the leader group can be VERY helpful! I've been racing at Mid-Ohio for 10 years and just 2 years ago took the M-O school class. Had over an hour of follow the leader. It was a real eye opener to go that 'slow' around the track and really get to see each corner slowed down. Actually helped me drop my lap times by over 1 second the next race weekend.

I'm wondering if the 'advanced' group still has limited passing on the lapping days... Did anyone go to the one a few weeks ago? I'd love a report on how it was.

Actually, driving around the track in a follow the leader group can be VERY helpful! I've been racing at Mid-Ohio for 10 years and just 2 years ago took the M-O school class.

That's how we run our first Novice run session of the day, a lead follow. Everyone seems to like the help learning the line behind a seasoned driver.

I'm wondering if the 'advanced' group still has limited passing on the lapping days... Did anyone go to the one a few weeks ago? I'd love a report on how it was.

I think most groups, MVP Track Time included, are sticking with the "Point-To-Pass" on straights methodology. It's safe, seems to work well and still offers the high speed thrills. Hope to see you guys at Mid Ohio in October.

Feff