My brain hurts...

zeitgeist57

So who still believes there isnt intelligent life somewhere else? Maybe not that has been to Earth or our solar system, but it is out there....

Despite its 10,000-million-mile diameter, the solar system is dwarfed by the

Milky Way galaxy to which it belongs. But the Milky Way, containing 100,000 million

stars, is only a mote in the universe.

There are thousands of millions of such galaxies, most with their own myriad stars

having their own planetary systems. If only 1/10,000 of 1 per cent of these planets

harbour a civilization - and this is a very conservative estimate - the universe must teem with more than 100 million million civilizations.

Despite its 10,000-million-mile diameter, the solar system is dwarfed by the

Milky Way galaxy to which it belongs. But the Milky Way, containing 100,000 million

stars, is only a mote in the universe.

There are thousands of millions of such galaxies, most with their own myriad stars

having their own planetary systems. If only 1/10,000 of 1 per cent of these planets

harbour a civilization - and this is a very conservative estimate - the universe must teem with more than 100 million million civilizations.

^What he said. I refused to believe we are the ONLY ones. :cool:

Someone put me in the fastest shuttle we have and send me out.. I want to see the milky way first hand.

Assuming HUGE advancements are made and you can somehow travel the universal speed limit of light, it's gonna take you more than a thousand long lifetimes to travel across the Milky Way.

While statistical projections point out that there must be other complex life out there, I don't believe it. The earth is not a common rock in a common star system, in a common galaxy. The balance of light, minerals, orbital planets and other necessities for life to form on earth is so incredibly rare, that it is absolutely unimaginable of all the things that contribute to it. I think that there is probably a microbial life form in many places across the universe, but complex life? It's rare.

Assuming HUGE advancements are made and you can somehow travel the universal speed limit of light, it's gonna take you more than a thousand long lifetimes to travel across the Milky Way.

While statistical projections point out that there must be other complex life out there, I don't believe it. The earth is not a common rock in a common star system, in a common galaxy. The balance of light, minerals, orbital planets and other necessities for life to form on earth is so incredibly rare, that it is absolutely unimaginable of all the things that contribute to it. I think that there is probably a microbial life form in many places across the universe, but complex life? It's rare.

Rare, certainly. But the amount of chances it would be given make it very very possible to have one other planet with complex life. And probably more. Will humans ever encounter the other complex life is a much much smaller possibility than weather it is out there.

Rare, certainly. But the amount of chances it would be given make it very very possible to have one other planet with complex life. And probably more. Will humans ever encounter the other complex life is a much much smaller possibility than weather it is out there.

Ummm, obviously. Stating rarity does not decline the possibility of chance. That is the nature of rarity. So, therefore, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Given THIS particular time in the Universe, you say there is no other complex life on any other planet, anywhere in space. I'll give you that.

Now, what about in time??? Do you still think...over BILLIONS of years that there never once was...or ever will be...complex life forms anywhere else in the universe? :)

http://thefutureofourworld.ytmnd.com/

Given THIS particular time in the Universe, you say there is no other complex life on any other planet, anywhere in space. I'll give you that.

Now, what about in time??? Do you still think...over BILLIONS of years that there never once was...or ever will be...complex life forms anywhere else in the universe? :)

http://thefutureofourworld.ytmnd.com/

That is pointless to ponder. How can you possibly argue in either direction? In order for there to have been other complex life at any point in time, the same extremely extremely extremely rare elements would need to have existed, in particular order and under specific consequences; just like now. To put any formula or projection in to play to predict is completely senseless, as there are so many anomalies and rarities involved that a measly calculation cannot account for. Sure, there may have been complex super-beasts fully developed in some star system 400 billion light years away, but by assuming there has been, what's the point?

Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one? -- Bob Monkhouse

We can't even see the other side of our own galaxy. The "milky" part keeps us from looking across it and out of our backdoor. All the knowledge we have of the universe is from looking out of the front windshield. So, to assume we really know anything is as useless as the information we think we know which we base what we know on.

That is pointless to ponder. How can you possibly argue in either direction? In order for there to have been other complex life at any point in time, the same extremely extremely extremely rare elements would need to have existed, in particular order and under specific consequences; just like now. To put any formula or projection in to play to predict is completely senseless, as there are so many anomalies and rarities involved that a measly calculation cannot account for. Sure, there may have been complex super-beasts fully developed in some star system 400 billion light years away, but by assuming there has been, what's the point?

He can make those assumptions about time becasue many of the elements that we are made of and that contribute to our existence come from other galaxies and parts of the universe far from this one. There is a cosmic dust surrounding us that isn't from here and it's assumed it comes the collapses of stars.

Some day when our star burns out, if our galaxy has collapsed on itself by then, our DNA and everything that made us possible will be floating around space. Perhaps, some of it will land on a planet capable of sustaining life and our molecules will take hold and start anew.

It could take millions of years of floating around before we find a place though.