Another newbie here...

godzilla

hey - im Mike - im not much into the racing scene really, I came from a rock crawling background. I spent all my time and money making my truck slower actually :) I recently got the bug again and picked up an old isuzu trooper I plan to bring back to life, im just looking for some local advice, currently looking for a good machine shop in Columbus to rebuld my head and possibly rebuild my bottom end if I decided to go with it.

The trooper will probably not be another crawler...I wont build another one of those until after im Divorced or my kids grow up and move out!

im in westerville if anyone is looking to hang out or shoot the shit im interested because my wife cant stand to hear me talk about it any more!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

of my POS trooper :) Sure!

Here is a pic from the dude I bought it from, crappy cell pic:

http://www.mshilling.net/images/trooper_1.jpg

Here's me, pulling the motor last weekend:

http://www.mshilling.net/images/trooper_2.jpg

Here is the condition of the valves...amazingly this truck made it home from Indy to Columbus on 2 cylinders :)

http://www.mshilling.net/images/trooper_3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ill get some pics of my old truck. It was a 2000 tacoma, with a solid axle, dual transfer cases, driveline e-brake, etc...it was unique because it used a toyota front axle which required tons of fabrication due to the "wrong side" drop differential. I say wrong side in quotes because to me, using jeep parts on a toyota is just wrong, so IMNSHO, it was the only way to go :)

Did all the work myself, including cutting off the IFS of a leased tacoma with 12,000 miles on it :p

Ill get some pics of my old truck. It was a 2000 tacoma, with a solid axle, dual transfer cases, driveline e-brake, etc...it was unique because it used a toyota front axle which required tons of fabrication due to the "wrong side" drop differential. I say wrong side in quotes because to me, using jeep parts on a toyota is just wrong, so IMNSHO, it was the only way to go :)

Did all the work myself, including cutting off the IFS of a leased tacoma with 12,000 miles on it :p

hah ouch.. i grew up around off roading every weekend (nore desert high speed then crawling) out in southern california. but out here in ohio no one offroads shittt

my current dd is an 08 impreza - non-wrx - plain jane impreza. It's an alright car but has been in the shop a LOT for what I chalk up to poor quality craftsmanship and rushed building. It is a pretty fun car to drive, when its not being fixed.

What do you mean "dig race in the dirt?" Do I dig dirt racing? Hell yeah...probably my favorite kind of racing!

my current dd is an 08 impreza - non-wrx - plain jane impreza. It's an alright car but has been in the shop a LOT for what I chalk up to poor quality craftsmanship and rushed building. It is a pretty fun car to drive, when its not being fixed.

Care to share some of the issues? A good friend just bought one and I thought it seemed pretty solid.

Heres a few gratuitous poser shots of my old taco, this was its maiden voyage after the axle conversion

http://www.mshilling.net/images/taco3.jpg

http://www.mshilling.net/images/taco2.jpg

Care to share some of the issues? A good friend just bought one and I thought it seemed pretty solid.

Within the first month, the A/C died. Was told "no worries, must have not been charged fully from the factory". Charge and go home. A/C works, but smells funny (similarly like 134a refrigerant :eek:). Lasted a week, hot again. Brought it back, was told 6 weeks for the part (heater core), but after an email to corporate, they magically had one that week. This was August mind you, so it was damn hot. Got the car back with a damaged dash, scratches all over the steering wheel controls and console (obviously set down on the shop floor...) so another trip to the shop after waiting for parts to replace my damaged dash.

Tomorrow I get to bring it in for the 3rd time because the traction control and descent control lights are lit constantly. Was told it was a sensor in the steering wheel, they reset the code and sent me packing. Lasted a month. Came back on, reset code, lasted me an hour. Now they are getting me the part and will fix right this time.

Ever since the heater core replacement, there are some awful rattles in my dash. This is not a Subaru problem, but definitely a Byers Subaru problem. I am beginning to see a trend here, Byers Subaru does ok rush work. Not great work.

Overall build quality seems a little poor. Rattles, squeaks, etc...but where it counts, driveline, engine, transmission, its a very solid car. I just think with the redesign for 08 they left some fit and finish off. I bought the car off a recommendation from a friend with an 05 WRX and his car to this day has been problem free and feels amazing. Hopefully I just got the one that was skipped in the QC section of the assembly line because I want to believe its a great car.

• Upvote 2

Welcome and +rep.

As far as Byers, my dad has had some similar issues with them. They refused to cover some really stupid shit on his Charger under warranty, even though they obviously weren't "normal maintenance" items as they claimed. A letter to Chrysler customer care fixed that....Although when they went to replace the rear wheel bearings they damaged the rear axle to an extent that an entire new one had to be ordered - which took about a week. He also had a light in the HVAC control unit burn out, which required the whole unit to be replaced. They replaced it with an '09 model unit, which has entirely different knobs and chrome trim that isn't anywhere on his '06 model, and it looks retarded and out of place. This is still unresolved...

Then at the time that work was done, some more issues on a paint defect were discussed. They said it would be covered under warranty no problem, but that they didn't have a "certified chrysler body shop" on site. When he went to try to get it resolved elsewhere, everyone else claims he's damaged the car and it won't be covered!!! At least two other Dodge dealerships have told him that byers CAN actually do their own body work, but they like to send all their warranty jobs to other dealers - awesome.

I suggest you write a horrible complaint letter about Byers to Subaru Corporate. They need to get shit on really really bad. Horrible customer service. Wow that was long, sorry :).

Rock crawling? In Ohio? Where might that be?

I used to be into offroading, had an 87 Toyota that finally died on the side of a hill in the rain, and had a Samurai that just didn't do it for me. Now I just ride ATV, much easier to transport and cheaper in the long run.

Rock crawling? In Ohio? Where might that be?

No unfortunately that is not here. When I moved here is right about the same time I started having kids (4 years ago) and thats the same time my truck "wasn't practical" anymore...

Those pictures are from Uwharrie national forest in North Carolina.

Ahhh just found a donor vehicle!! 1989 isuzu pup, same motor, 135K less miles than my junk. Im'a slap that thing in my trooper and drive it like I stole it :) My wife's not thrilled about the thought of a parts truck in the garage, but she'll survive! Was quoted 2500 for a rebuild, and this $500 "runs great" pup just might keep me running another 50K miles! :bangbang: